Do I have an Algae problem? Algae taking up 50% of my 75 gallon tank. How do I fix? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do I have an algae problem ?
Yes, of course you do, are you kidding me? 12 92.31%
No, that is normal. 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rehome the fish, tear down the tank. Lessen everything with new tank; light, food, ferts. See if that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWolf View Post
Rehome the fish, tear down the tank. Lessen everything with new tank; light, food, ferts. See if that works.
Tank update.

Look at all the algae I took out. That is a 5 gallon home depot bucket filled with nasty, gross and disgusting long hair algae.

https://goo.gl/photos/Tds7pmueyXyeo5AaA

Did some massive water changes.

The tank looks much better without all that algae and 90% of the poll numbers said that was a big algae problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06407.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	617514  

Natasha and Natasha like this.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Tank update.

Look at all the algae I took out. That is a 5 gallon home depot bucket filled with nasty, gross and disgusting long hair algae.

https://goo.gl/photos/Tds7pmueyXyeo5AaA

Did some massive water changes.

The tank looks much better without all that algae and 90% of the poll numbers said that was a big algae problem.
LOL! Yep, that's some algae farm you got there. Good job on that! Looks much nicer. My two favorite pieces of equipment: Vortex Diatom Filter & Green Killing Machine. I'm working with a friend to make an LED UV light, like you spoke of in another thread. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
@SpaceLord I'm glad to see you cleaned it up and didnt tear it down. The tank looks much better. That is one nasty bucket of goo you have there!

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't nuke the autofeeder, just tame it.
It looks the Eheim feeder, which should have an adjustable dispenser. Make the opening smaller and test it while you're home so you can fine tune it. These feeders are helpful imo.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedood View Post
@SpaceLord I'm glad to see you cleaned it up and didnt tear it down. The tank looks much better. That is one nasty bucket of goo you have there!
it even smells disgusting and nasty. This algae was all like one big piece!! I pulled it out with one scoop. There was so much junk trapped that I had to do an aggressive water change to clear up the aquarium. The fish can finally swim again!

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
it even smells disgusting and nasty. This algae was all like one big piece!! I pulled it out with one scoop. There was so much junk trapped that I had to do an aggressive water change to clear up the aquarium. The fish can finally swim again!
I'm just glad you didnt have to do a tear down. Kind of amazing how fast algae can completely take over without regular maint. Do you have a garden? That should make some good fertilizer for a garden or plants.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Last edited by thedood; 04-11-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yup, all you need is

Any tank with a lot of light, left alone for a few weeks will end up like that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode