2.5 Gal Desk Tank, 6/4/10 restart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
2.5 Gal Desk Tank, 6/4/10 restart

I share my home office with my wife. She is a big time scrapbooker so her desk is all decorated and creative. I just have a big mess. Well, to be fair, her scrapbooking desk is a big mess most of the time too.

I think I might be coming down with MTS, but luckily for my wife, we don't have the room or budget for it. But I was still able to talk her into a nano tank for my part of the office. After some searching and waiting on craigslist and PT, I finally found one. A 2.5 gallon planted cherry shrimp tank.

It was going to be on top of a cabinet next to my desk, but it fit perfectly into a shelf on my desk, so it is now basically a wall tank.

Equipment-
RedSea nano HOB
Marinland mini heater
26W screw in CFL
Fluorite Black substrate

Flora-
anubias petite
lace java fern
downoi
HC
anubias ?
floater ?

Fauna-
20+ juvenile cherry shrimp
1 oto
? TBD

Ferts-
excel
flourish comprehensive

My messy desk

My light is kind of hoaky. I put it together with parts from some old worklights from the garage. I think I will upgrade that soon to something a little nicer.

A better view of the tank

The petite had some BBA from my 125, so it has some recovering to do. I want to grow the HC across the tank some more and I would like to add some thing to the drift wood. I think subwassertang or maybe a nice moss like star.

What do you all think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by yikesjason; 06-04-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very pretty. I like the location too. Your lighting looks just like mine except without the rusty reflector, lol.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You'll definitely need to upgrade the light, I think, but it definitely looks good, and I like how snug it is in that desk!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank looks great, and I like the location. What are you using for a background?

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald2 View Post
The tank looks great, and I like the location. What are you using for a background?
I spray painted the background with white, green, and black. I used a crumpled up plastic bag as a stencil to do some layering to get some depth. It came out a lot better on my practice glass than it did on here. I will probably redo it at some point.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadreamer View Post
Very pretty. I like the location too. Your lighting looks just like mine except without the rusty reflector, lol.
The inside of the reflector is a lot cleaner, and it has at least a little bit of polish. But hey, it was quick and cheap. The tank came will plants and shrimp, and the light it came with didn't fit in that spot. So I just came up with something I could do on the spur of the moment because those plants weren't going to wait.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks a lot better than it did when it left here

the anubias is supposed to be a nana (non petite) .. and the floaters came from world of wet pets.. sold as water lettuce.... but true water lettuce is quite large (leaves 1 to 6" across) so I'm not really sure what it is.

Have you spotted any of the younger shrimp yet? I know there's at least one or two. They're 1/4 the size of the others and I couldn't tell if they were cherry or tigers.

I'm glad they've found a good home other than on the floor in my office!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

There are a lot of shrimp in there. But everything I have seen so far looks like cherries. But that is fine with me.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
wow i like it nice job
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very, very nice.
Light seems really rusty, but if it works , and it's hidden it'll do IMO.

||
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Like others have mentioned, I really love how it fits into that desk. Nice.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
.. and the floaters came from world of wet pets.. sold as water lettuce.... but true water lettuce is quite large (leaves 1 to 6" across) so I'm not really sure what it is.
Water lettuce has a mini form that it takes in aquariums. So yes, it is really water lettuce.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To day my 2 year old son got to my container of Hakari shrimp food next to the tank and dumped the whole thing out, I am just glad he couldn't get to the tank.

He helps me feed the fish in the big tank everyday. I should have known he would try to feed the shrimp tank too. I was able to scoop most of it up off the floor. The adventures of having children.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Nice tank. Glad to hear that you were able to clean up most of the food!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 09:32 AM

That looks sweet man, I love the way it fit into that cubby hole. I dont know if it would eat your cherry shrimp but a really nice half moon betta would look sweet in there, just a thought. I might have to try this out lol.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode