Jared's 5g Nano - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Jared's 5g Nano

Hey all, looking for some help with my 5g bowfront tank. its total garbage atm, and the betta doesnt allow anything in the tank besides the single neon she's spared. (trust me, i started with 5 neons and an otto, and she killed all of them)

it would mean loads if you guys could help. I want to make this tank good, but not spend $300 on it buying co2, ferts, or high tech stuff. just want a basic nice looking tank is all

Specs are as follows
16w CFL bulb,
Built in filter
Black diamond sand
Tiny clay pellets in the substrate
No ferts of any kind
Weekly? Water changes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12047798_1165201630174708_895036438_n.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	521529  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you sure that your beta killed those fish? 5 gallons is awfully small for neons. I would wonder if the otto died from an ammonia spike from dead neons. Or maybe the beta "thinned the herd" because of the tight space. I read that betas require 5 gallons of personal space.

What is it that you think the tank is lacking? I don't think that you layout looks bad at all. The biggest eye sore to me is the scratched acrylic. You are kind of limited by the size of the tank, no ferts, and no CO2 for your plant selection. If you wanted to change it up, then maybe swap out the hard scape for some seiryu stone. I think the tank looks pretty good as it is though.

Plants will do better without ferts if you step up your water changes. Maybe think of ways that you can make those easier so that you can easily do 2 a week.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Return the remaining neon tetra to the store. Neons need much longer tanks and a school (6 or more) to be at their best. In a 5g a betta is better off by itself.

More details on the lights please: Is it built into the hood or directly on top of the tank? Height from light to substrate? Reflector? Is the bulb oriented vertically or horizontally? If horizontally that greatly reduces the par it gives. Kelvin of the bulb?
If you don't have a light timer consider getting one. I get simple cheap light timers at home depot
2 prong:
GE 24-Hour Plug-In Basic Timer-15119 - The Home Depot

3prong:
Defiant 15-Amp 24-Hour Plug-In Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer with 2-Outlet-49807 - The Home Depot

Consider buying some osmocote+ root tabs to stuff in the substrate as a cheap alternative to ferts, check e-bay, very cheap there. 1 root tab per 3" square area, stuff it in deep in the substrate. Put a new tab(s) in ever 6-9 months.
mootay and mootay like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Return the remaining neon tetra to the store. Neons need much longer tanks and a school (6 or more) to be at their best. In a 5g a betta is better off by itself.

More details on the lights please: Is it built into the hood or directly on top of the tank? Height from light to substrate? Reflector? Is the bulb oriented vertically or horizontally? If horizontally that greatly reduces the par it gives. Kelvin of the bulb?
If you don't have a light timer consider getting one. I get simple cheap light timers at home depot
2 prong:
GE 24-Hour Plug-In Basic Timer-15119 - The Home Depot

3prong:
Defiant 15-Amp 24-Hour Plug-In Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer with 2-Outlet-49807 - The Home Depot

Consider buying some osmocote+ root tabs to stuff in the substrate as a cheap alternative to ferts, check e-bay, very cheap there. 1 root tab per 3" square area, stuff it in deep in the substrate. Put a new tab(s) in ever 6-9 months.
+1 on the root tabs. I meant to mention this, but forgot as I was typing (getting old is no fun). There are plenty of people on the buy/sell section of this forum. My son (kuhlies are coolie) also makes these. PM him if you want to buy some. You can also make them yourself, with gel tabs and a bottle of Osmocote +, but you would probably end up with about 400 years worth of fert tabs for a tank that size.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The bulb is 6500k. this tank is one of those plastic bowfront tanks from Aqueon. here are some more pictures of the light/filter/heater of the tank. water testing was done last night as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12048583_1165554960139375_1541282074_n.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	521825  

Name:	12032389_1165554943472710_432423475_n.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	521833  

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I used to have that same exact 5g set up at my desk at work. Got a new job and now it is out of commission.

I kept only a single betta in it. You should never put neons in a tank that small as others have mentioned. Bettas are best by themselves as well

I ripped off the rim and threw the cover in the trash, replaced the light with a suspended planted + (WAY too much light unless I raised it a lot), put on a decent filter (AZOO mignon filter from Amazon, got a little adjustable heater, etc... I ALSO scratched the CRAP out of the tank because it is plastic (looks like you did too lol) Too small to work in - makes things really hard

For plants I had only the broad-leaf water sprite in it. Dosed small amounts of ferts after I changed the water (which I did twice a week). Very trace amounts of dry ferts (like 1/16th tsp KNO3, KH2PO4, etc)

Tank looked good when it was going but IMO nano tanks are extremely difficult. I'm sure I would have had better luck now that I am more experienced but when I had the tank I struggled a lot lol.

Just letting you know what worked for me... Good luck

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your light is going to be very weak being horizontal AND having that mostly opaque (not completely clear) cover/splash shield. I'd personally rip off the tip and put the bulb in a clamp reflector lamp so its vertical. If you're DIY handy you can build a simple box frame around the lamp so it looks nicer.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Your light is going to be very weak being horizontal AND having that mostly opaque (not completely clear) cover/splash shield. I'd personally rip off the tip and put the bulb in a clamp reflector lamp so its vertical. If you're DIY handy you can build a simple box frame around the lamp so it looks nicer.

Idk about that, I don't plan on making this anything more than a low tech betta tank so I don't think I'll have an issue. All that plants have been growing in just fine

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The last neons been removed, trimmed the tank some scrubbed the glass a little bit

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Full tank shot 10/14/15

Having some issues with tank cleanliness, what's a small fish that will help with this? Considering moving the betts to her own tank, and making this a more active tank

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Switched the star grass and bronze wendtii crypt places

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, the betta isnt working out too much, she's just... too betta like? she's super aggressive towards almost any fish i put in the tank, so she will be going back to the pet store hopefully tomorrow, and i will be picking up some new fish, more than likely some pygmy corys and an otto

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your betta is most likely "too aggressive" because the tank is too small for other fish. You should keep the betta solo, its not recommended to try a betta community tank in anything smaller than a 10g (but the larger the better). Also the tank is far to small for "an oto" who btw should be in shoals of 6 or more and a for that size group a bare minimum 20g long. Keeping just one will mean its always afraid- it will amuse *something* ate all the other otos and thus stressed which can lead to illness and early death. Please research fish before buying them, it will save you a lot of headache and deaths.
I recommend serisoulyfish.com for a basis to get info.
Otocinclus macrospilus ? Oto ? Seriously Fish

Corydoras pygmaeus (Pygmy Cory) ? Seriously Fish

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode