Filstar XP2 on 5G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Filstar XP2 on 5G

I'm exploring my equipment options as I prepare to move from a 55G tank to a 5G nano. I currently have a Rena Filstar XP2 on the 55G and I was thinking of using it on the 5G. Obviously as is, the current is way way too strong for a 5G, but I was thinking of adding a bypass valve between the inlet and outlet tubing close to the filter. That way I can open or close that valve to increase or decrease the amount of water that bypasses the tank and simply get's recirculated in the filter between the inlet and outlet tubing. That way I can reduce the flow without putting lots of back pressure on the pump.

Does that sound like a good idea? The only thing that I can think of that might be a problem is oxygen depletion in the water that's being recirculated since there will be about 2/3 of the water flow that would go thru the filter a handful of times before ever making it to the tank to get oxygenated all the while bacteria are using the oxygen in it.

Thanks,
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
sounds possible.. just make sure you don't stop the flow alot on the outlet side.. the canister starts making weird noises.

i have 2 XP2's on my 18g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Muscle View Post
I'm exploring my equipment options as I prepare to move from a 55G tank to a 5G nano. I currently have a Rena Filstar XP2 on the 55G and I was thinking of using it on the 5G. Obviously as is, the current is way way too strong for a 5G, but I was thinking of adding a bypass valve between the inlet and outlet tubing close to the filter. That way I can open or close that valve to increase or decrease the amount of water that bypasses the tank and simply get's recirculated in the filter between the inlet and outlet tubing. That way I can reduce the flow without putting lots of back pressure on the pump.

Does that sound like a good idea? The only thing that I can think of that might be a problem is oxygen depletion in the water that's being recirculated since there will be about 2/3 of the water flow that would go thru the filter a handful of times before ever making it to the tank to get oxygenated all the while bacteria are using the oxygen in it.

Thanks,
Harry
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
sounds possible.. just make sure you don't stop the flow alot on the outlet side.. the canister starts making weird noises.

i have 2 XP2's on my 18g.
2 Filters on 2 separate 18G tanks, or 2 filters on 1 18G tank? If it's two filters on one tank, how much current are you seeing? Any reason why you went with two of these filters on one tank? Did you restrict the flow on the filters or are they going full blast?

Thanks,
Harry

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Restricted flow. Stuffed the canisters with cotton like stuff you get in a bag at the pet store along with the pads that were in them. Leave the charcoal out.

I'm using both XP2's on the 18g at about 75% flow. (using the inline adjuster). Anything more the canister starts bubbling or making weird tapping noises.

Flow looks great. Steady back and forth sways from the stems etc.

If you want to reduce flow some more, try to aim the outflow at a side of the tank and bounce it. I have both outflows on each back corner of my tank, facing to the opposite diagonal from corners.

No real reason getting 2 XP2's. I figured I should double it up with keep with my scheme for the tank. It's a 18g hightech tank with 4x24w t5HO.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/67%)
sounds like an overkill on a 5g.

i was using an Eheim 2215 on my 10g, and took it out after a day. too much flow, to big, yatta yatta.

why not check out those ZOOmed, nano turtle canisters?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
I'm using both XP2's on the 18g at about 75% flow. (using the inline adjuster). Anything more the canister starts bubbling or making weird tapping noises.
I don't own an xp but do they adjust flow on the input?

With the Eheims you don't want to restrict flow on the input, it will cause unnecessary strain to the motor and cause cavitation. Only use the output side for flow reduction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
should be fun with the xp2 on a 5G ..!! whats the point of restrict the flow of the filter for? just run it max or dont run it at all get another filter for the right size!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
sounds like an overkill on a 5g.

i was using an Eheim 2215 on my 10g, and took it out after a day. too much flow, to big, yatta yatta.

why not check out those ZOOmed, nano turtle canisters?
I've looked into them, but it sort of hurts to sell an XP2 and get just about enough money to buy a Zoomed 501 ... I'd rather keep the large XP2 and use it somehow.

Harry
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post
should be fun with the xp2 on a 5G ..!! whats the point of restrict the flow of the filter for? just run it max or dont run it at all get another filter for the right size!!
There's actually a handful of reasons to use a large filter on a small tank, if you can adjust the flow. For one, the larger filter will get proportionally less dirty and require cleaning less often. Also since it's being put on a small tank, the added volume actually makes a difference (ie: adds about 15% to 20% to the total water volume).

Thanks,
Harry
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have an XP3 on an 18G (ADA 60P) and modified the flow adjuster to make it work on my setup with lily pipes (I just sawed off one end of the flow adjuster)... works like a charm... for the outflow it goes

flow adjuster
inline diffuser
inline heater
outflow lily pipe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeit View Post
I have an XP3 on an 18G (ADA 60P) and modified the flow adjuster to make it work on my setup with lily pipes (I just sawed off one end of the flow adjuster)... works like a charm... for the outflow it goes

flow adjuster
inline diffuser
inline heater
outflow lily pipe
That's exactly how I have mine setup too for 1 of the XP2. Except I'm thinking about adding a chiller to it now.

The adjuster is on the outflow (previous post)

I just cleaned out both XP2's and the put the flow to wide open for giggles. It looks kind of cool with the plants swaying in the background

spilkeit, Newton?? What part? We can be ADA 60P friends haha
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
keep the filter more water volume is a definite plus and less o2 means more co2.......... and lower the flow by adding a sponge on the inlet and get the zoomed 501 sponge its the perfect fit on most intakes and its black very fry,shrimp friendly

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode