Idea for a JBJ Nano Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Idea for a JBJ Nano Cube

When I am done with my current project (a 29 gallon paludarium) I am then planning on getting a JBJ Nano Cube, either the 6 or 12 gallon size, haven't quite decided yet (will depend ultimately on the price difference between the two).

I was thinking of keeping it fairly simple. I liked the "10 Gallon Rimless Office Tank" that is posted in this forum, and I would like to make it look similar to that, but with some driftwood as well, not just rocks.

Here's what I was thinking so far.

Tank:
JBJ 6 gallon Nano Cube (or the 12 gallon if it's not too much more).

Landscape:
ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil
Sm Manzanita Branches (or central structure)
Ryuoh stone

Plants:
Blyxa japonica
Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)(potted)
(Any ideas for one other plant species, maybe something with some red?)

Extra Equipment:
DIY CO2 System w/ Glass Diffuser hidden in Nano Cube Back area.
Tetra 100w Compact Submersible Heater

As far as fertilizer goes, I already have Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron. Would those suffice, or should I go for some of the ADA stuff (I dont want to go too crazy with the ADA stuff as it gets damn pricey, lol).

As for fish, I'd like to include a couple of Chocolate Gouramis. I'd like to maybe set it up as an asian biotope (even though the hemianthus is of cuban origin) and just do some rasboras and small loaches. I dont like mixing asian and south American fish, but that's not to say I wouldnt throw some Ottos in there if I started to get some bad algea, lol.

Any other ideas on what could go with a couple of Chocolate Gouramis in either a 6 or 12 gallon tank? Would crystal red shrimp do okay if I had a couple rasboras/loaches as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
In my experience, Gouramis do not mix well with shrimp. I had a pair of croaking Gouramis that annihilated my red cherry shrimp. I think some loaches will also relish a shrimp dinner, but i'm not sure. If you want to try, i'd suggest getting a couple RCS to start with, much cheaper than CRS if your Gouramis decide to snack on them.

As for ferts, you don't need ADA. Some people use them with great results, but I personally don't think it's worth the cost. You will need some macro (nitrogen/potassium/phosphate) ferts, and you can pick them up cheap here. Grab the KNO3 and KH2PO4. These are sold dry, and a pound of each will last a very long time for a 6 or 12 gallon tank. read the fertilizing forum here for advice on how and when to dose them.

Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Indignation, thanks for the info.

Now for an update. I didn't even get the tank yet, but I was in a LFS and found some cool rocks. I think it's the same as the chinese zebra rock that ADA offers on their site.

Got 3 pretty nice pieces. Now if I can come accross a nice small piece of manzanita I'll be all set for when I order the nano cube .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0086.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	14807  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Go with the 12g NanoCube. It says on their site that they even have a freshwater version now, I'm assuming that just comes with 2 24w daylights as opposed to the 50/50 lights. I have a 12g and running the whole shebang I can grow pretty much anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I wound up getting a AGA 7 Gallon Mini-Bow yesterday at a yard sale for $3.00 so I couldn't pass that up (Although I would still like to do the Nano Cube eventually).

I also have a TOM Rapids Canister and a small heater, plus a glass CO2 diffuser and the Rocks pictured above and some Eco-Complete . I just need to find a nice small light with good output. Any recommendations for that?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode