Lighting for 2.5g tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighting for 2.5g tank

Hi! I'd like to know what lighting would be best for a 2.5g betta tank with anubias nana, Java fern, and a few moss balls. It barely gets any light where the tank is, so I think the plants will need more light than that. I'll attach a pic of the tank. I'd kind of prefer a clip light. But I don't know what kind of light or anything to get, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Also, is it okay that I just wedged the plants between the rocks rather than tied them down? I couldn't get them properly tied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1443030791415.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	521073  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Maybe a finnex stingray clip light?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello and welcome to TPT.

Anchoring the plants - yes, you are ok to sandwich the plants between rocks. As long as the rhizome (horizontal stem) is not buried, i.e. the water can flow though to it, you will be fine. One way of anchoring the plants is to use those thin slippy hair elastics. Goody brand has them in clear.

Your light might actually be ok for the plants, those plants are low light plants so will just grow slowly. If you don't already have one, get a timer and set it for 6-8 hours. Less to start with and bump up half hour or so per week if needed. If you're getting algae, then bump down. If you wish, you can even split this total time into 2 periods of at least 3 hours each. It takes plants about 3 hours to complete photosynthesis, and some of us like to split the viewing time.

Your Marimo ball would like to get turned occasionally if the betta isn't already doing it.

Beautiful fish, and nice rocks!

So bottom line, suggest observing your plants for about a month before buying a new light. It take about that long for slow growing plants to show good growth in low light set ups. I would expect the anubias to have one or two new leaves during that time.

In case you still need to change the light-
Here's a thread on the mini bow, specifically bulbs.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22...-mini-bow.html
A 9W CFL would be enough I suspect for this tank, anything higher might just be an algae factory.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 09-23-2015 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Thread link

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
depends on your budget. you can go with nice looking fancy LED clips (finnex stingray clip light is one possibility).
But you can do it for $10-15 too by using a CFL bulb, 6500K Feit Electric 150W Equivalent Daylight (6500K) Spiral CFL Light Bulb-ESL40TN/D - The Home Depot They call them daylight, but just look for 6500K. 9W or 13W will be enough. Then also from a local home improvement store, and buy Clamp Light Aluminium Reflector Woods 60-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light with Aluminum Reflector with 6 ft. Cord-0160 - The Home Depot
that's what i use for my 5gl, two of those, raised about 5" above the tank. Do not have a picture at hand.

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've seen clip on LED lights for aquariums for $13 on Amazon. I'm sure they would be plenty for those plants.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

can you give a link? i have seen too, but they are just lights, not enough for planted tanks. For that matter, you can build an LED light for even less, using some strip LEDs, but those are decorative lights, with not enough output.

46 Bowfront:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
can you give a link? i have seen too, but they are just lights, not enough for planted tanks. For that matter, you can build an LED light for even less, using some strip LEDs, but those are decorative lights, with not enough output.
http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-Super-Bright-Clamp-Aquarium/dp/B00KT5FP8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443055155&sr=8-2&keywords=Clip+on+aquarium+led
These should be strong enough for those plants with no ferts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Algae Grower

looks like you have pleanty of light for that tank.. just watch your plants for about a month for new growth..like daisy said anubius should have 1 or 2 new leaves by then and java fer should have new shoots in about 3 weeks, that been usually the time table on mine. Im really not sure about different setups but i have a highh flow tank and my java fern grows really fast in the tank.

Rick
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@loach guy - i see. there is not enough tech specs for that light to judge how suitable it is for a planted tank. maybe yes, maybe no. in particular, the color/spectrum of the light is not mentioned. Watts, and number of LEDs mean close to nothing

46 Bowfront:

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice, everybody!

I just wasn't sure about the light that's already in the lid because it's just a regular lightbulb. I thought it had to be a certain kind for plants to grow under it.. Plus, if I leave it on for very long, it gets really hot, and that kinda worries me. I don't want it to melt anything. :P So I may get one of the other lights that y'all mentioned, and I'll certainly read the thread Daisy linked to
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
@loach guy - i see. there is not enough tech specs for that light to judge how suitable it is for a planted tank. maybe yes, maybe no. in particular, the color/spectrum of the light is not mentioned. Watts, and number of LEDs mean close to nothing
You're right. However, it's an educated guess. The reviews on the light show people growing higher light plants than what the OP is growing in larger tanks than what the OP has though. Since I can probably get those plants to grow with the ambient light from my phone, I would venture to guess that these plants will do as well as they can in this setup with that light. Sometimes it's OK to go with your gut without getting scientific. This isn't rocket surgery.

The OP is looking for opinions, this happens to be mine, as I would buy this light and use it in this scenario. As a matter of fact, I plan to use this light (2 if need be) on a 5 gallon tank that I plan on doing this fall.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@CalicoKitties did not realize that your current light is a regular bulb. then yes, go with CFL 6500K and you will be ok. That's the light plants need, without guessing or making educated guesses btw, most of teh CFL are 2700K, so you do not need them.

@loach guy good luck in growing any plants with just the light from you phone

46 Bowfront:

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
@CalicoKitties did not realize that your current light is a regular bulb. then yes, go with CFL 6500K and you will be ok. That's the light plants need, without guessing or making educated guesses btw, most of teh CFL are 2700K, so you do not need them.

@loach guy good luck in growing any plants with just the light from you phone
I think a CFL is going to turn this tank into an algae magnet unless you hung it from the ceiling. No ferts, no CO2, and 2 out of 3 extremely slow growers does not take up much nutrients. You need low light to keep all of that in balance.

alphabeta, I guess I never took the time to look up how much par a marimo moss ball requires. Please let me know since you know all of the science and calculations on this tank. Thanks in advance!

What? doesn't everyone have the 6700K flashlight app for their phone?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@loach guy i think a picture is worth a thousand words.
5lb, no ferts, no CO2, just 1ml a day of glut. Two CFL 13Wt each. About 8 hours of light, 4 on in the morning, off for 4 hours, and and 4 on in the evening. WC once a week, about 50%.
Do you see any algae, because i do not. Do the plants flourish and grow like crazy? No, they do ok as supposed to do in a low light tank.

1 bulb 9Wt for that tank sounds to me like low light, if raised 5" above the water. Anyway, eventually, @CalicoKitties will have to try. there is no perfect and exact solution.

46 Bowfront:

Last edited by alphabeta; 08-07-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm a little confused right now: Would this light be adequate for my plants or not? http://www.amazon.com/LEMONBEST-Super-Bright-Clamp-Aquarium/dp/B00KT5FP8S/
Would I need the 48 or the 24 LED one? As far as appearance goes, this light fixture is what I was looking for. But I know little to nothing about what kind of light to get.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode