5.5 gallon planted nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 gallon planted nano

Hi everybody, first post here but I have used the info found on this site to start a new planted nano. I have a 15 low-tech planted tank (mosses, anubias, java fern etc) as well, but with the new 5.5 gallon I wanted something a bit more faster growing, thinking maybe a medium-tech tank. Sorry no pics yet, camara is broken, hopefully soon I'll get some up

Here are the specifics:

Tank: 5.5 AGA tank with glass top
Filter: Aquaclear 20 (turned low)
Heater: Elite 25 watt
Light: (?)
Substrate: Seachem Flourite Black Sand
Plants (so far): 1 cryptocoryne becketti
2 java fern (plantlets from 15 gallon)
java moss on bogwood(from 15 gallon)
Co2: Excel I use for 15 gallon
fish: celestial pearl danios (4)

I haven't decided on lights yet, but have looked at the Coralife Mini Aqualight (2x 9 watt) and the AGA single 14 watt 16" fixture. I was hoping to find the Home Depot 27 watt Desk lamp everybody talks about, but no luck here in canada I don't think. What should I do, short of DIY stuff which I have no time for. I have seen 60 watt lamps, but I am unsure about using lower wattage bulbs in the sockets (read here its bad).

Is 14 watts on a 5.5 gallon much better than 15 watts on a 15 gallon? What wattage would I need for my existing plants and dwarf hair grass or amazon swords? Any other medium light plants that are easy to maintain?

Also, I was told that sand is poor for rooting plants. Am I ok planting my cryptos or other plants in sand? I thought flourite sand would be good for plants but have now been told that sand is bad for plants.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I decided to go with a Hampton Bay desk lamp with a 23 watt cf bulb, which I think will work well because I can adjust the distance of the light to the substrate.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sand is actually fantastic for crypts. It is less ideal for strong-rooting plants that like a rich substrate such as sword plants. But none of the plants you have listed will be problematic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode