2.5 Gal tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gal tank questions

I have this tank that i want to turn into a planted aquarium for lighting i plan to use Current USA TrueLumen 12,000K Lunar White LEDs wondering if those would be good for a planted aquarium also what would you guys recommend for filtering i was looking at mini canister filters and modify it to fit the tank. also would i need anything else i have rocks for bedding should i change that out for something better??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	505594

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	505602

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	505610
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Height from top of substrate to the lights?
Do you mean gravel substrate or are you talking about adding more larger rocks to the tank? I'd advise against rocks (not gravel substrate but decor/hardscape rocks) in a betta tank especially as so any are rough and can rip betta fins. Plenty of betta owners keep bettas in gravel substrate tanks.

I have a lot of non standard tanks (cookie jar, bubble bowl, lantern vase) I sue small sponge filters like these:
http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Aquarium-Cylinder-Sponge-Filter/dp/B005LMQCW2/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1439320315&sr=8-1&keywords=jardin+mini+cylinder&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011 with tetra whisper airpump for up to 10g (smallest size).. I wrap the pump in a towel/rag/etc to muffle the vibration-they're on a wood floor.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77848-Whisper-Pump-40-Gallon/dp/B004PB8SMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439320390&sr=8-2&keywords=tetra+whisper+air+pumpcan also buy at local petstores
and airline tubing.. shot around I got 40" for $4 but can't recall where now..

I'd advise adding some tall plants so the betta can rest by the surface, its not much fun having to swim so high up to get a breath of air.

Also did you silicone seal the faucet/valve at the bottom of your 'tank' to ensure it won't leak in the future? I'd read from another forum member that had one of those (might have been a different brand) that spring a leak around its seal at the bottom and made a disaster.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Height from top of substrate to the lights?
Do you mean gravel substrate or are you talking about adding more larger rocks to the tank? I'd advise against rocks (not gravel substrate but decor/hardscape rocks) in a betta tank especially as so any are rough and can rip betta fins. Plenty of betta owners keep bettas in gravel substrate tanks.

I have a lot of non standard tanks (cookie jar, bubble bowl, lantern vase) I sue small sponge filters like these:
Amazon.com : Jardin Fish Aquarium Mini Cylinder Soft Sponge Water Filter, Black : Fish Tank Sponge Filter : Pet Supplies
with tetra whisper airpump for up to 10g (smallest size).. I wrap the pump in a towel/rag/etc to muffle the vibration-they're on a wood floor.
Amazon.com : Tetra 77848 Whisper Air Pump, up to 40-Gallon : Pet Supplies
can also buy at local petstores
and airline tubing.. shot around I got 40" for $4 but can't recall where now..

I'd advise adding some tall plants so the betta can rest by the surface, its not much fun having to swim so high up to get a breath of air.

Also did you silicone seal the faucet/valve at the bottom of your 'tank' to ensure it won't leak in the future? I'd read from another forum member that had one of those (might have been a different brand) that spring a leak around its seal at the bottom and made a disaster.
no kinda bought the fish on a spur of the moment deal lol bad idea i know but yea its gravel i believe and distance i couldnt tell you at the moment but would say about 12-15 inches and yes i want to do a carpeting plant below and some tall plants only plant i remember at the moment are jave fern and anubias coffefolia but not quite sure which plants to get.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode