Low-tech Mr. Aqua 1.5 desktop "Untitled" - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Very nice hardscape, and especially for a tank this size. Can't wait to see it flooded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ó TC ó
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Lately since it's been the holiday season, there were times when I was not available to keep the set-up sprayed for 3-4 days. A DSM (IMO) is high maintenance as you have to be around every day of the process (unless you have an automated fogger of some sort) and air it out also to prevent mold.

Unfortunately, some of my buces and MP have become brown or dried out. Luckily I got the buces at an incredible low price, so I'm not too bummed. As more and more things are dying off, I'm wondering if I should just flood this thing. I'm very discouraged and bummed as my first dry start was very unsuccessful and flooding the tank feels like the only option to save what is left. I had such high hopes for this tank.

Should I be more patient w/ the DSM (it's been about two weeks) or flood it in an attempt to save it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||
post #63 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Day 25 of dry start:

So I've decided to be more patient and not flood this sucker. So here's the status.

Most of the buces have melted away sadly. The ones that survived happened to be the ones under the shade of the branches. So I think the light was just too intense for them. I removed the dead matter and will probably try again once this is flooded and I have some floaters to diffuse the light.

The MP and rose moss on the top branches have, to my observation and belief, mostly dried out or melted. However, some of those parts are suddenly showing a very tiny, tiny bit of new growth and greenness. I feel like it's just a waiting game at this point to see if they bounce back, but the growth is extremely very slow.

The most progress has probably been the lowest part of the scape. The rose moss, mini fissidens, and MP are all still green (so far) and recently have shown new, very green growth.

I'm hoping that the progress continues. Not sure how long I plan to keep this going. It's been a long painful process that I most likely will not try again. I say that now since I've lost a few plants. If I actually get the results I've imagined, my opinion may change. I'll update with photos later tonight.

||
||

post #64 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Either reduce light intensity or raise the light. At such close quarters it's too hard to keep the plants from dryingnout. You can lower the light again when you flood. DSM on substrate is a lot easier than on rock/wood.
post #65 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Low-tech Mr. Aqua 1.5 desktop "Untitled"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post
Either reduce light intensity or raise the light. At such close quarters it's too hard to keep the plants from dryingnout. You can lower the light again when you flood. DSM on substrate is a lot easier than on rock/wood.

Sigh, I wish I had this advice from the start! Def makes a lot of sense now. I have a clip light so not sure how I can raise it higher than the edge of the tank. I'll try to think of something. Thanks!

===

Photos of some of the issues I've run into. Sorry they're not that detailed. I guess medium size is no good. I'll stick to large from now on.

First, here's a full tank shot:

You'll notice that the tops are all brownish while the bottom is still green (and the lonely Buce alive in the shade). But wait! There's still a glimmer of hope. There's still VERY little green left on the tops. And when I say very little, it's like VERY VERY little.

Is it salvageable? Not sure at this point. But the good news is that the bottom is getting some new growth and is still very much alive.

See the bright green spots in the mini fissidens and rose moss? That's all new growth! Hopefully it'll keep coming.
bk. and bk. like this.

||
||
post #66 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

We all learn the hard way. How often are you misting the wood and with what?
post #67 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post
We all learn the hard way. How often are you misting the wood and with what?
I mist once in the morning, when I get home from work, and sometimes before going to bed. So 3 times. I have a spray bottle with water that's been treated with prime. I make sure nearly every plant is wet with every spray. There are some weekend days where I spray just once though.
post #68 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A lot greener today than my last post! It's the 6th week of the dry start. The rose moss and mini fissidens has really taken off. I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue this. Maybe I'll flood on the 60th day? Or I could just keep going with this and NEVER fill.

The mini fissidens:

Rose moss:

I also added some Java moss:

Mini pellia (and the sad remains of a Buce in the background):

I never knew that watching moss grow could be so exciting.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

||
||
post #69 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
This tank looks mind-bogglingly large!

It can hold its own even against much larger tanks it seems! I can't wait to see it flooded. I think you should include some buces, or at least anubias, once it is flooded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bereninga and bereninga like this.

~Alex
post #70 of 138 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some more detail shots. I seriously am thinking of never flooding this thing.

||
||
post #71 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some updated photos of this dry start! This is week 12 now.

Tyrone, Tyrone, Opare and 13 others like this.

||
||
post #72 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just wanted to add some real macro (instead of cropped) shots. This is my first time using a macro lens, so excuse any newbie mistakes.

I really like looking at all of the little details of these plants, though. I've never been able to look this close before. I've come to discover that macro photos are really hard to compose. I can't imagine trying to take photos of organisms that actually move. I now have more appreciation for the work of film makers who can get so close to those living things out there.

Anyway, onto the photos!

Mini fissidens:

Mini fissidens growing from the driftwood:

Rose moss:

More rose moss (with a few sprigs of java moss):

Rose moss (and java moss photobombing again):

Mini pellia:

Thanks for looking! Will this tank get flooded some day? Hm, maybe!
2RDHEDZ, 2RDHEDZ, Tyrone and 11 others like this.

||
||
post #73 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:05 AM
Algae Grower

Looks awesome!!!! Love this tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #74 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Love it! What are your plans for a filter?
post #75 of 138 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfish12 View Post
Looks awesome!!!! Love this tank

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
Love it! What are your plans for a filter?

Thanks! Not sure yet. Maybe an Azoo Palm or DeepBlue Biomaxx. I haven't decided yet. Something that won't be too strong though. Maybe just a sponge filter could do, but that takes up so much space and there's not much room in here.

||
||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode