A Collection of Vases - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Collection of Vases

Hello TPT.

I am so awesome at starting things. Completion though, has never been my strongest suit. I am hoping that I can at least see these vases through to maturity. As the title suggests, I have several planted vases to share with you. One mature, two just started, and another one in development. Vases attract me, since they started existence as something meant for a purpose other than to hold fish. Yet, they hold water and plant cuttings ie flowers, so why not? They are also inherently pretty even when empty.

Here is the first one, it is over a month old. A hurricane vase purchased from Michaels for fifteen dollars (and that was the sale price). This is its second iteration, the first being an experiment to see if club moss in an emersed driftwood pocket will do well. Sadly, it didn't.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	510393
Located in bathroom with north facing window.
Total capacity 1.5 gallons but actual water volume is 1 gallon.
It has a coarse sand substrate with a root tab. Tom mini internal filter with the outflow baffled by a piece of tulle. Ikea LED light. Heater pending, it is now at 21C/70F.
Mopani wood with Java moss attached.
Sprigs of Bacopa, Brazilian pennywort, water wisteria
Java fern, one dwarf sag, Amazon frogbit

And yes, it has a betta. Delta tail, looks like he's a marbled lavender.
Please don't judge, I understand he needs more room but this is what I can do for now. Since I bought him yesterday he has been exploring his new home and has started to colour up. Feel free to tell me to move him, it will make you feel better and I may eventually heed your advice.

Other vases to follow in the next few days.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
can you give me a link to the light you bought from ikea?
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80169636/

It's a warm white bulb, not even close to daylight. However, the plants seem to be growing well with it so I'm not complaining. The bulb is not replaceable. I used the clamp version, but there's one with an integral desk stand.

Daisy Mae V

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like this. I've wanted to do one of these with a 3' vase for years, but I'm afraid of the kids/dogs destroying it. It's nice to see one started well. Best of luck!
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
I really like this. I've wanted to do one of these with a 3' vase for years, but I'm afraid of the kids/dogs destroying it. It's nice to see one started well. Best of luck!
Thank you for the compliment. This vase has grown on me quite a bit since last week when the moss started to look more lush and was draping well. The stem plants also just took off soon after I put the root tab in. Before that it was just blah. It did provide entertainment because the bladder snails like to surf the surface and I even caught one diving. Made my jaw drop.

Forgot, there's a baby Nymphoidea 'Taiwan' hiding behind the water wisteria.

Hopefully you do set up that 3-foot vase. It will be very interesting. Challenging to provide lighting too but that's part of the fun! I'm lucky, the kids are grown up enough that they're more likely to help than hinder when it comes to the tanks. No dog, but we keep discussing getting one. Probably after the house renos start to calm down.

Daisy Mae V
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was out for a stroll when...

So the car was at the dealer's for warranty work today and I had a couple of hours to kill downtown.
Enter "Chintz". This place is dangerous. I was greeted by shelves and shelves of cylindrical vases, the widest being ten inches. There was a ten wide by 18 tall! I seriously had a hard time resisting. But then I saw these:

Views:	207
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	510954
Seriously! How do you expect me not to buy one? Even worse, I don't have one of these and there's so many great bowls set up by you folks. So I took a 12 inch version home. If it's a perfect sphere it calculates to 3.6 gallons. So likely I can fill it up to three.

Now my only problem is where to put it. Because you see, I have a 12 by 12 inch cylinder coming from Amazon. Aargh! My daughter will probably volunteer her desk for one of these tanks which leaves the other potentially unfilled. That, my friends, would be very sad.

Anyway, she's with Dad until Labour Day, and the cylinder isn't home yet. I will probably give her the choice of whether she wants the bowl or cylinder. She can choose livestock after it's cycled. I am hoping to influence her towards a Betta or Endlers. But, big "but", I get to do the planting.

PS, tried to get "Bravo" the betta to eat some pellets today. He totally snubbed them. Then I remembered that my vermicomposting bin has white worms. Hah! He gulped down two. Just goes to show you how well moving food goes over with these guys.

Daisy Mae V

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-25-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added info
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looks nice! heater pending, hopefully soon! it's chilly for a betta I'm not going to tell you to take the betta out haha, I prefer bigger homes but as long as you keep the parameters good and the water warm the betta should be fine
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
looks nice! heater pending, hopefully soon! it's chilly for a betta I'm not going to tell you to take the betta out haha, I prefer bigger homes but as long as you keep the parameters good and the water warm the betta should be fine
I just bought a heater! It's an under gravel one, so I have to muck around the tank a bit, I confess, not looking forward to the likely mess. I just thought that it would not eat into his swimming room.
Thanks for the compliment btw.

Daisy Mae V
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

A bubble nest

Good sign that he's at least comfortable. Temp is now at 24C/ 75F.
Isn't he pretty? Shhh, don't let him hear that girly word.

Views:	214
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	511578
Zaki and Zaki like this.

Daisy Mae V
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

ohh he's coloured right up! what a beauty! nice bubble nest too!
post #11 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes, he's beautiful. I never expected that kind of colour from a Betta.

I did read somewhere (this forum I think) that when shopping for Bettas, to consider the pale ones with unusual colors, as they would likely brighten up after a few days in a good tank.

I wasn't shopping for Bettas by any means, but the local Pet Culture had a ton of new guys, even a mustard type. Sadly, I had to pass on him since even one was a bit of a stretch.

Because he's such a beauty, I'm going to have to seriously read up on and consider breeding him. I figure I have maybe a six month window given he's already probably close to 6 months old.

Daisy Mae V
post #12 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn't recommend breeding personally, just because it can be hard to find homes for all the babies and because it isn't just about colours but also finnage. But if you are interested check out the Betta Breeders Canada Club and the International Betta Congress. They both have lots of info.
post #13 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks very much for the reading homework- it should give me a good start ref decision making. Very good point on re-homing babies!

Daisy Mae V
post #14 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

it's a big endeavor to take for sure, since once they start maturing you have to have enough places to separate males and aggressive females while keeping them heated and with fresh water! Some breeders have really awesome setups but it requires a lot of plumbing.
post #15 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Wish I could find someplace other than Michel's around here to get nice vases/bubble bowls (that place it too over priced). How much was your new bowl?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
low tech, nano, vase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode