First Nano Jar! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Nano Jar!

Hey guys,
Extremely new to planted tank, have only grown pond plants in an outdoor pond.
I have a small 1.8L (~0.5 gal) jar/vase that I'd like to put on my desk and grow something in. It's 18cm tall. I have a desk lamp which suits my decor, and bought a 6500k 3.5w LED (equiv. to 50w halogen) for it. The bulb box states "675 cd", not sure what this equates to and if it's useful. I have also purchased some ADA Amazonia to help with growth.

Any tips and suggestions in terms of lighting defficiencies and photo period will be helpful, I plan on putting some pygmy chain sword in there for a nice simple look.

Look forward to replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello!

I have a 15 cm cube vase, with a 1.5 watt LED "warm white" bulb at 3000K colour temp. The bulb is currently about 20 cm from the substrate, and I have Java moss, Java Fern, plus an unknown stem plant growing slowly.

When I had the photoperiod at 9 hours (divided into 3+break+6) it was growing some green algae. At seven hours (divided into 3+break+4), whatever algae grows is eaten by one bladder snail and four minute baby ramshorns. Fluval stratum substrate, nothing else.

You can probably extrapolate from that, hope it helps as a starting point at least.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Hello!

I have a 15 cm cube vase, with a 1.5 watt LED "warm white" bulb at 3000K colour temp. The bulb is currently about 20 cm from the substrate, and I have Java moss, Java Fern, plus an unknown stem plant growing slowly.

When I had the photoperiod at 9 hours (divided into 3+break+6) it was growing some green algae. At seven hours (divided into 3+break+4), whatever algae grows is eaten by one bladder snail and four minute baby ramshorns. Fluval stratum substrate, nothing else.

You can probably extrapolate from that, hope it helps as a starting point at least.
Any reason for choosing an LED at this temperature colour? I know the colour isn't that important, and what is important is the light wavelengths, but was I okay to choose 6500k and assume that it would contain both white and blue spectrums?

I have a test jar running right now with a single bladder snail in it ( I think), it's producing a lot of waste and I'm not sure I want this in a new clean jar. Any alternatives that are easily accessible?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

6500K preferred

I already had the lamp, and the bulb is not replaceable. If I had the option, 6500K would be preferred for plant growth.

What alternatives were you referring to in your question? Snail? Lighting?

Daisy Mae V
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
With LEDs it's difficult to say what the actual spectrum is without a datasheet, but there's nothing wrong with trying it and seeing whether it is suitable to your taste and the plant's needs. That said, it's likely that it will do fine; if it had a weird spectrum then they wouldn't be able to sell the bulb for household use.

If you have enough growth in the vase and it doesn't get too hot, you might be able to get away with an amano shrimp or a couple cherry shrimp in there to munch on algae. It's going to poop as well though, honestly. It's small, so water quality changes will be fast and unforgiving. You'd really want to get the plants going well before adding anything whose survival you care about.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I already had the lamp, and the bulb is not replaceable. If I had the option, 6500K would be preferred for plant growth.

Just spit balling. I can't get a hold of dwarf sag, so do you tihnk I'd do well with pygmy chain sword? And do LED bulbs with blue and white colour spectrums exist with a base of GU10/any base used with desktop lamps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
With LEDs it's difficult to say what the actual spectrum is without a datasheet, but there's nothing wrong with trying it and seeing whether it is suitable to your taste and the plant's needs. That said, it's likely that it will do fine; if it had a weird spectrum then they wouldn't be able to sell the bulb for household use.

If you have enough growth in the vase and it doesn't get too hot, you might be able to get away with an amano shrimp or a couple cherry shrimp in there to munch on algae. It's going to poop as well though, honestly. It's small, so water quality changes will be fast and unforgiving. You'd really want to get the plants going well before adding anything whose survival you care about.
Not sure about obtaining shrimp in Australia, but I'll look into what's available.
If the plants in my test jar are currently pearling (rotala sp. green and hygrophila polysperma), could this suggest that my lighting will be sufficient to grow pgymgy chain sword and other low-medium light plants?
I know that I'll be putting in the ADA AS with nothing else and then doing big water changes daily to get rid of the amonia spike, but what about after the first week when I add plants and everything begins settling? I assume I'll have to do a test on my tap water and see just what I'm putting in there, as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Just spit balling. I can't get a hold of dwarf sag, so do you tihnk I'd do well with pygmy chain sword? And do LED bulbs with blue and white colour spectrums exist with a base of GU10/any base used with desktop lamps?

Quote:

Not sure about obtaining shrimp in Australia, but I'll look into what's available.
If the plants in my test jar are currently pearling (rotala sp. green and hygrophila polysperma), could this suggest that my lighting will be sufficient to grow pgymgy chain sword and other low-medium light plants?
I know that I'll be putting in the ADA AS with nothing else and then doing big water changes daily to get rid of the amonia spike, but what about after the first week when I add plants and everything begins settling? I assume I'll have to do a test on my tap water and see just what I'm putting in there, as well.

Edit: It seems that I can easily get a hold of some ghost shrimp (Paratya australiensis). Would these be suitable? They look pretty cool!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuran View Post
Just did a Google search for "gu10 led daylight bulbs" and a bunch of options came up in the 6000K range.
I'm sorry but I can't answer your pygmy chain sword question since I don't have personal experience with this plant. But here is TPT link to some others' experiences:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...dorus_tenellus

Daisy Mae V
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just did a Google search for "gu10 led daylight bulbs" and a bunch of options came up in the 6000K range.
I'm sorry but I can't answer your pygmy chain sword question since I don't have personal experience with this plant. But here is TPT link to some others' experiences:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...dorus_tenellus
It's tough. There are plenty of daylight coloured bulbs out there, but none specifically with blue + white diodes. I'll just stick with the 6500k bulb I have I guess.

-

In terms of plants I'm thinking about going with hygrophila polysperma again. Anyone have any recommendations for a plant that looks good in a smallish jar?
I can easily choose from these two places:
http://www.z-aquatics.com.au/
http://www.liverpoolcreekaquariums.com/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am using several different style of LED bulbs 6500k light rating. They work great to grow plants. They worked better than the CFL bulbs I used to use. I shopped around and found the best deals and variety on DX.com. They list bulbs by base size. A quick search turned up these http://www.dx.com/s/6500k%2bled?category=1316. Shipping is slow but prices are great. It takes about 4 weeks for a package to make it to me. You should be able to find bulbs on Amazon or other such site.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuran View Post
JNot sure about obtaining shrimp in Australia, but I'll look into what's available.

[snip]

Edit: It seems that I can easily get a hold of some ghost shrimp (Paratya australiensis). Would these be suitable? They look pretty cool!
I've not kept that species, but the information I can find about them indicates that they would be appropriate for this setup. In particular they can inhabit temporary pools, so they're going to tend to be tolerant of things like temperature and water quality swings. They're also native, which is always good. They're significantly smaller and apparently less aggressive than the North American varieties (various Paleomonetes species) that you'll find lots of information about, so you'll want to stick with the species name if you're looking for care information.

I also found Shrimplovers Australia and Live Fish Australia, both of which sell some of the species that are common in the hobby in addition to your native ghost shrimp.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroseofky View Post
DX.com. They list bulbs by base size. A quick search turned up these http://www.dx.com/s/6500k%2bled?category=1316. Shipping is slow but prices are great. It takes about 4 weeks for a package to make it to me. You should be able to find bulbs on Amazon or other such site.
Bookmarked! Thanks for the link.
Edit: although I may not even need a GU10 bulb if I go through withe replacing this jar setup with a larger tank. :P About to start a new post...

Quote:
I've not kept that species, but the information I can find about them indicates that they would be appropriate for this setup. In particular they can inhabit temporary pools, so they're going to tend to be tolerant of things like temperature and water quality swings. They're also native, which is always good. They're significantly smaller and apparently less aggressive than the North American varieties (various Paleomonetes species) that you'll find lots of information about, so you'll want to stick with the species name if you're looking for care information.

I also found Shrimplovers Australia and Live Fish Australia, both of which sell some of the species that are common in the hobby in addition to your native ghost shrimp.
Okay cool, I might settle on them as my first shrimp inhabitants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode