Down_Shift's >2g Shallow Tray *Back from the dead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Down_Shift's >2g Shallow Tray *Back from the dead

Finally, some new pics from me!!

The tray i brought back from taiwan.. scaped it and it's been running for about a week.. pretty stable already.

Setup:
~1g tray
pool sand + SMS/Flourite
red sea nano
13w clip on cfl
rocks from a waterfall in Ithaca, NY
nets that I use to tie down moss on rocks
a branch from the park

live stuff:
snails
MTS
4 feeder minnow + fry
riparium supply plant package
moss ball
taiwan/xmas/java moss mix
riccia
hygro
marselus minuta [sp.]

My fake water fall lol.. trying to hide the hob.. it's moss and riccia net to a rock supporting the hob filter from underneath

Some Riparium plants and other assorted plants are setup on a small mound of substrate from my 60P.. the rest of the tank is pool sand.

I bought these suckers just for kicks.. cost me a whole 45 cents.. Feeder Minnows.. I made sure they didn't have any ick or whatever since the feeders are never healthy.. these guys have been in the tank since the day I set it up.. they are soo happy to be alive and not in a turtle's stomach lol.. I even had fry already.. there's 1 or 2 fry I see every now and then. I didn't know they were livebearers..?

I'm not 100% set with the scape yet.. I feel something is missing..? I have some HC and dwarf hairgrass I might throw in.. not sure yet..

By final tank addition, I mean I promised the GF I won't be adding any new tanks to our very very small city apartment.. I did a recent renovation of the living room and moved my tanks around. ADA 60P, ADA Mini-S, and shallow tray.
I do have other tanks at my parent's.. 2.5g bow, 5.5g, 10g, and 2 trays I'm using to grow out plants.

Left to Right..
Tray, Mini-S (Center), 60P (behind fridge)
No need to turn on any lights at night =)

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-01-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
very nice thing you done with the small tray. your apartment is very nice i wouldn't consider it small. At least you have your very own nice apapartment and a very nice car. Your girlfriend sounds alot like mine! Mine say, "no more tanks okay!, you have too many".
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Dude, I want your apartment.

As to your tray, it looks a little ... dark. I think it needs some more time to mature, once the riccia grows in it should look much nicer.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very cool! The tray looks great. I wish those were available here. I'm sure the scape will get better and better, but I think what you have already looks great.

I think a small amount of java fern in the back right corner and some anubias nana petite, tucked in to the rock wall on the front left would pop off really well.

Sweet projection system too. That's awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice! Looks great! I have been wanting to do something like that for almost a year, but can't find a tank.

-----
Brad

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
That setup looks pretty BA, and I have to agree that the apartment also looks pretty BA.
I totally feel ya on the lights thing too. Just between my 2 tanks in my room and my computer screen, the whole room is lit up!

|

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Personally, I think Id ditch the fish in favor of something like a dwarf cray, or a newt, or something else that might come above the water line sometimes.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, I can totally see a cray, crab, newt, or anything else easily crawling out of that tank and dying on the floor of your apartment. So forget my idea.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
what type of projector is that and what did it cost you?

I like the tank BTW
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Personally, I think Id ditch the fish in favor of something like a dwarf cray, or a newt, or something else that might come above the water line sometimes.

Edit: Though now that I think about it, I can totally see a cray, crab, newt, or anything else easily crawling out of that tank and dying on the floor of your apartment. So forget my idea.

I was thinking bout a pair of cray also but I was afraid it would get out and my dog would get to it
What bout one of those highly illegal mini turtles? I just don't know where to get them. I use to see them in Chinatown all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_xqcs View Post
what type of projector is that and what did it cost you?

I like the tank BTW
It's a epson 6100. I got it on sale a few weeks ago for 1600. It's going for around 1900-2100 right now shipped though.
It's 1080P, my place is small so I only have a ~76" diagonal screen. My friend has the same projector and does a ~110" screen with it. I use to have a 50" 1080P dlp but I had to ditch it to save alot of space. Projector was one of my major renovations, I also had to rewire my whole apartment (I have a mediaserver/nas with ~7TB of blueray rips) and my htpc/xbox/reciever are all on the opposite wall of the screen now. Repainted the wall with a diy projector screen paint etc.. changed up furniture also. You can PM me if you have any other Q's.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Very cool! The tray looks great. I wish those were available here. I'm sure the scape will get better and better, but I think what you have already looks great.

I think a small amount of java fern in the back right corner and some anubias nana petite, tucked in to the rock wall on the front left would pop off really well.

Sweet projection system too. That's awesome
My first attempt was to put java fern over on that corner, but what I learned was my place is too dry and it died within 2 hours

Might try that anubias petite though.

I asked my GF to pick up another tray for me and 2 nano 10cm cubes before she gets back here. I promised I wouldn't put them in the apartment though
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Petite would probably also dry out like the java fern, it needs crazy high humidity.

Hey uh, you could always set up one of those trays at my place, I mean, I would do all the scaping and maintainence and posting about it and stuff, but thats about it.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Those little turtles are still available in NYC's chinatown, you just have to know where to look. But turtles are too messy and destructive for an aquascaped tank. Maybe a fiddler crab or red claw crab? They're climbers too though. Oy.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Very cool, maybe add some more backround plants.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Man HC is a pita to plant!! Friend gave me a cup of HC that I attempted to plant last night.. I just jumbled them into little messes and stuck them into the substrate.. hopefully it grows!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
No baby turtles... People are so misinformed about their care needs. Turtles under 4" are illegal to own for legit reasons.

Anyway, nice setup!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode