LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano tank/fish question

I posted the following at another forum, Reddit/aquariums:

"Yes, I'm a noob. But so far so good!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It's a Fluval Spec V. Upgraded to Stingray LED 16". 25 watt heater, added some Purigen. Mopani driftwood, black gravel, root tabs. Java fern (barely visible in these shots), Amazon sword (which I know will get too big), frogbit (doing gangbusters so far), Anubias, full size and nana petite, dwarf sagittarius. A tiny piece of dwarf baby tears hitchhiked with the frogbit, so I'm letting it grow floating. The java was a gift from a friend, but was really beat up, so heavily trimmed down. Some substrate came with it which got my tank cycled really quickly.

Fish are 3 serpae tetra and 4 zebra danios. I know thats a beginner fish, but I gotta say I enjoy them a lot. Very active. One is the boss... larger and more yellow, but they're all thriving. They love the intake area and the outflow stream. They sometimes swim madly into it like a salmon going up a waterfall. There's also a zone I call the hot tub... about a half inch of water between the surface and the top of a large anubias leaf that they swim in and out of all the time... must be warm up there.

I've been adding small amounts (5-10 drops) of Excell and Flourish every other day or so. Keeping it at 76 degrees F, edges up to 77.5 after a few hours under the light.

Really loving this hobby. Just wanted to share. Tank is one week old today. So far, zero melting of any of the plants, though the dwarf sag went in only 2 days ago."

I received responses that this was far too small a setup for these fish. Meanwhile, the danio do chase each other around, but are active and healthy. The serape are chill and only chase each other once in a while.

I want another opinion(s).

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_474333980.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	574817  

Name:	IMG_474333937.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	574825  

Name:	IMG_474334107.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	574833  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is far too small a setup for these fish.

A Fluval Spec V is 5 gallons. That is too small. These are active schooling fish that need space to swim.

The Serpae tetras are likely to get aggressive with so few of them confined in such a small space.
Veritas and Veritas like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
yeah, definitely too small.

look into microrasboras, CPDs, or other nano fish. Zebra Danios need a lot of room to swim - they might look happy, but it's not suitable.

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The serpae only chase each other rarely. Generally they are completely chill.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You've only had the tank a week. The fish are likely juveniles, and have yet to reach their adult size (and adult behaviors).
Veritas and Veritas like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK, so what should I do?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
take the fish back to Petco, research into "Nano Fish" There is an excellent thread/list on the site here.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22...st-v1-0-a.html

Based on your responses to the Reddit thread though, I might be wasting my time replying

https://www.reddit.com/r/Aquariums/c.../zebra_danios/

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

See if you can trade those fish in for more suitable ones. A small school of nano fish, as Veritas suggested.

Or one striking fish that will be fine in a small tank: a betta, or a dwarf puffer, say.

Or some red cherry shrimp.

I know it's tempting to overstock your tank (we've all been there), but you'll enjoy your tank a lot more in the long run if you choose suitable inhabitants.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
See if you can trade those fish in for more suitable ones. A small school of nano fish, as Veritas suggested.

Or one striking fish that will be fine in a small tank: a betta, or a dwarf puffer, say.

Or some red cherry shrimp.

I know it's tempting to overstock your tank (we've all been there), but you'll enjoy your tank a lot more in the long run if you choose suitable inhabitants.
Seriously: What's going to happen if I leave it as-is? How will it not be enjoyable?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
Seriously: What's going to happen if I leave it as-is? How will it not be enjoyable?
Your fish are more likely to get sick because of the stress of being kept in such an unsuitable tank. Your serpae tetras will start ripping the fins of their tankmates (they are notoriously aggressive, especially when kept in small groups and small spaces). They will die before their time, rather than living the long, healthy life we fishkeepers want for our charges.

I expect that before long, you will be posting here or on Reddit, asking what to do about your sick and/or injured fish.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
You should return all those fish, they need much larger/longer tanks as they are extremely active. Its like taking a hyper kid and stuffing it in a medium dog kennel/cage-going to stress them out and make them more agitated (aggressive-aka nippy), not to mention the high nitrates as you're way over stocked.

If you want a beginner fish that will fit a 5g tank get a (1) betta, get omega one or new life spectrum betta pellets (2 best brands of betta food-low in filler), and turn heat up to 78-80F. I'd advise you get some wet-dry sand paper and smoothen out the driftwood before getting a betta though as their fins are very delicate. Also pick up a piece of black sponge/foam filter media and tie it to the intake slots of the tank-if not covered betta fins can get sucked in and shredded when the fish tries to pull away (more common with long finned than plakats or females).
Aside from those minor tweaks bettas are very easy to keep and very enjoyable when kept properly (filterer heated tank), they're like underwater puppies with their own personalities and quirks. However they are 'Siamese fighting fish' so in a 5g I'd recommend keeping just the 1 betta. If you want you can try a snail (nerite, mystery) but they're poop machines and not all bettas will share their tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyShellfish View Post
I posted the following at another forum, Reddit/aquariums:

"Yes, I'm a noob. But so far so good!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It's a Fluval Spec V. Upgraded to Stingray LED 16". 25 watt heater, added some Purigen. Mopani driftwood, black gravel, root tabs. Java fern (barely visible in these shots), Amazon sword (which I know will get too big), frogbit (doing gangbusters so far), Anubias, full size and nana petite, dwarf sagittarius. A tiny piece of dwarf baby tears hitchhiked with the frogbit, so I'm letting it grow floating. The java was a gift from a friend, but was really beat up, so heavily trimmed down. Some substrate came with it which got my tank cycled really quickly.

Fish are 3 serpae tetra and 4 zebra danios. I know thats a beginner fish, but I gotta say I enjoy them a lot. Very active. One is the boss... larger and more yellow, but they're all thriving. They love the intake area and the outflow stream. They sometimes swim madly into it like a salmon going up a waterfall. There's also a zone I call the hot tub... about a half inch of water between the surface and the top of a large anubias leaf that they swim in and out of all the time... must be warm up there.

I've been adding small amounts (5-10 drops) of Excell and Flourish every other day or so. Keeping it at 76 degrees F, edges up to 77.5 after a few hours under the light.

Really loving this hobby. Just wanted to share. Tank is one week old today. So far, zero melting of any of the plants, though the dwarf sag went in only 2 days ago."

I received responses that this was far too small a setup for these fish. Meanwhile, the danio do chase each other around, but are active and healthy. The serape are chill and only chase each other once in a while.

I want another opinion(s).

Thoughts?

Yo dude... You have people with years of experience doing this, telling you the deal with your current tank set up... It's too small for what you have inside it, period. Based from what you've said on here and on reddit, you're looking for someone to come out and say "oh it's cool man, they can all live in that 5g together w/o problems".... I'm like 99.99% sure you won't get that here...

Your last two bits of your post are interesting; you say you're loving this hobby but when given some advice that I'm assuming you don't want to hear, i.e. return fish, you try and justify the current activity going on, not what's going to happen in a week, month, year but even with that said...
Your tank is just over a week young!! Is it cycled? With the fish that are in it and with the little stock filter that tank comes with it won't be too long before you have some floaters... Even if it was cycled, still too much... If you're new to keeping fish or a planted aquarium or both you will need to do your research.. don't just take the guy in the blue shirts word at petco... Forums like this and the rest of the internet are great places to learn about this hobby... Good luck man..

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree with the last poster. Lots of passionate enthusiasts here, if you listen you will make your and your fishes' lives easier.

If they still have that dollar a gallon sale, you could get a 10g for a tenner.
Keep the other tank up and cycled with a small community fish or two, maybe 2 guppy males.
The small tank is your standby hospital.
Nuthatch and Nuthatch like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode