Bare bottom, Low Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bare bottom, Low Tech

So I'm slowly narrowing down what I'm looking to do for a planted tank (I won't be able to set up a tank until January, when the travelling slows down).

I'm looking at either a Fluval Spec III, or a Fluval Spec V for a tank.

If I do the 3, then I want to make a bonsai tree, but am unsure what moss would look best, that is low tech. Maribo doesn't seem that easy to spread...

If I go with the V, then it's a toss up of a bonsai tree, or simply driftwood that is covered with Anubias nana petite.

As far as why I'm doing bare bottom, I am pretty much looking for a tank I can set and forget, in that I don't want to have to re-scape every 6-12 months because the soil has become depleted. Being this low tech means I don't even really have to worry about fertilizers.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Neat concept. No matter what you setup, there is no real thing as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoysgal
a tank I can set and forget
Why do I say that? Well you'll have to add ferts of some sort to promote thick growth on moss. It's not as much as stem plants, but it's still some. Also, you'll want to keep the water somewhat fresh clean from breakdown of any food and organic matter. If you go with Anubias, same things apply, but more so for the Anubias.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||

Last edited by Tihsho; 10-09-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm not sure what you are going to gain by a bare bottom. If you like the look, then go for it. As far as the "set and forget", forget it. Regular water changes in small tanks are more critical than they are in large ones. You can put in sand or gravel as a substrate, and not rescape it. If you want a clean look, then I would go with sand. Just be sure to have some snails to turn it for you.

This isn't rocket surgery

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know if I agree with you @loach guy. Sand needs maintenance because it collects junk on it real quick. Without often water changes and a quick siphon off the surface it starts to look real dirty.

|||
|||
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
I don't know if I agree with you @loach guy. Sand needs maintenance because it collects junk on it real quick. Without often water changes and a quick siphon off the surface it starts to look real dirty.
So it would be just like having a bare bottom then. I have black sand Japanese trapdoor snails in one of my tanks. I rarely do any maintenance on the sand and it looks like the day I put it in the tank.

This isn't rocket surgery
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

@loach guy, then you're lucky. Most sand setups build up sediment and need just the right amount of flow to make sure that doesn't happen, yet not too much to blow the sand around. Bare bottoms you can take a hose to and siphon it spotless, sand you have to make sure not to get the sand with the sediment.

|||
|||

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode