ADA Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Questions

I've had aquariums for the past 15 years and have been heavily invested in saltwater reefs for the last 5 years. I've never had a serious planted tank and am considering an office nano. One thing I've learned is buy the right thing FIRST (or what you really want) even if you have to wait and save a little longer.

I'm looking at the ADA nanos and damn they look great but are pricey. What am I really paying for? Quality? Style? Brand Name? All of the above? I'm sold on the tanks but lights and lily pipes are amazingly expensive. Are there any alternative brands that look as good?

Bottom line: Is ADA worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
How big of a tank do you want? If you want the rimless look you could always de-rim a small 2.5 - 5 gallon, maybe even a 10, without problems.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Under 10 for sure- maybe 5. I've got to get it past my boss first.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
ADA tanks have super clear glass, as well as beveled edges that give it a nice look and feel. So basically you're paying for that...and the ADA sticker You can find other lights and filter pipes for a fraction of ADA prices, just look around

If you're looking for ADA-style tanks, Green Leaf Aquariums will be selling rimless tanks in the near future for considerably less than ADA ones.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
i feel ADA is a great brand to go with! but they are a tad bit expensive. you could order some things from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/ they have similar products just different brand name.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanlights View Post

I'm looking at the ADA nanos and damn they look great but are pricey. What am I really paying for? Quality? Style? Brand Name? All of the above? I'm sold on the tanks but lights and lily pipes are amazingly expensive. Are there any alternative brands that look as good?

Bottom line: Is ADA worth it?
All of the above is what you're paying for. Quality, Style, Name Brand, great silicone work.

I would say if you're setting up a nano that you plan on having a nice aquascape in they're worth it. Personally I haven't bought any new tanks in recent years but when I do buy a nano for college or whatever it will be ADA.

Options for lilly pipes and lighting are numerous though. Lots of groups make similar styles.

-Andrew
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Part of the price is for the brand name, but the quality really is different from your standard AGA tanks. Honestly, I will agree that most everything else IS overpriced, but not by much more than other products that would be close in quality. If you don't want to spend the money for pipes and the lights, you could check out Cal Aqua pipes (available at GreenLeafAquariums.com). Many people use those alongside their ADA tanks, and they work well together. As far as lights for a nano, nothings going to mesh as well with a Mini-S or Mini-M as their respective Solar Mini, but a pair of Ott-Lites (search Google I don't know where these are carried) will do the job well, along with looking pretty nice. Another suggestion is the much used 27W Hampton Bay Desk Lamp, which has also been called the "Nano Light" or my favorite, the "Robocop Light". IMO it doesn't go as well with the tank as the others, but its only $22 and is available at Home Depot (it's not listed on their website)
As far as all the other aspects of the tank I'd say defiantly get Aquasoil as your substrate, IMO its the best out there. The ADA Co2 is a little overkill, you can put together a great system with a larger cylinder for around $150, maybe even less if you find the right deals.

To sum it up, there are alternatives, like Cal Aqua and Ott-Lite for the really pricey stuff, Aquasoil will be the best bang for your buck, and building your own Co2 will probably be the cheapest route with the best results. But nothing beats a full ADA setup as far as looks go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Also, check out this thread for some ADA stuff (pipes, diffusers, scaping tools & the like) from a great member for sale for pretty cheap.

|

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I have a mixture of ADA/Cal-Aqua products. I have the ADA tank and had an ADA diffuser but ended up trading it in for a Cal-Aqua one that met my needs better. I also have Cal-Aqua pipes and they seem pretty high quality, at least to me. I like the mix and match approach myself as some things just aren't worth the extra cost just to have the ADA name of them.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
You're paying for the ADA sticker.

My ADA lily pipes actually broke after 1 cleaning.. I've been buying AquaMagic or whatever off brand lily pipes because it seems they break everytime I clean them..
There's a guy on here that makes plastic ones also.. been trying to get him to make me a spray bar GRR\
I have 2 ADA tanks with ADA equip and 3 other similar style tanks.. they all look good.. It's the style that makes them attractive!! but you're generally paying for the sticker

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode