My 10 gallon dirted tank need opinions and suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
My 10 gallon dirted tank need opinions and suggestions

Hello everyone this will be my first posted tank on this site. I currently have 5 fish tanks but this is my most recent project. This was a 10 gallon tank for plants I was selling but I have since decided to turn it into an actual fish tank. I have a gold honey gourami, three white clouds and a banjo catfish. Once the banjo catfish gets a little bigger he will be moved to my 75 gallon community tank. This tank was recently switched from a liquid fertilizer tank to a dirted tank. The liquid fertilizer tank also was just plants thrown in no scaping at all. This has a 20 gallon hang on back filter with the carbon removed from the filter and lucky bamboo put in for extra filtration. This tank also has a do it yourself co2 system at a rate of one bubble per 1 to 2 seconds. I was dosing flourish Excel and regular flourish along with API leaf zone but have since stopped after adding dirt. I will be watching to see if I need to begin dosing again.

Now on to some tank parameters. PH is 7, ammonia is zero, nitrites is 0, nitrate is zero, temperature is kept at a steady 76 degrees, and light cycle time is 10 hours from 10 AM to 8 pm. I run 2 23 watt CFL bulbs in standard clamp fixtures.

I will apologize first for the bad quality pictures. In the next few days I will take clear pictures. I broke my galaxy 4 and only have a Galaxy Tab to take pictures with now. Also I just recently dirted this thing so the water is cloudy. The second picture shows labels of the plant names and position. The Ludwigia, rotala and bacopa are short and unable to be seen. They are of course all behind the rocks. I'm unsure if I will be keeping the giant baby tears in the front. I also may not keep the java moss where it is. I am looking for a foreground plant to carpet the very front of the tank or I would like to try and possibly use java moss as a carpet. Has anyone tried that? I would like any feedback good or bad about this tank and what I could possibly do to make it look better.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong section. Could someone please move this to the tank journals section?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nice tank! Here's a few suggestions. Either change your bulbs to 13w or, add floaters covering the top. Also, add in more stems. If you don't have enough PM with what you have already and, I'll put you together a stem package.

Bump: Also, get a digital timer and break your photo period into two 5-on, 4-off, 5-on.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of floaters. I tried water spangles in my 75 gallon but the current pushed them under the water and they would get hung on things and just die. Any way to prevent this? I have access to Alot of duckweed if that would work. I also would like a canister style filter for this tank. any recommendations there? I will also look into the digital timer. Can I ask why split the light time?

Ps adding 5 stems of rotala, 10 stems bacopa, 3 stems myrio. I have 7 stems of ludwigia you can't see. That's all I have of it.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: restored

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a few updated pictures for this tank. Water has cleared a little and I have planted more rotala, myrio and bacopa. Some of the myrio is not in the best of conditions and will just need time to settle in and bounce back. I also moved some plants upwards so they could be seen. The ludwigia was bent over so I stood it up straight. I moved the reineckii forward a bit to make more room for bacopa and I think it looks a bit better being closer to the front. Puts alittle more focus on the reds of that plant. I took photos with my galaxy s1 phone this time and they look a little better than the ones from the galaxy tab 4. I will be going to get some duckweed today to help dampen the light as recommended.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: restored
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

here are some more update pictures. Trimmed bad leaves off some plants and trimmed and replanted some of the taller myrio. The myrio is looking better. Alot more green to it. All plants are looking better now. Giant baby tears look great and are pearling like crazy. I'm getting some good deep reds out of the reineckii. The rotala also seems to be pearling and getting nice pinkish red tops. Ludwigia has stood up more and top leaves are beginning to red more. The bacopa is also beginning to get its bright green look back. I kind of wish I could keep some of the darker color to the bacopa. I like the dark with spots of bright green. Water has cleared almost completely now. No signs of any algae yet so hoping it will stay that way.

I'm still looking for any recommendations on plants for the foreground. I want something that stays low or can be trimmed low. Something that can be kept in the 1-2" height range. I had thought about no plants up front and have white to whitish sand in front of the rocks. Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: restored
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another photo update. Everything is going great. Water is still a bit cloudy. Not sure why. No Signs of algae that I can tell. The baby tears are growing like crazy.trimming them today. Other than that there is nothing else really to say.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I bought a beautiful plant pack from hdbenson to add to some of my tanks that needed more plants. Thank you hdbenson, I absolutely love all the plants. A have added giant duckweed to the tank to cut back a bit on light. Hopefully they will fill in quickly. They collect mostly in the back left corner. Everything else seems to be doing well. The only thing I have noticed is my ludwigia has started to go pink at the top. It had been a decent red for the longest time. I am thinking about adding iron to see if that will redden them again but my issue is I don't anything that is only iron. I have flourish, leaf zone and root tabs. I'm thinking about going the root tab route seeing as it has 5% iron and the other 2 have less than .5%. I would like to get feedback on this. What would you do? Should I just go get some flourish iron?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looking good! Glad you like the plants! Looks like I got some Salvinia and Pistia in with the Spirodella! Hope you don't mind! I wouldn't worry about forcing the ludwigia to get more red - the closer to the light they get the redder they will get.

Bump: The cloudiness could be two things.. a bacterial bloom/die off or, the beginning of green water... just keep an eye on things.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nah I dont mind. The more cover plants the better. Is the pistia the really large floaters?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, they look kind of like green flowers.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Photo update

Few more photos. Realized my phone was making adjustments to the picture to make it look better. Tried messing with the settings as best I could to turn or tone down what adjustments were made. Still not prefect but they look closer to the actual colors I see.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: .
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is looking really good, I think this is one of the tanks that I saw last week which inspired me to get some Lindernia. It's coming in the mail next week thanks for the inspiration!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you very much daisy. I have never heard of lindernia before but after looking it up it would be nice. I like the flowers it puts off.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
One little tip i can give is to either push the big stones down so the bottom edge does not show or to cover the edge with the gravel. It tends to look more natural that way.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you jonas. I will bring fixing that but I've been waiting to do it until I can figure out what foreground plant I want to use. I want a unique plant but haven't really found any that tickle my fancy. I'm thinking I'll end up using dwarf baby tears.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode