• 2 Post By Izzy-
  • 2 Post By aquaticaddict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Project: 10gal. Planted [Low Tech | Nano]

Hey folks,

I've decided it's time to start a thread on my little project tank. The funny thing is this actually started as a freebie 10 gallon tank that was given to me for my 2.5 year old son... Well that's how it started anyways ... Month later and $200+ and here we are...

I started out with CaribSea FloraMAX planted aquarium substrate black.

Sadly in my area we have lost some great LFS's to the downturn in the economy over the last 5 years or so... With that being said I built this setup mostly off of Amazon & Petsmart.

I had a successful 55 gal. Reef tank for about 6 years. Then a 4,000 gallon pond but that was years ago... Took a break from the hobby for a number of years but I've got bitten by "the bug" again with this little 10 gallon. Funny how things work out, lol.. Anyways.. I'll be honest I've never done a planted freshwater setup like this before.

Like most tanks it's a labor of love / work in progress and I must say I've really been enjoying getting it all together. Nothing like seeing the excitement on my sons face as he stares off into the tank with a smile!

Equipment specs so far:

Lighting - I started with the Marineland hidden LED strip light that I bought at Petsmart, not a bad little LED all things considered but after some research I wanted something a bit different. I ended up going with a Finnex Stingray 20" LED.

Filtration - Top Fin power filter 10 HOB.. Using bio balls and and foam insert as media currently.

Heater - Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater 50w.

Powerhead - SunSun JVP-110 528 GPH Mini Aquarium Circulation pump. For added surface agitation.

And last but not least... Plants... I mean this is "the planted forum" after all right?!

Plants:
-Dwarf Anubias
-Rosette Sword
-Cryptocoryne Undulata "red"
-Dwarf Hair Grass

Here's a short video from the other day before planting some dwarf hair grass... More updates to come, enjoy! 🏼️

Update: 1-24-16

Added a few small clumps of Dwarf Hair grass. At this point I think I'm done messing with / adding to the tank for now.. Time to sit back and enjoy it and let Mother Nature take over. (Aside from general maintenance and dosing of course )

Update: 3-20-16

Here's a little video of the tanks progression, enjoy.

Last edited by WaterGuy82; 03-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

Beautiful!!
WaterGuy82 and WaterGuy82 like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Why thank you

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice job, I like the driftwood you have in there.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Nice job, I like the driftwood you have in there.

Thank you! It's exactly what I had in mind for the center piece and I got lucky and found it at a LFS in a neighboring city. It even came with attached Anubias.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question on my lighting times... Right now I have that Finnex stingray on like 12 hour timer..

So far so good, just wondering if that's about right or should I lessen it? Add more hours?

What do you guys think out there in aquarium land?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think your going to have some algae problems. Too much light unless your running co2 and ferts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I think your going to have some algae problems. Too much light unless your running co2 and ferts.

Well I'm using dosing seachem flourish excel and flourish.. No co2, but that's why I'm asking because if that's too much run time I'll turn it down some...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think it's too much run time and too much light. Raise it or put some gray fiberglass screen under it. The tank is not very deep so the par your giving is pretty high for low tech, IMO.
I have the stingray 20" on a 20 long over glass on screen to get it to a low enough par. Before I moved in December I had the light over a 10 like yours and found I needed to raise it and use screen to get it to low light levels.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

Nice 10 gal! Your little neons look happy!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I think it's too much run time and too much light. Raise it or put some gray fiberglass screen under it. The tank is not very deep so the par your giving is pretty high for low tech, IMO.
I have the stingray 20" on a 20 long over glass on screen to get it to a low enough par. Before I moved in December I had the light over a 10 like yours and found I needed to raise it and use screen to get it to low light levels.

And here I thought the stingray was low-tech I guess for a 10 gallon not so much. Anyways I'd rather have more light than not enough I'll look into your suggestions I appreciate the input thank you very much.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticaddict View Post
Nice 10 gal! Your little neons look happy!

Thank you! And yes the neons are very happy in there LOL. I currently have six of the neon tetras and three ghost shrimp/feeder shrimp that have been alive in there for a number of weeks now. And of course a few uninvited snails that came with the Driftwood but it's all good just added cleanup crew is the way I'm looking at it, if they get out of control I'll start plucking them out and worry about it then.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode