Just set up a new planted picotope:
Substrate - Eco complete
Water - RO/DI from LFS
Filter - Aquaclear 20 with Purigen
Light - Finnex Planted+ LED clip light
Heater - Hydor 25w theo set at 80 deg.
Plants - Red Ludwigia, dwarf crypt, dwarf sag, hornwort and banana plant
Planning on adding shrimp

Ludwigia is starting to turn brown. Bought Flourish Excel and Iron, but not sure how to dose them.
LFS says I need a Coralife Colormax bulb for any red plants.
Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picotope3a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	517129  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice!

Are you remineralizing the RO/DI water? The shrimp will need it. And if you are planning on keeping shrimp, they will prefer slightly cooler. 80 might be too warm, for Neocaridinas they will be fine and breed at 74 give or take a couple.

Your light should be good, I doubt you'd need additional.

Get a medicine dropper, the 1 ml variety. I counted drops per ml and it is about 14-15 drops per ml.

Excel dose - 1 ml for 10 gallons so for 3 gallons is 0.3 ml. Or about five drops.
Seachem Fluorish iron dose for 3 gallons is the same.
Dosing frequency and amount as described in the bottle.

By the way if that is Ophiopogon left-most, be prepared for it to die eventually (weeks to months). It is not fully aquatic. If it's another plant just ignore this comment

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 09-12-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Ophiopogon
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for your comments. No, the plant on the left is a dwarf sagittaria. It's actually putting on new leaves, as has the dwarf crypt and banana plant. And of course, the hornwort is starting to need a trim.

I'm doing a 20% water change weekly. So far, the ammonia has dropped to 0 and nitrites and nitrates are high. PH is 8-8.2. I got acid and alkalinity buffers in the mail today. Going to do another change tomorrow.

Lastly, due to evaporation, I'm having to replace a cup of water every day. Do I/how do I dose this small amount of water every day? Thanks!

Bump: How do you remineralize your RO/DI water? I thought the stuff in eco complete would do that. How do you measure minerals?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdogs View Post
Thanks for your comments. No, the plant on the left is a dwarf sagittaria. It's actually putting on new leaves, as has the dwarf crypt and banana plant. And of course, the hornwort is starting to need a trim.

I'm doing a 20% water change weekly. So far, the ammonia has dropped to 0 and nitrites and nitrates are high. PH is 8-8.2. I got acid and alkalinity buffers in the mail today. Going to do another change tomorrow.

Lastly, due to evaporation, I'm having to replace a cup of water every day. Do I/how do I dose this small amount of water every day? Thanks!

Bump: How do you remineralize your RO/DI water? I thought the stuff in eco complete would do that. How do you measure minerals?
You can get some seachem equilibrium and follow the instructions. If you don't remineralize, it will not be good for plants or fauna. Many people suggest that you should avoid pH swings more than trying to get an ideal pH. Your living things will be able to adjust to a stable pH. If you want to lower it, you can also get some drift wood or peat to do it naturally and stably. When you top off though, you should use RO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode