curvilinear II - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
curvilinear II

Nothing like stumbling on your next project. I was at Marshalls killing some time waiting for an appointment and noticed these nice sized glass cylinders and decided I needed to bring one home, it's about two gallons. The stump was collected while out hiking with my son last fall & it's been soaking in bucket of water along with some oak leaves I use for my dart frog viv ever since. The glass cylinder & the little stump looked like they were made for each other. I have a bucket of black sand somewhere that I had planned to use, but it was no where to be seen, so I decided to try out the white sand that had been recently removed from my son's Gecko tank (after a good rinse). I did a base of peat & a handful of the pre-soaked oak leaves, then covered it with the white sand. The plants are Anubias Nana Petite & Java fern with a little bit of Christmas moss. The lighting is an MR16 fixture with a 5 watt 6000K LED lamp. I'm hoping this will end up a low maintenance/low tech pico tank, but it may be a bit too much light. I've got another 3 watt LED I might use if needed. I'm thinking a few CRS would make a good addition for livestock and maybe a couple of male Endlers. Let me know what you think ...

-Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
looks good, maybe add some marsilea minuta for ground cover and some small stems for the back?

You'll need a filter, though for anything but a betta or a couple RCS

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you add the oak leaves in order to get some organic nutrients in the substrate?

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsandwitch View Post
looks good, maybe add some marsilea minuta for ground cover and some small stems for the back?

You'll need a filter, though for anything but a betta or a couple RCS
I like the idea of using marsilea minuta as a ground cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCat594 View Post
Did you add the oak leaves in order to get some organic nutrients in the substrate?
Yes, that & to kick start the biological process in the sand. The oak leaves had been soaking in a bucket of water for months and have their own little bio-eco system going and are culturing springtails for my dart frog viv.

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Slight re-scape today

Added 1 red cherry & 1 Green Caridina Shrimp. Just wanted to try them out to see how shrimp do in this tank, hopefully one or both will do well.

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .

Last edited by ALIFER; 08-16-2009 at 05:22 PM.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I really llike that litte stump. In the long run I think you will need a powerhead for some water movement though.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I really llike that litte stump. In the long run I think you will need a powerhead for some water movement though.

Craig
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the comments ... ... As soon as I saw the little stump laying on the ground I knew I had to start a project to highlight it.

I'm really considering a nano HOB filter or small canister filter, since I want to have a small number of both shrimp & fish.

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A little more re-scape & added frogsbit for a floating plant.
Frogsbit is also also supposed to suppress algae growth.

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What light is that? Looks nice

Eheim Pimp #430

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
What light is that? Looks nice
Thanks

The light fixture is a MR16 halogen fixture I pulled off an old display fountain, then I a wired on a 12 volt power supply.
And the bulb is one superbrightleds.com Seoul 5 Watt 6300K LED.
If you do a search for picture lighting some similar fixtures come up.

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .

Last edited by ALIFER; 08-20-2009 at 03:38 PM.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
very cool i was thinking of a cylinder shaped tank just the other day, you said you got it a marshals?, was is listed as a vase of some sort?
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
very cool i was thinking of a cylinder shaped tank just the other day, you said you got it a marshals?, was is listed as a vase of some sort?
The Marshals I was in had a whole isle of different sized glass vases &/or candle holders. The one I bought was their largest size of glass cylinder and it was only $9.95. Marshals is pretty hit or miss because they buy overstock items, but you can pickup good deals when you find something you like. I think craft stores or even the craft area at a wallymart might have something similar.

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I made up an Aqua Lift sponge filter for the tank so I could have more shrimp & maybe a couple of fish to make the tank more interesting.

Here is a link with more info & pics.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...ge-filter.html

-Rick

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated pic
I have been dosing 0.5 mL of Excel daily & 0.5 mL of Flourish micro trace supplement every other day

< . . .

. . .

< . . .

< . . .

< . . .

Last edited by ALIFER; 09-17-2009 at 04:32 AM.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
beautiful tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode