Planning out Mr. Aqua 6.5 (Overkill) - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planning out Mr. Aqua 6.5 (Overkill)

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of considering getting back into aquariums and looking to jump back into the nano world with a Mr. Aqua 6.5. I still have my Current Satellite Freshwater + which I plan to use on it until I order the Plus PRO, but I've run into some stand stills in ideas that I wanted to run by some people to see if I could get some input.

One of my main concerns when it comes to nano's is thermal consistency. Before with Power Compact lighting, which I was using years ago, I had to worry about the little setups overheating, but now with LED's I find it's harder to keep the tanks warm due to ambient temps from lighting. That said I'd like to find a heating solution that not only fits but doesn't take up space. My only real option is inline heating to get a clean look. I plan on running a Finnex 360 canister, so running a Hydor inline made sense, but I was unsure if it would be overkill for a 6.5 gal since they are rated for 28 gallons. I'm also unsure if this should be connected to the input of the filter or the output. I'm thinking the output to keep particles of stuff from building up, even though I'm probably going to run a prefilter.

I'm considering trying to hide a much of the hardware as possible so lily pipes on the canister filter are a long term goal as well as an inline CO2 diffuser. I'm use to the U.P. Aqua or Do! Aqua diffusers which just connect via airline from the regulator so inline diffusers are new for me to setup. Again, like the inline heater, I'm un sure if I should put this on the input our output of the filter. I've run CO2 through the intake of a canister filter before so the impeller assisted in diffusing as well as the gas passing through the media, but I'm not sure if that's healthy for the pump let alone the buildup of gas being healthy for the anaerobic bacteria that lives in the filter. Since I moved I've somehow miss placed my 20lb tank so I'm considering either moving to a smaller option of the disposable cartridges since it would be a more compact setup. I do understand that the 12g/20g cartridges do expel gas fairly quick, as well have a higher overall cost, but I'm interested in seeing if this is a more manageable setup.

Anyone have any takes on those hardware questions?

The longterm goal with the setup is to have medium to high light requirement plants. To give you a mental picture I'm going for a lush foreground carpet of UG, S. Repens patch (not really light dependent from my experience) and a patch of L. Mauritania. I have a nice small piece of drift wood that I'd like to attach some Anubias Nana "petite" to as well as a fill in the rear of it with Windelov Java Fern. Right now it sounds very green and I plan to add some stem plants in the rear to add some reds as well as an accent with a tiger lotus.

Last edited by Tihsho; 10-26-2015 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Title update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After a little bit of reading it looks like I'll be looking more into an Eheim rather than the Finnex option I was going for. I've used Fluval's for years, but they never seem to be able to hold up in the long run. Would a 2211 or a 2113 plus an inline heater and inline diffuser be slow enough to no be blasting the media around in the tank, let alone the plants and inhabitants?
post #3 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
If this is the mr Aqua 6 gallon long (2 feet wide 9 inches tall 5ish deep) then I have the same tank. I use the Tom Aquarium Rapids mini with the original piped switched out for 10 mm clear tubing and glass inflow and outflow. As for the heater, definitely run it on the outflow so like you said you dont get unnecessary buildup of organics. I have my co2 using a regular diffuser, but my buddy has one of the glass inline ones that he keeps on his outflow as well. I think the closer to the filter on the outflow side the better as it gives more time for the co2 bubbles to diffuse into the water. Just throwing out some of my own experiences to try to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have an Eheim Classic 2213. I've had it for 9 years and still works perfectly. I also am in the same boat about wanting to use an inline heater for a nano (Fluval 6g Edge). I also have concerns about a 200-watt heater running on it. People have said that a good failsafe is to have a heater controller, but that's adds to the investment. Man, I wish there was a nano inline heater!

As for CO2, I plan on using a diffuser vs inline. Inline heater plus inline diffuser would require a pretty complicated set-up for a nano.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||
post #5 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The freshwater+ is probably going to be strong enough for what you need. Always use a temperature controller. The $25 is the best insurance you can buy.
post #6 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlevine09 View Post
If this is the mr Aqua 6 gallon long (2 feet wide 9 inches tall 5ish deep) then I have the same tank. I use the Tom Aquarium Rapids mini with the original piped switched out for 10 mm clear tubing and glass inflow and outflow. As for the heater, definitely run it on the outflow so like you said you dont get unnecessary buildup of organics. I have my co2 using a regular diffuser, but my buddy has one of the glass inline ones that he keeps on his outflow as well. I think the closer to the filter on the outflow side the better as it gives more time for the co2 bubbles to diffuse into the water. Just throwing out some of my own experiences to try to help.
That's the dimensions for the 6.5 gal. How is the Rapid's filter? I use to run 501's on my 2 gallon cubes, but realize they are very inefficient and will not really support a larger setup. Plus they clog quickly it seems and I'm not a fan of their hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
I have an Eheim Classic 2213. I've had it for 9 years and still works perfectly. I also am in the same boat about wanting to use an inline heater for a nano (Fluval 6g Edge). I also have concerns about a 200-watt heater running on it. People have said that a good failsafe is to have a heater controller, but that's adds to the investment. Man, I wish there was a nano inline heater!

As for CO2, I plan on using a diffuser vs inline. Inline heater plus inline diffuser would require a pretty complicated set-up for a nano.
Would there be any reason for me to go with a 2213 over a 2211 for a 6.5 gallon? I do get that inline devices will slow the flow, but will the inline heater and diffuser kill the flow too much on a 2211? I'm planning on going with the Hydor and a thermostat in the tank to be a failsafe. After raising reptiles I've come to be familiar with thermostats and how much they can save the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
The freshwater+ is probably going to be strong enough for what you need. Always use a temperature controller. The $25 is the best insurance you can buy.
The freshwater + is a nice piece of hardware, but I like the configurations that I'm able to do with what I've seen with the plus PRO. I actually got out of planted aquariums right before the PRO was released and this is one of the reasons I want to get back in with nano's! Agreed with the controller 100%

=====================================

Fauna wise I'd like to keep this setup packed when it comes to fauna. Yea, I know I need to be careful with the bio load and give the animals there space, but here is what I'm looking into:

- Cherry shrimp
- Thai Micro Crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri)
- Danio margaritatus
- Boraras brigittae
- Pygmy Cory's (Corydoras pygmaeus)

That's about it. Might consider some nerites or ottos?

Edit:

Anyone know the diameter of the 2211 and/or 2213 hosing? I'm trying to figure out what diameter inline heater and diffuser to get.

Last edited by Tihsho; 09-23-2015 at 08:13 PM. Reason: rather than post a new post
post #7 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
Would there be any reason for me to go with a 2213 over a 2211 for a 6.5 gallon? I do get that inline devices will slow the flow, but will the inline heater and diffuser kill the flow too much on a 2211? I'm planning on going with the Hydor and a thermostat in the tank to be a failsafe. After raising reptiles I've come to be familiar with thermostats and how much they can save the day
The benefit of the 2213 is that if you ever upgrade to a larger tank you can use the 2213 on there. Otherwise, the 2211 might be enough. The 2213 flow can be reduced by the valves by the way. I use the 2213 on a 6-gallon and the flow is pretty good, and I still use a powerhead. Also I have a lot of plants. I'd rather have too much flow that can be reduced than not enough to begin with.

Quote:
Edit:

Anyone know the diameter of the 2211 and/or 2213 hosing? I'm trying to figure out what diameter inline heater and diffuser to get.
Both 2211 and 2213 have outflow diameters of 12/16mm (1/2").
(Source:
2211:
http://www.bigalspets.com/classic-ca...edia-2211.html
2213:
http://www.bigalspets.com/classic-ca...edia-2213.html)

Which thermostat do you plan on getting?

||
||
post #8 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The benefit of the 2213 is that if you ever upgrade to a larger tank you can use the 2213 on there. Otherwise, the 2211 might be enough. The 2213 flow can be reduced by the valves by the way. I use the 2213 on a 6-gallon and the flow is pretty good, and I still use a powerhead. Also I have a lot of plants. I'd rather have too much flow that can be reduced than not enough to begin with.
Good point. I'm use to these 'larger' canisters on larger tanks so I'm concerned with blowing everything around with the output and either ruining the substrate layout or stressing inhabitants out. Do you happen to have a link to your 6 gallon? I'd like to read up on what you have done for inspiration.

Quote:
Both 2211 and 2213 have outflow diameters of 12/16mm (1/2").
(Source:
2211:
Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2211
2213:
http://www.bigalspets.com/classic-ca...edia-2213.html)

Which thermostat do you plan on getting?
Thanks for that info! That helps a lot now I know what products to filter out.

As for thermostat, I'm going to look into that tonight. I posted a question up about that and all the other hardware in the equipment section and I'll merge findings here. I'm thinking I might lurk on my old reef forums to see if I can find some accurate products that they use.
post #9 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Good point. I'm use to these 'larger' canisters on larger tanks so I'm concerned with blowing everything around with the output and either ruining the substrate layout or stressing inhabitants out. Do you happen to have a link to your 6 gallon? I'd like to read up on what you have done for inspiration.
I had a 10 gallon that was the original tank for the 2213. I got rid of that and then got the 6 gallon. I was hesitant at first about using a 2213 on the 6 gallon, but it turned out fine. I have a link in my profile, but that info is old. Here's a somewhat more recent journal (that I need to update!):
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...l-edge-6g.html

It's a Fluval Edge, a "special" (aka pain in the butt) tank.

I'm interested in what you get for the thermostat. The Finnex Max-300 (http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Max-300-Digital-Aquarium-Controller/dp/B007480AP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1443041235&sr=1-1&keywords=finnex+300) might be a decent choice.

||
||
post #10 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Oh you have an edge... I give you credit on going with it and love what you've done! I was working in the Aquarium industry when those originally came out and I liked the modern design but hated the lack of functionality and PITA management that seemed like would come with it.
post #11 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
That's the dimensions for the 6.5 gal. How is the Rapid's filter? I use to run 501's on my 2 gallon cubes, but realize they are very inefficient and will not really support a larger setup. Plus they clog quickly it seems and I'm not a fan of their hoses.
I have only shrimp in mine, and it is great. I went with the lily outflow and inflow with inflow on opposite end of the tank from the out and things seem to be good. I had the round glass pipe like this one but it cut the flow too much in my opinion and I didnt have enough surface movement so buildup accumulated quickly

post #12 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlevine09 View Post
I have only shrimp in mine, and it is great. I went with the lily outflow and inflow with inflow on opposite end of the tank from the out and things seem to be good. I had the round glass pipe like this one ***IMAGE REMOVED FOR QUOTE*** but it cut the flow too much in my opinion and I didnt have enough surface movement so buildup accumulated quickly
I'm planning to go lily in and outflow as well. I considered going on opposite ends, but I'm unsure. I've always done that in the past with canisters and loved it, so I might just put the inflow in one rear corner and the out flow in the other rear corner. Again, those are not set in stone.

I was considering that exact style of outflow! But you bring up a great point about surface agitation, without that I will have scum build up and that's not good. I can't even run my Eheim surface extracting pump because I'm aiming to have zero visible hardware in the tank besides lily pipes and CO2 checkers.
post #13 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Oh you have an edge... I give you credit on going with it and love what you've done! I was working in the Aquarium industry when those originally came out and I liked the modern design but hated the lack of functionality and PITA management that seemed like would come with it.
Thank you! Yes, the tiny hole at the top drives me nuts since it makes the tank very hard to manage. I've wanted to take the top off, but the glass top makes it nice and enclosed.

||
||
post #14 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone make feet risers for rimless tanks for lighting? I'd like to raise up the Satellite FW + by 3" to 4" in this setup.
post #15 of 162 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I'm planning to go lily in and outflow as well. I considered going on opposite ends, but I'm unsure. I've always done that in the past with canisters and loved it, so I might just put the inflow in one rear corner and the out flow in the other rear corner. Again, those are not set in stone.

I was considering that exact style of outflow! But you bring up a great point about surface agitation, without that I will have scum build up and that's not good. I can't even run my Eheim surface extracting pump because I'm aiming to have zero visible hardware in the tank besides lily pipes and CO2 checkers.
With a tank as long as mine I opted for the regular style lily pipe for the outflow on the left and the inflow in the opposite corner on the right as you said. I think in a cube tank the round outflow is great (my roommate has it) but for the length that we have it just cuts flow too much (as it's designed for)

Bump:
Quote:
Does anyone make feet risers for rimless tanks for lighting? I'd like to raise up the Satellite FW + by 3" to 4" in this setup.
I cant comment for the Satellite, but there is a guy Fuse who is selling them for the finnex lights currently on the for sale section.

Tags
ecoexotic e-series, eheim 2113, mr. aqua 6.5, tna glass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode