zeldar's 2.5 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
zeldar's 2.5 gallon

Time to set up a journal for my other tank. Its a standard 2.5 gallon. I've actually had the tank for a while but it just recently got planted. Its been my bettas home for a while and now hes got some plants to enjoy.

tank: 2.5 gallon
lighting: 13watt Ott-lite on timer for 8hrs a day
filter: red sea nano filter (in the picture is a nasty tetra filter but i ditched it)
co2: daily dose of excel but I'll soon add DIY co2
ferts: right now just flourish but if plants need it I'll add NPK
substrate: eco complete
hardscape: twigs and leftover crumbs from ryuoh rock
plants: marsilea minuta and mm dwarf, HC, dwarf hairgrass, fissidens, anubias petite
fauna: betta, I'll add in a nerite and eventually RCS once they become adults

FTS, please ignore ugly eyesore filter

my betta in his old stomping grounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
I love the twig tree! The scape should look great once the foreground fills in.

Warning on mixing bettas and RCS (or shrimp of any kind): if your betta is at all inclined to be nippy or aggressive, you may lose all your RCS and end up with a very fat, very happy betta. I tried a few RCS in two different betta tanks, and both times the bettas ate them.

A nerite or ramshorn snail should be fine, though; I've kept both successfully with bettas. Hard shells help deter ever-curious, ever-nippy fish.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

actually my betta seems to be pretty tame. In the last setup there were some ghost shrimp in with him, and some were super tiny, and he never bothered them. My RCS in the other tank just lost her eggs so its gonna be a while before I have some babies large enough to add to this tank. Hopefully the plants will fill in before then which will give some shelter to the shrimp.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks great! Love the moss tree.

I have to second Tsu Ryuu's opinion that any shrimp will eventually end up as expensive snacks. I've had some very mellow bettas and none of them could resist.

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey I was wondering, how does your betta do with the red sea nano filter? I was wondering because I was thinking about getting one for my betta that I'm going to be putting in a 2 gallon hex tank. Does it give off too much current or no?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its been great so far, its only been on the tank for like 4 days. Its great because there is a knob so you can control how much current comes out. My betta doesn't get thrown around like he did with an old filter i had.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

its been great so far, its only been on the tank for like 4 days. Its great because there is a knob so you can control how much current comes out. My betta doesn't get thrown around like he did with an old filter i had.

Okay thanks. I have the your old filter in my closet and it was so annoying! bc it is on a pump it is so loud!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea the red sea filter is completley silent. I got mine at Petco for $15 if you are wondering where to get one without ordering online.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks, but I already knew that, but if I didn't now I would know xD

But yeah I'm going to this road by my house that has Petco, Petsupermarket, and Petsmart all across the street from each other so I will be able to get the filter a Petco, fish at petsupermarket, and then some other stuff if I need it, at Petsmart xD

I would get one from Big Al's because I live right by the only one is the US and they are only $8.99, but I think that is only an online thing and it is father then the Petsmart etc. xD
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
If he left the ghosts alone, he might actually ignore the cherries. And yeah, the plants could protect them. I'd give it a trial run with one or two shrimp and see how they fare. Good luck!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I added a patch of mini pellia in the back left corner. This is the first time I was able to get my hands on this plant, as I've been wanting some for awhile now. I'll get a picture of the tank posted this weekend.

Also added an assassin snail since the pest ramshorn snails are starting to bother me. I have been picking the ones off the glass every day, put of course the number rises daily.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

got some new pics up.

I got some
Hydrocotyle verticillata and Ranunculus inundatus from Crispino Ramos for my 10gallon and had some left overs so I put like 4 nodes of the hydro in this tank. I also added the mini pellia mentioned in the last post.

fts

closeup of hydro

mini pellia kinda blurry

betta man

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

Looks awesome! That's really filling in nicely.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Its been awhile and I haven't looked at the last time I posted pictures. A lot has grown in it looks like. First of all, I took the hydrocotyle out. I added some windelov java fern by the mini pellia.

The HC is spreading nicely and the MM is slowly but surely getting there. The fissidens is growing much more than I ever expected. Its about ready for a trim. I actually am about to take the twigs out because I got some small manzanita branches to replace them with. I just need to figure out a good setup for it and then attach the fissidens.

My only complaint with this tank is the amount of snails. They are absolutely everywhere, especially in the fissidens. There has to be thousands in there. My lone assassin snail isn't making a dent.haha I may order 5 or 6 more to see if they can slow the population. Anybody out there have a good method for removing these pests?

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks awsome.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode