2.5 Gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon Tank

I got a new rimless tank, I'm not sure how many gallons because I measured it quickly but it's about 2.5-3 gallons. It's about 11.5 long 11 tall and 5 wide.

Light: 12" finnex stingray OR 13W fluval light. I think it's about 6500K
Flora: anubias Nana petit, Dwarf Hairgrass and some other more easy plants (not sure)
Fauna: Betta
Substrate: fluval shrimp stratum
Ferts: Either exel or seachem flourish comprehensive and root tabs.

I have a few questions.
1. Which light would you guys recommend? Both are around the same price. Will this be too much light?
2. How much should I dose?
3. Any aquascaping ideas for these weird measurements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

What filter will you be using?

1. I'd go with the stingray.
2. Ferts? There's directions on the bottle. It's usually a capful for like 50 gallons or something. You can figure out how many milliliters that is and then divide that by 20 for how much you should use.
3. Some manzanita would look awesome if you can find a long and thin piece that'll fit. Maybe round river rocks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed, keep kicking it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrerobanana View Post
What filter will you be using?
Not sure. Was probably thinking this;
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A455-Nano-Aquarium-Filter/dp/B004BZKDZC
Thanks, in Canada our wood is very limited

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
Not sure. Was probably thinking this;
: Amazon.com: Fluval Nano Aquarium Filter

Thanks, in Canada our wood is very limited
Good luck!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If at first you don't succeed, keep kicking it

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Algae Grower

Stingray wild work well, also I believe Finnex has a clip on planted plus light for nano aquariums. Just look up "planted plus clip light" on amazon.

Personally, for very small nanoscapes, I think plants that will rise out of the water look awesome. But then again floating plants also look very cool. Because with nanoscapes, they're usually placed at table height which means a lot of the time you'll be seeing it from the top. Therefore, it's a good idea to plan a good "birds eye view" scape as well. I think driftwood that comes out of the water is perfect for this, or if you can find aquatic plants that actually come out of the water too.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I got a new rimless tank, I'm not sure how many gallons because I measured it quickly but it's about 2.5-3 gallons. It's about 11.5 long 11 tall and 5 wide.

That's real tricky for dimensions. Basically it's half of a cube, right? So you get a square view up front, but there's hardly any depth.
I'd suggest a slope, left to right, tallest spot on the back left with a dip in front of it, lowest spot right front. Or vice versa. If you can get some rocks to shore up the slope, that would help to bank it up.

Then keep it simple with maybe three groupings of plants. Larger stem plants on the right back side, make this a larger grouping of one plant type. Short foreground plants like small crypts in the front left, either one or three small groupings which can extend close to or even past the centre, and maybe a clump of higher light stem plants back left. You can keep this trimmed to desired height.

You can attach the light closer to the back since you're planning on a clip light.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	510962
He he, rough drawing.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-25-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Add attachment, typo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
That's real tricky for dimensions. Basically it's half of a cube, right? So you get a square view up front, but there's hardly any depth.
I'd suggest a slope, left to right, tallest spot on the back left with a dip in front of it, lowest spot right front. Or vice versa. If you can get some rocks to shore up the slope, that would help to bank it up.

Then keep it simple with maybe three groupings of plants. Larger stem plants on the right back side, make this a larger grouping of one plant type. Short foreground plants like small crypts in the front left, either one or three small groupings which can extend close to or even past the centre, and maybe a clump of higher light stem plants back left. You can keep this trimmed to desired height.

You can attach the light closer to the back since you're planning on a clip light.
Attachment 510962
He he, rough drawing.
It's not really a cube, I'll post a pic. Also I like your idea, but I plan in using anubias nana petit between the rocks. I'm not sure what kind, maybe lava rock or seiryu stone or dragon, no idea. I'm thinking 3 rocks in the left side with lots of tall plants on the right behind then. Bettas need some place to rest and hide. I'll put some anubias nana petite in between the 3 rocks. The a carpet of DHG and some other type of plant at the back.

The tank, sorry about bad quality.

Idea, but I'm not sure about which rocks. And no rocks on the left as it takes too much space.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eparreno View Post
Stingray wild work well, also I believe Finnex has a clip on planted plus light for nano aquariums. Just look up "planted plus clip light" on amazon.

Personally, for very small nanoscapes, I think plants that will rise out of the water look awesome. But then again floating plants also look very cool. Because with nanoscapes, they're usually placed at table height which means a lot of the time you'll be seeing it from the top. Therefore, it's a good idea to plan a good "birds eye view" scape as well. I think driftwood that comes out of the water is perfect for this, or if you can find aquatic plants that actually come out of the water too.
I actually might have a lid
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Really nice tank! Wherre did you get it? (brand?)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Really nice tank! Wherre did you get it? (brand?)
Thank you! I actually don't see a brand name.. It has a small sticker saying the address of where I bought it and that it has 1 year guarantee (in Polish) but no brand.

Sorry!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, a betta! Love those fishes.
Whatever rock you choose, make sure it is smooth so no dragon stone or lava rock recommended. The fins may get damaged by rough stone. The anubias nestled between them sounds great!
Ludwigia repens for the back? Will give you a change of colour and texture from your other plant choices.

I'm excited for you, this has lots of potential.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

Light: 12" finnex stingray OR 13W fluval light. I think it's about 6500K
Flora: anubias Nana petit, Dwarf Hairgrass and some other more easy plants (not sure)
Fauna: Betta
Substrate: fluval shrimp stratum
Ferts: Either exel or seachem flourish comprehensive and root tabs.

I have a few questions.
1. Which light would you guys recommend? Both are around the same price. Will this be too much light?
2. How much should I dose?

where did you get this tank? I have been looking for something with those dimensions!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 AM
Planted Member

Very nice tank, I like tall and long. I would suggest either a rock formation building towards one side or the other.

OR

Stepped levels, steppign up to one side. Each step containing same or different carpeting plants.

OR

Tall Plants on one side, short plants on the other

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmeister View Post
Very nice tank, I like tall and long. I would suggest either a rock formation building towards one side or the other.

OR

Stepped levels, steppign up to one side. Each step containing same or different carpeting plants.

OR

Tall Plants on one side, short plants on the other
Diagrams would be helpful
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushdoggie View Post
where did you get this tank? I have been looking for something with those dimensions!
Truaqua has two with similar dimensions, but they are expensive:

http://www.truaqua.com/high-clarity-...ish-tanks.html

(Nano Sky High ones)

I would probably put a stingray on this one and do low-ish light plants... the stingray is really thin.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushdoggie View Post
Sorry, missed this completely. I actually got this in some store in Poland, sorry. I Can't find a brand on it either. I bet if you really wanted one you could get it built. I'm surprised to like these dimensions! They're challenging!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode