Help with Algae ID - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Help with Algae ID

It's a 4 years old 10 gal RCS tank. About 2 months ago I've noticed this brown/black stuff growing on the back glass of the tank. Have to admit that for the last few months I didn't keep up with water changes too well. Now I change the water as I did in the begging, about 20% every 2 weeks. I have about 100 RCS and feed them every other day.
What kind of algae is this and how to get rid of it?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	algae1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	595050  

Click image for larger version

Name:	algae2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	595058  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I cannot clearly see due to all the reflections. Is it like a slime ? how easy is it to remove (just drag the finger, rub with sponge, get that razor out). Is it like a mat or does it grow in small tuffs ?

From what little I can see I would go with BGA - cyanobacteria. It can grow in floating mats and near the waters age. It also grows on the substrate. Looks similar to what you have ?

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The green stuff could be BGA but what is the black one? I try to scrape it off with a credit card and it's not like it's falling apart on it's own, you have to put some effort. But ones it gets off it's kind of sticky/spongy thing. It easily falls apart ones it's not attached to anything anymore. It sticks to the plants, glass, gravel.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, try to spot dose a little excel on a part covered with the black one with the filter off. Does it turn pink or white ?

I have seen this very fine type of BBA? in low tech tanks that may fit your description /algae. It is like a velvet mat.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't have excel unfortunately. Forgot to mention that the algae was about 3mm long when I scraped it off. When I first saw it I though well, it is time to replace the bulb. I replaced it with a new one and it still grows.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yes, sounds like the type of bba I have in mind. Do you have some hydrogen peroxide? You can also use it to treat.

From the looks of it, the infestation is severe enough to require a whole tank treatment. It needs to be physically removed when possible and active treatments. Once it grows it is very hard to get rid of just by modified tank parameters.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I guess I have to inject H2O2 locally, right? What do you mean by whole tank treatment? I will have to remove all the shrimp, plants, etc? And if I do it locally will it change the water parameters in the way that it's gonna kill my shrimp?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Before zapping it remove it manually. Drop the water level below it and scrape the glass with a new razor blade if the credit card didn't work well. I'd put a paper towel down to catch if your hand drops any.

Zapping is better used when the plants are involved. It's easy to get any kind of algae off tank walls.

I had a monster CB/GDA and maybe GSA mat on my tank a year ago due to neglect/stagnant water in that spot then too much light, wiped it off and it didn't return. I looked at the nasty thing for about a month to see if it would die but it just got uglier so I took a number of paper towels and wiped it off when the water level was low. I managed to avoid dropping any of it into the water somehow. There was some GSA under it that I rubbed off with my usual Mr. Clean sponge as the tank is acrylic, no razor blades allowed. I hope that once the mat is gone and you have cleaned up the tank it won't return.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Before zapping it remove it manually.
Will do that. What about the plants? Is there a way to get it off?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode