My first Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
My first Nano

Got the Aquatop last summer on a sale for $54. Finally set it up yesterday. The ideas is as low tech as possible. I am going to figure out something to attach the java fern to. Then some really simple carpet that does not need CO2.

Had to modify the filter, Greg Bettay liked to rest up in the corner and it would suck his fins in and pin him to the side.

I will throw in 3 or 4 pygmy Cories in ASAP.

So on day two...here it is!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by ichy; 11-02-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very cool, are you enjoying the aquatop so far? I'm thinking of doing a set of 3 Nanos this fall but haven't decided on a tank.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton24 View Post
Very cool, are you enjoying the aquatop so far? I'm thinking of doing a set of 3 Nanos this fall but haven't decided on a tank.

Its a little early I've only had it set up for a couple days, but so far I like it. I'd buy another one.

This is pretty much a low tech Betta tank so very undemanding for my needs.

One thing I had to do was decrease the inflow, but that's only because Greg(yes I named him Greg) would rest up in the corner and his fins would get sucked in.

The filter has lots of room for whatever type of media you want, and it shipped with little baskets of ceramic beads and about 4 mini bio balls. I added a bunch of mechanical filtration with a square of blue pad and a couple chunks of sponge.

You can get at the filter chamber very easily by pulling on the front lip and the whole filter chamber comes out. Being my first all-in-one tank, I assume this is sort of standard though.

It's quite, it is setting on my nightstand and I don't notice any noise.

The stock light is mediocre as most are.
But on sale for $54! I'd buy another one.

Bump: JamesThorton24,
I don't know if you have done Nano's in the past, but the first thing I noticed....they are TOUGH to aquascape! That tiny area makes layouts tough! And then physically getting my fat fingers in there...

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Rescaped today. Glued the java fern directly to some rocks.
Then placed the rocks. Plants look a little hokey right now, but when they start growing they should look more natural. I need to scape this tank so it looks good from two sides, the front when you approach the tank, and from the bed side of the nightstand.(the wife's view!)

I need to back fill with some sand and get a carpet started.

Added some Pygmy Cory's today as well.
Seems there is a guy right up the road from that breeds Cory's. I went to visit him today!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Bump: JamesThorton24,
I don't know if you have done Nano's in the past, but the first thing I noticed....they are TOUGH to aquascape! That tiny area makes layouts tough! And then physically getting my fat fingers in there...
My smallest has been a 10 but I can imagine, I have fat fingers lol maybe it'll be part of the fun

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update, got the carpet planted, the java fern is growing and getting the typical new tank diatom explosion. I think I'm going to put root tabs around the tennulus as I don't do any other dosing.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sweet cories!
My daughter's betta has colouring just like yours. We were tempted to call him Christmas but decided on Charlie instead. Greg Bettay has a pale green iridescence on the white body right?

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I love the woodscape you have! I like how you mounted it to a rock to give it a rooted look.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Sweet cories!
My daughter's betta has colouring just like yours. We were tempted to call him Christmas but decided on Charlie instead. Greg Bettay has a pale green iridescence on the white body right?
yes, he does, but if I change the lighting I can get it to an almost cream white.

All the fish are a hoot! When I turn on the light in the morning they all line up like cows at the feeder!

Its been years since I've had a betta and I forget how cool they are. He comes to the glass, follows you with his eyes, eats from your fingers...they are cool!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
I love the woodscape you have! I like how you mounted it to a rock to give it a rooted look.
Thanks, that was the look I was going for, kindof-a-flooded look, like a tree was growing here then flooded and killed the tree. I hope it looks more "floody" when everything grows in more.

The only thing I still kinda don't like is that the main rock is one color and the others are gray. I may have to find just the right rock or rocks to compliment the main rock more.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode