Semi newb need plant/substrate suggestions for fluval spec III 2.6g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Semi newb need plant/substrate suggestions for fluval spec III 2.6g

So I thought I knew a fair amount about tank keeping before I found this site haha after reading around some of the threads I have realized just how much I don't know. So my questions are as follows:
I have a new fluval spec III and want to do fully planted, proper substrate, the whole shebang but I honestly am a little overwhelmed by all the varying information out there that I have no idea where even to begin. As of now I am not planning to do CO2, but would that limit my selection too much? And will the stock lighting on the spec be enough to sustain plants? I can't seem to find w straight answer on that
Any help is much appreciated

So, for substrate what's the best? I have a bag of Eco-complete, but I have also heard about activ-flora and floramax. Would it be beneficial to mix a few different ones?
Also do I need a sand/gravel cap? And if so what do you recommend

As for plants, I want to create a driftwood/rock cave and cover it with some type of hanging moss to give a willow tree effect, but I need something that will work for the nano. Anything that doesn't need a lot of trimming or co2 but all options welcome

I also want some type of fore ground carpeting plant or grass but I have no idea about these

And what for taller or leaved plants? Anything that won't outgrow the tank?

For pebbles I have a ton of beautiful smooth marble and Quartz amount others that I picked myself off a beach, can I just boil them and use them or is it more of a process?

And lastly I love the red/pink hues I have seen in my LFS planted tanks, any of these colored species work for nano tanks?

Thanks already for even bothering to read through all that, I know what look I want but after days of Internet research I'm no closer to getting started. And let me know if there is something I have not considered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a Fluval Spec III 2.6g. I use Eco-Complete for a substrate in that tank. Nothing else. (A sand cap wouldn't work, anyway. Larger grains end up on top of smaller ones, so the sand would end up on the bottom.)

The stock light is enough for only low light plants. You can easily upgrade it if you want. It's just a clip on, and you can buy more powerful clip on lights such as those by Finnex.

Just about any moss will be fine without CO2. Don't use Java moss, though. Grows too fast. Maybe weeping moss?

Carpeting plants will be tough without higher light than the tank comes with. In low light, even plants that don't need high light will tend to grow tall and un-carpet-like.

Marble and quartz should be fine in your tank.

Red/pink plants will grow in nano tanks, but generally they need high light and CO2 to get those nice red colors.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!!

What type of light would I need to put me in the medium/high light range? Would that mean a lot more trimming needed? I don't know much about lighting details, don't want to end up spending a bunch of money on one that still isn't bright enough
Or that is too bright

And is there an easy/not too expensive way to do co2? Or should I just not bother since I'm not terribly experienced?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Moss would grow very well in that tank using the stock light, no CO2 required. i find it best to attach the moss to something that can easily be removed from the tank for trimming, it makes much less mess.

For my tastes, in small tanks simple is best so my suggestion is to stick to the moss and one or two other low-light plants.

Substrate- if you're not planting anything that needs to be anchored to the substrate through fine roots or are root feeders, then it's just a matter of texture and colour preference.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode