Show off your planted cylinder! - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Show off your planted cylinder!

Hello all, I have browsed through pages and pages of this forum and found planted cylinders in various threads. Some really nice ones for sure!

Mostly, I am looking for inspiration and other people's experiences. Some of the tanks I have seen are from a few years back and it would be nice to see if any are still going, or whether these tanks have been done over.

So, please post if you have a cylinder with plants and water!
Dimensions, flora and fauna lists also requested.

Small or large, tall or short
Low tech or high tech
Sunlight or supplemented
Dirted or not
With or without fish
With or without inverts

Here's what I am wanting to plant up, calculated full volume is 8.8 litres/ 2.3 gallons (7" inner diameter by 14"). Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	505978
Cmeister and Cmeister like this.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
2g Anchor Hocking Cookie Jar roughly 10" tall by 9" wide (maybe slightly more)
Fissidens fontanus and Salvinia minima.
Low tech, dose Seachem Excel (0.5ml), flourish, pottasium, and phosphorus (all one drop) every over day (may change to once a week, except for the excel).
Some indirect sunlight through shade drawn window (nto enough to grow on its own) + a desk lamp with 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb light, on 7 hours a day.
Black diamond 'sand' substrate no soil, not applicable with these plants
1 male delta tail betta named Alastor (greek spirit of blood feud and revenge.. amusing he's the most non aggressive betta I own), some cherry shrimp and unwanted mini ramshorns snails..more than I'd care for..
I think I covered everything?

See first link in signature for journal on this tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, AquaAurora. I was hoping you would post one of your jars!

Anyone else? Would be nice to get a collection of photos here...

Daisy Mae V

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not really a cylinder but its basically the little plant bowl I use for left over plants also want to do the same thing with the cylinder next to it since it has a lid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4016.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	506418  

Name:	IMG_4017.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	506426  

Dou and Dou like this.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:18 AM
Planted Member

Smug, I almost picked up a very similar (if not the same) bowl as you the other day while I was out, to plant my trimmings in. I think I just might give it a try now, looks good!
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmpjx View Post
Smug, I almost picked up a very similar (if not the same) bowl as you the other day while I was out, to plant my trimmings in. I think I just might give it a try now, looks good!
do it! I got it from Michael's (arts and crafts store) and they always have like a 40-50% coupon.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Thanks, AquaAurora. I was hoping you would post one of your jars!

Anyone else? Would be nice to get a collection of photos here...
That one is the most cylindrical of them though I could slap up the bubble bowl and lantern vase too.. (vase if being a [censor] with crypt melt atm though =,= ugh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug vic View Post
Not really a cylinder but its basically the little plant bowl I use for left over plants also want to do the same thing with the cylinder next to it since it has a lid.
OOoo I forgot I had one of those bowls too!! But mine has lucky bamboo (Dracaena braunii) in it.

Quote:
do it! I got it from Michael's (arts and crafts store) and they always have like a 40-50% coupon.
I'm waiting for another one of those coupons to go back and buy another 2g or more 'tank', but this week is 20-25% off items (50% off framing currently), maybe next week..

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-13-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: ops
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmpjx View Post

Definitely will after I move! I'm not sure when it expires but I have a coupon for Michael's. I'm pretty sure I saw that bowl at the dollar store when I was out, if I can't find it there the it's good to know Michael's has them too.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

I work in a laboratory and found this old glass Pyrex cylinder which I cleaned up and set up as a 2 gallon planted tank with betta, now displayed in my cubicle.

[ATTACH]506602
[ATTACH]506610
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439649243857.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	506602  

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439649261480.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	506610  

ibebian and ibebian like this.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
awesome! i want to do this, you just fill the water to a little above the substrate? or is that an illusion?

My tank journal

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

It needs time to grow out. I used to have a thinner, tall cylinder set up for cherry shrimp, with wood and some small vals. The cylinder was actually one of those spaghetti cooker things from Pasta-Magic or some other "As seen on TV" outfit. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of it in use. The base wasn't very big and I thought for sure it would be knocked over at some point. It wasn't, but still...I was concerned enough to take it down.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragan View Post
awesome! i want to do this, you just fill the water to a little above the substrate? or is that an illusion?
Yeah I just filled it up pretty much to there, I mist it with water every couple days also threw a root tab in the middle.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Awesome! So the new additions are :

Shallow emersed bowl (smug vic)
Laboratory Pyrex cylinder (jarjarstinks)
Spaghetti cooker (RWaters)

Thanks guys, pretty imaginative containers, and keep them coming!

Daisy Mae V
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:33 AM

First planted tank. Depressed after had accident with 4 year old nano reef tank and lost it. Saw some planted aquascapes and thought it'd be fun.

2 gallon perhaps. Cylinder from IKEA. Saw a similar one on this forum and wanted to re-create one like it. Driftwood leaches quite a bit of tannins still (even after boiling). Couple of CRS, some hitchhiker red ramshorn snails, Java fern, anubias, and Monte carlo. Frogbit on top. 10% weekly water change. Some soil subtrate with sand over top. Use a clip on LED light (10 hours). Low tech. No CO2 and no ferts. 3 weeks old now. Still doing well, but slow growth obviously, but the Monte doing well so that is a good sign.

Sorry for cropped image. Don't know yet how to edit pic on this forum yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1440120388973.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	508609  

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok so not most recent shots (going through a crypt melt and grow back.. again (note to self don't add more crypts.. apparently everyone likes to melt together.. =.=)) but here are two other non flat glass tanks and the lucky bamboo bowl (not a real tank)

2g Lantern vase from Michel's roughly 10-11" tall and 8-9" at its widest point.. the curve of the glass makes this one a real dust magnet =.=
Crypt parva, Crypts wedtii green, Crypts wendtii red, Crypts undulata, Crypt balansae, Crypt retrospiralis, and Salvinia minima.
Pretty much no tech except for light..I don't dose anything in this tank.
A desk lamp with 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb light, on 7 hours a day.
Black diamond 'sand' cap over Miraclegro organic potting mix (wood chips sifted out)
1 male veiltail betta Sapphrion (mix of saffron and sapphire for his blue and red hue) no other residents atm but I need to add a ramshorn to clean diatoms soon.

2-3g(?) bubble bowl from Michel's roughly 9.5" high and 11" at widest point
Narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus), Micro sword (Lilaeopsis mauritiana), Mini micro sword (Lilaeopsis nova "mini"), and Salvinia minima.
Low tech, I dose 0.6 ml excel every other day
A desk lamp with 13 watt 6500k cfl bulb light, on 7 hours a day. (different light on the tank now with vertically oriented bulb, not horizontal like other 2 tanks-vertical ornamented increases par intensity)
Black diamond 'sand' cap over Miraclegro organic potting mix (wood chips sifted out)
1 male delta tail betta Magnus (due to fin damage and healing he looks more like a rose tail now), 1 or more blue ramshorn snails (until he eats them)

See first link in signature for journal on this tank.

1g(? ish) Shallow bowl about 4" high and between 8-9" at widest point
Dracaena braunii aka lucky bamboo
no lights, get very filtered sun from window
no ferts
no fuana

Incidentally all this tanks are in the same room. Lucky bamboo bowl was photographed from the couch.. from there the bubble bowl is just next to the couch on an end table on the left. Cookie jar is at a right diagonal, and lantern vase a left diagonal on right and left walls. There is also a 10g (standard flat glass sadly) tank o the book shelf just one shelf up from photo... yeh I have mts (multi tank syndrome)

I've been eyeing this but trying very hard to curb my spending.. did I mention I have mts? 10 tanks already.. don't need more...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NUPZT0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode