I have 2 spare 2.5g tanks lying around and would like to make a small planted tank out of one of them. So here goes the questions:
1. I want to use Eco-Complete, but will there be any problems of me opening the bag and only using a little of it for my tank and then leaving the rest in the bag for a later date? Or is it once opened you must use? What is the shelf life of an opened bag? Do I rinse Eco-Complete before use?
2. Would it be a problem to keep Brazillian Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)? No other plants really interest me other than glosso and riccia. Maybe some moss on a small piece of driftwood. I want to keep plants that don't grow tall... When the plants overgrow the tank, I plan to move them to a larger one later. I am in the works planning a tank with live plants for my red eye crocodile skinks, but in the meantime I would like to keep a small planted tank.
3. What lighting should I get for such a small tank? Wattage? Mounting light?
4. What supplements will the tank need? What test kits other than the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH? Can a tank this small need CO2 injection?
5. Not holding my breath, but is there any fish that would be okay in a tank this size? Guppy, white cloud minnow, cory, otto, etc??? I was thinking dwarf puffer, but I don't want snails in the tank... Maybe 2 fishes if possible, but like I said, I am not holding my breath.
6. Am I forgetting about anything very important when it comes to keeping a planted tank? It's been so long for me I don't remember everything.
Some background on me: I have been keeping aquariums for years. Mostly fw fish only tanks. For the past 3 months I have been also keeping nano sw tanks. Many years ago I maintained a 150g fully planted tank with community fish. So I am not a complete noob, just need a refresher and help with newer products available.