Critique? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Critique?

What do you guys think of my little 9 gal nano? I feel like something needs to change- ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452635556083.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	573898  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

May be add something red for contrast? You can probably fit a dwarf lotus or some ludwigia repens.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:17 PM
Algae Grower

I really like it. What's the blob at the top right?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I can't seem to find anything red locally- I will look around on online stores!

the blob is some plants that the fish pulled loose and/ or leaves. The bettas like it under there so I don't clean it out lol
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks good. One thing i notice is that the plant on the left mid-ground (water wisteria?) blocks the plant behind it and makes that back left corner seem a bit sparse. Since it will probably get taller and possibly thicker that wisteria may look good behind/to the right of the driftwood and a shorter plant could go where it is now or you could switch it with the plant currently behind it. If you are using it to try to hide the filter you could get a couple more stems to go around the filter.

Some Anubias petite could also give a nice dark green accent around the base of the driftwood.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Id stick a white or black background on the back of the tank.

also I'd make a clump of elodea and stick it in the front left corner to give something with a bit of height, good colour and not being too visually obstructive...plus fish love to nibble on it.

I just lay a few strands out straight on the ground, tie the bottom end together with some nylon thread and stick it in the substrate.it looks so much better than trying to stick individual pieces in.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the suggestions! I saw there's a LFS down the road from where I work.. I'm going to see if they carry plants. maybe I can find those suggested above
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can also buy things from the for sale section of the forums. There's some posters who have as many varieties of plants as the online stores, and they're generally very good about responding and getting the plants to you quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 20 gal low tech Dutch
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Algae Grower

Also, check out eBay. I got some great plants this way. Dwarf sagittarius, frog bit and anubias nana petite, which I could not find locally. Buy from a reputable seller and you will be happy.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It's just so cold out, I don't like buying anything live in the cold months.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with iceburg and Nordic. They said pretty much what I had in mind. Put a black background so the filter and heater are less visible. Move the Wisteria to the right back corner, and leave the left side open. This way the wood leads the eye from high to low. Maybe also move the Anubias between the rock and the wood and leave HC to fill that place. Also make sure the substrate is leveled in front. Just my critique, you asked for it .

I wouldn't add any more plants as you have plenty big plants for your aquarium size.

Also, what do you mean by bettas How many do you have there ? Hope they are all females.

On hiatus till later this year
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yep, they're all females. I have 4.. one of them died recently. they get along pretty well, just few nips at feeding time
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
If you want to keep that a sorority tank I'd strongly suggest you densely plant that tank-I'm talking you cannot see front to back of the tank (including by the surface) or from side to side-no wide open areas at all! They may be peaceful now but sororities are delicate and volatile-the peace rarely lasts which is why sororities fall apart/get dismantled. Having a TON of line of sight break up helps reduce damage greatly "out of sight out of mid".

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
If you want to keep that a sorority tank I'd strongly suggest you densely plant that tank-I'm talking you cannot see front to back of the tank (including by the surface) or from side to side-no wide open areas at all! They may be peaceful now but sororities are delicate and volatile-the peace rarely lasts which is why sororities fall apart/get dismantled. Having a TON of line of sight break up helps reduce damage greatly "out of sight out of mid".
I agree with that. these were my left over bettas from my breeding days, lol. I got tired of having tanks everywhere I wanted to condense.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode