Fluval Spec V tank reset...would it work for a dwarf puffer? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ugh, I hate to be Negative Nancy in this thread, but well... so be it...

I would not recommend bumble bee gobies in any nano unless it's a brackish water tank. There are a few species that are freshwater, but you rarely find them in stores. They die prematurely in freshwater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post

I would not recommend bumble bee gobies in any nano unless it's a brackish water tank. There are a few species that are freshwater, but you rarely find them in stores. They die prematurely in freshwater.
mine seem to be doing fine in non-brackish water and its been about 6 months. so I guess i'm still waiting for them to prematurely die.

thanks nancy.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post

When someone starts a thread asking for people's stocking suggestions and opinions you're supposed to point out problems of you think you see them. So hopefully some potential stocking mistakes that "the guy at the pet store said was ok" can be avoided.

I was at a party once and looked at the bookshelf to see one of those one gallon hex tanks with the Christmas bulb light fixture that had 10 small guppies and a baby tiger barb. I believe the name of that aquascape was "Trouble a'Brewing".
Soxfandowd and Soxfandowd like this.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

I have 3 DP in my community 40B. I don't have problems because everyone else is so much bigger and faster than they are, fortunately. I went from feeding 1 cube of frozen blood worms daily out of a turkey baster to 2 cubes daily because the other inhabitants have developed an addiction for them. Even the dwarf panda cories love the blood worms. DP are messy eaters and I would not want to have to deal with the amount of water changes in a small tank. I'd actually love more of them but feel I got the only 3 in the world that don't pick on anyone else or each other.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Algae Grower

I have DP in my spec V heavily planted...they're awesome
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It is true what Tihsho is saying (by the way is your name supposed to say "tissue"? haha).

Dying prematurely is simply them dying sooner than their normal life expectancy. Keeping brackish water fish in freshwater can shorten their lifespan (there has been talk that a bit of salt in the freshwater improves the health and longevity of freshwater fish, but that is not 100% confirmed and most likely dependent on species), and vice versa. Same can be said with keeping fish in undesirable water parameters (temp, TDS, pH, etc.). How much the lifespan is shortened depends on many factors.

As mentioned there are many species of bumble bee gobies, some which really do need brackish water. It is possible you got a freshwater species, research how to ID your species. Fish can be tolerant (some more than others, some even completely adaptable) of salinity, so it is tough to say how much the lifespan is shortened, but if there are many reports of brackish gobies dying quick in freshwater that is something to take note of (many factors, such as severity of water param differences, overall fish health, etc play a role).

And I also do agree with what Tihsho has said about the puffers as he is mentioning what he finds is best for the well being of the fish. That is his advice and experience with dwarf puffers and I agree. Not entirely sure about the group thing, the are social fish, but in groups they can quarrel, but I suppose that is natural behavior and the fish themselves are used to and fine with it and actually prefer those interactions (even if they may not look pleasant) rather than kept singly. Now if one is being overstressed/harassed, then actions should be taken before the stressed fish dies (either more hiding/retreat spots or more females, or maybe another male so the males can spread out the aggression. But my experience on dwarf puffers is limited, but what knowledge I have gained, most if not all of what Tihsho has said seems true.

But alas, all we can do is offer advice and suggestions on more ideal/preferred set ups.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Why do people cling to the myth that dwarf puffers are brackish fish? They're fresh water species. I trust this site for all info on fish, great resource:
Carinotetraodon travancoricus (Dwarf Puffer) ? Seriously Fish

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
@WaterLife, thanks for the support
@AquaAurora, I believe what Waterlife was mentioning in regards to brackish were the Bumblebee Gobies. He in no way mentioned that the DP's were brackish...

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode