No-tech planted jar advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No-tech planted jar advice

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to fish and plant keeping. I currently have a 29g planted tank that is doing really well so far. I'm considering doing a small planted tank in a 1-2 gallon glass jar just for something fun to have in my room. I want it to be basically no tech except occasional feeding, ferts and water changes, and I was hoping for some tips on doing so! Here is the setup I am so far thinking (using things I currently have)

-~2 gallon jar (need to measure how much it takes)
-Fluval stratum substrate (only because I have this on hand. If this works out, I may try another using the walstad method just for an experiment)
-Fluorescent desk lamp/Sunlight (whichever the plants do better with)
-No heater
-No filter (will do water changes every 1-2 weeks as needed)
-Dose CO2 and ferts until plants establish?
-Will add a few snails and maybe shrimp after plants settle in (1-2 months maybe) and there is some algae for them.
-I will also likely use some of the water from my current tank that is already established to help it along

Questions:
-Does this sound reasonable so far?
-Which plants are easily accessible and hardy that would do well in this setting?(eg. from Canadian Petsmart). I was thinking Hornwort, because I hear it quite hardy even without CO2 or proper lighting, and is a good competitor for algae because it grows fairly quickly. I was also thinking some Ludwigia and a Crypt or Anubias. I will try to use some plants I have from my big tank once they grow a little more (Wisteria, ludwigia, crypts, etc.)
-Should I dose with ferts and CO2 at the beginning for the plants until it balances out after the critters are in?
-How big water changes should I do? I was thinking 50%

I would appreciate any tips for this project! When I get it going I will try to post pictures and updates, but it may take some time. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lightbulb

Hello! I love jars and vases. Fluorescent lamp would likely be more stable if you can do it. On a timer of course. But indirect sunlight also helps and you can reduce the artificial light accordingly.

If you want no tech/low tech and will be using Fluval Stratum you can skip the CO2 and ferts. I have plants growing quite well in this substrate, with low light. Rare dose of Fluorish comprehensive. Two plus months strong.

E.g water wisteria, Bacopa monnieri, Ludwigia
Also doing well are weeping moss and Java moss (I guess they're getting enough from the water)

I have no experience with hornwort, but I think it grows in the lakes around here so it's gotta be hardy. the Petsmart around here has Alternanthera reinickii (I can't remember if they label it as Telanthera cardinalis). I hear this is fairly easy too.

Depending on what fauna you end up putting in later, you may not need to do large/frequent water changes. People do all sorts with these low tech/no tech jars as far as WC is concerned. From none to a lot. I tend to stick with weekly 20-25% WC once my tanks are cycled. It's just simpler to keep on track. And for a one or two gallon jar, that's just 1-2 litres! I keep water ready to go in milk jugs for this purpose. Milk jugs are my friends.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Hello! I love jars and vases. Fluorescent lamp would likely be more stable if you can do it. On a timer of course. But indirect sunlight also helps and you can reduce the artificial light accordingly.

If you want no tech/low tech and will be using Fluval Stratum you can skip the CO2 and ferts. I have plants growing quite well in this substrate, with low light. Rare dose of Fluorish comprehensive. Two plus months strong.

Also doing well are weeping moss and Java moss (I guess they're getting enough from the water)

I have no experience with hornwort, but I think it grows in the lakes around here so it's gotta be hardy. the Petsmart around here has Alternanthera reinickii (I can't remember if they label it as Telanthera cardinalis). I hear this is fairly easy too.

Depending on what fauna you end up putting in later, you may not need to do large/frequent water changes. People do all sorts with these low tech/no tech jars as far as WC is concerned. From none to a lot. I tend to stick with weekly 20-25% WC once my tanks are cycled. It's just simpler to keep on track. And for a one or two gallon jar, that's just 1-2 litres! I keep water ready to go in milk jugs for this purpose. Milk jugs are my friends.
hey hey my friend, question: is a bubbler necessary for a vase or jar if its only filled with plants? or am i killing the co2 that its getting? i have this small maybe 1 gallon tank thing that i put miracle gro in and am using the little led it came with. i put in a small bubbler just for $hits and giggles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangewaters View Post
hey hey my friend, question: is a bubbler necessary for a vase or jar if its only filled with plants? or am i killing the co2 that its getting? i have this small maybe 1 gallon tank thing that i put miracle gro in and am using the little led it came with. i put in a small bubbler just for $hits and giggles
I am planning on putting a bubbler in one of my vases (2+ gallons). Also for s---s and giggles.

Do you really need fast growth in the jar anyway? So why not keep the bubbler if it makes you happy. Regardless of whether it decreases the CO2 in the water.

Daisy Mae V
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello! I love jars and vases.
Really? Should we really believe this statement?

Bump: Welcome dollyhorse101.

I too just setup a no-tech jar. Just did not post any picture yet...
Mine is very no-tech. A layer of clay dug out from the backyard and pond soil.
I put Anacharis, cryptocoryne, water sprite, water wisteria, Alternanthera reinickii and Sagittaria Subulata.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Thanks! Good advice. I'll see how the plants do in only the substrate. Same with the water changes. Who knows, if all goes well I'll only have to do top offs. Glad I am more or less on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Really? Should we really believe this statement?

Bump: Welcome dollyhorse101.

I too just setup a no-tech jar. Just did not post any picture yet...
Mine is very no-tech. A layer of clay dug out from the backyard and pond soil.
I put Anacharis, cryptocoryne, water sprite, water wisteria, Alternanthera reinickii and Sagittaria Subulata.
Thanks for the welcome and the plant list. I'd love to see a picture!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check Daisy Mae and AquaAurora usernames. They have some nice one :-)

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Check Daisy Mae and AquaAurora usernames. They have some nice one :-)

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Awww, that's so nice of you, Mario. And here I was going to ask you what rumors you want to start (you know, about believing my statement regarding liking vases).

dollyhorse101, here is a link to the thread he's referring to.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=918113

Daisy Mae V
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Awww, that's so nice of you, Mario. And here I was going to ask you what rumors you want to start (you know, about believing my statement regarding liking vases).

dollyhorse101, here is a link to the thread he's referring to.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=918113
Very cool! Getting lots of ideas. Thanks!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyhorse101 View Post
Very cool! Getting lots of ideas. Thanks!
Told you. there are other but forgot usernames. I know there is a thread on "cylinders" vase.

Me would not start rumors Daisy Mae lol.

|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 03:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

He, he forgot (weird huh) about that cylinder thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=911650

And here's another one.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=363465

Daisy Mae V

Tags
jar, no-tech, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode