planted aga 2.5 with stand and canopy (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
planted aga 2.5 with stand and canopy (pics)

Hello,

take a look at my 2.5gal planted tank. I cannot take credit for the idea since I bought the tank, stand, and canopy from CL. When I bought the tank it was a modified 2.5 which had a false wall with a powerhead in the back. It functioned like a tank with built in Sump. The stand and canopy was fashioned out of acrylic..

I decided to swap the tank out so I can have more room for live stock. I am hoping that its current configuration will work for a planted tank... Filtration is simply a terra cota pot filled with a sponge and some foam and connected to an Air stone.

I do have a couple questions...

1. Since I don't have much flow in the tank would keeping low light plants be a problem? right now I have some java moss and some sort of anubius.

2. What plants could you suggest to add to this tank.

3. How does it look? It will be home to my HM betta once I get the tank dialed in.

thx for checking this out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Needs more plants.
Moss and anubias should be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah I just started it up. I have some javafern in my other tank that I'll try putting in there... need suggestions for type's of plants to put in.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie
Well, I'm biased against tanks this small, I have to admit, but if you're determined to keep it, several easy things you can do to make it look much better....

• Replace the makeshift filter with a small HOB or submersible filter
  • Replace the substrate with something more uniform in color
  • Remove both pots and the striped rock, replace with more uniform color rock, or leave bare for more room for plants to grow in.
  • Remove the magnetic cleaner. In a tank this tiny, it draws too much attention and takes up much needed water space.

Low light plants should do fine, depending on what kind of light you have over the tank. Might want to consider using flourish excel, but you'll have to be very careful with dosing in a tank that tiny...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thx for the input Svenboogie... I took in consideration some of your ideas... however I still decided to keep the substrate and the pots... I added some more driftwood pieces and another plant. I also redesigned the diy filter to function more like a sponge filter by adding a return pipe, and cut some holes in the bottom and rear of the pot to allow more flow through the pot... There is a chance that I'll scrap the filter later but I'll wait to see how the water conditions hold up.

It's still a wip but I think I have it mostly dialed in.

here is a newer picture.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/88%)
yea i agree with getting rid of the pots' you can get a mini hob pretty cheap , and it would help with water aggitation , and flow, and also out' of the way ... until then, try putting your tall java fern in front of the pot thats your filter' for now, and remove the other pot, I would add small leaved plants & stems so the tank doesnt get the full' look too quickly . try some rotella idica . *( spelling maybye wrong) and other small stems. what is your watts on your lighting ? You may want to add in some creeping jenny, that seems to stay small for me, also a really nice plant again.. sp. ~ cardinals small form' those would look neat in the front along the foreground . I have a few of these if you need any , just send me a pm , i am sure we could get this tank planted' in no time it can be a nice planted tank, I really like the canopy & base. hope you didnt have to pay to much for this custom tank . HTH & GL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
What kind of light is being used for this tank? If it's anything between 13 & 27W you can grow a decent amount of stuff in there. Personally, I have to suggest ditching the filter you currently have and adding a Red Sea Nano Filter. I've got one on my 2.5g and it's honestly the best you can get for a small tank like that. Toss it on the back and cut a section of the hood in the back to accommodate it. I actually dial mine down a bit and get excellent flow throughout the whole tank still. I'd also have to agree to change out the substrate to something more suitable for plants, but that's up to you.
As far as plants go, if you're in the low light range, get some manzanita and tie some moss to it, I'd go with something like Taiwan Moss. Or get some bigger, thicker wood and cover it with Anubias nana and Anubias nana 'petite'. Another plants I've got growing in mine right now is Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, or what you could probably find for sale as "Narrow Leaf Microsword" (thats what we bought it as). It would probably require a more porous substrate but it grows fine in low light and explodes in high light.
Lastly, I'd suggest moving all the 'equipment' to the back of the tank, if you don't want to take it out. I personally don't use a thermometer if I'm stocking with hardy fish (like the Betta you plan to add) and instead of a MagFloat I use both a chopstick with a 1.5"x1.5" piece of sponge taped to the end for GDA and a fine bristle toothbrush to scrape off the thicker GSA.

|

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm currently using a 10 fluorescent bulb. I was using a 20w 50/50 that it came with but since swapping it I noticed it has much better color and coverage. would a 10w bulb for a 2gallon tank be considered low or hight? 5wpg?

I'm surprised that nobody likes my pot idea. Its my understanding that a primative filtration source would suffice with a low tech planted/betta tank. Maybe I'll use it on my next tank as a functional yet decorational piece. I'll look into getting the red sea hob filter. I used to have one long time ago and it worked fine. I'll see if I can find one cheap online since the LFS's don't have any thus far.

regarding the custom part.. I originally bought this tank from CL by a local guy who was making tanks ready for saltwater..it had a false wall with a power head and stuff. I paid 100 bucks for it a couple years ago, and had a saltwater pico for quite a while. I recently swapped out the glass portion and had to rebuild the base because it was off by 1/8th of an inch.. sucked...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
10w on a 2.5 is considered low light.

|

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok well thats fine cause this is a tank for my office. I don't want to spend too much time trying to add ferts, trim, and monitor co2 when I should be working... I will dose and use Excel but on a smaller scale obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
10w on a 2.5 is considered low light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode