My new Marina Cubus planted Betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new Marina Cubus planted Betta tank

Hello Planted tank members,

Just signed up for the site so I wanted to introduce myself and show you my new tank. It looks like there is a ton of information on this site and have just begun to read deep into it. I have keeps reef tanks for much of my like, but this is the first planted tank I have had.

After noticing the newly available types of Betta's I knew I needed one for my desk at work. I picked out a Plakat Betta and the seach was on for a new home. I was stuck between the Marina Cubus and the Deep Blue 8x8x8 cube. I ended up with the Cubus based on my coworkers amazon prime account. I could have it in my hands in 2 days for around 20 bucks. I am regretting not getting the 8x8x8 but for now this will do.

I have never had a Plakat Betta or even heard of them for that matter. After poking around on the net about them I realized this little punk is aggressive. He thrashes all around the tank and moves my newly scaped aqua soil. I have had to add a little more soil then I wanted just to keep the roots covered. It may be too small for him but he needs to deal with it for now. I hope this doesn't rile up the Betta police assuming there is some around here.

So on to the photo of my tank. I am really enjoying it much to my surprise as I have always snubbed my nose to freshwater tanks. I put a dwarf sword and sorry I cannot remember the name of the other plant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

plakat is just the tail type unless you specifically get a fighter bred plakat.

Do you have a heater in there? It looks nice but I'm glad you recognize that it's much too small.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your betta is probably going nuts because there is no room to move around

I would recommend removing the nerite also because it will turn your tank into a poop factory

Very cool hardscape though, would be cool to just add a few neocaridina shrimp and a ramshorn or two

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The betta only goes nuts when he sees me and thinks it is time to eat. When he is not being viewed he seems fine, but again I would like to get him into a bigger home.

I am not running a heater but the water temp is 74.8 which seems to be to low end of what a Betta requires. I am on a chilled water system at work so the ambient temperature never goes more then a degree over or under set point. I do building automation as a job and have access to different types of controllers that I could program to run a heater and a temperature sensor. I was also looking at the bettastik heater but not sure how well it performs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

any of those small betta heaters will probably only raise the temp a degree or two, you need to get it up to 78 at least.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Your fish is most likely 'thrashing about the tank' because its so small (plakats are very active fast swimmers with their shorter fins), seeing its reflection in the glass, and lack of hiding places or shade from the light. I personally wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 2g for bettas, those marinia tanks are just under 1g empty. With wood and substrate you get less than 0.5g for fish. With heater you loose more room, but they really should have a heater (would you like being naked in a small cage at 60F? all day? No).
Go check out Walmart for a Anchor hawking 2g cookie jar, they're $10 and will give the fish more swim room, also teh curved glass will remove the glass surfing from seeing its reflection. Also look into more plants and some floaters, bettas don't like having 'the sun in heir eyes' all the time.
For a heater I'd strongly recommend a hydro theo 25 watt adjustable heater (i don't thin it will fit in that tiny of a tank though). The tiny 'betta heaters' that aren't adjustable tend to cook fish or the heaters paint peals off and poison them.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode