7 gallon planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
7 gallon planted

I'm planning on starting a new aquarium for my dorm on University and, after changing over 5 times the plan, I think I have already figured out how I want it to be
This is my first planted tank (as in plants having a bit more protagonism rather than being some floating stuff for fry to hide ) so any comment or help is welcome

This is the set up:
TANK: 18" * 9" * 11.4" cristal tank with a cristal lid
LIGHT: Blau Mini Pl 18w
SUBSTRATE: Topsoil mixed with a bit of clay (1" deep) and capped with JBL Manado (1" deep)
CO2: Easy Carbo 1mL/daily
FERTS: EI dosing (because the only plant taking nutrients from the water column is a java fern I'm wondering whether I should use less of the recommended dose and only twice a week)
FLORA: E. Belem (aka Eleocharis Mini) carpet with Java fern on driftwood
FAUNA: Halfmoon Betta, Zebra snail and (maybe) a couple cherry shrimps

I was planning on doing a 5 days DSM to get the roots of the E. mini settled before I flood the tank as they come from an emersed source so that they have a better chance of transitioning without major problems.

My questions right now are:
- Is EI dosing excessive? Will this bring an algae bloom?
- I thought about putting a willow branch in the tank in the case of any algae bloom after flooding as the soil will release a lot of nutrients. But, is there any way I can prevent so many nutrients going into the water column
- Is 5 days enough to get the roots a bit settled before the flood? I don't want it to carpet in so short obviously (I know that takes about two months of DSM) but I do want to prevent as many floaters as possible
- The tank was to be put next to a window with indirect light (but quite a lot). Is that too much light considering I'm only using liquid CO2?

If you can see any loopholes on my plans, please feel free to give advice and save me from turning my aquarium into a cute little pea soup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Algae Grower

Whenever I start with a plan it always ends up going in some other direction . As far as the substrate is concerned, since you're going with carpet plants instead of big root feeders, you might want to reduce the amount of both soil and cap that you're using. I would use 3/4 inches of dirt and 1/2 inches of cap.

Is "Easy Carbo" a glutaraldehyde solution like excel? If I were you, I'd just buy a gallon of metricide 14 instead. It's much cheaper in the long run. I've gotten away with dosing up to 3 ml a day on my 7.5 gallon.

As far as EI dosing goes, I'd say it's unnecessary- especially with the dirt. You might want to just buy a bottle of flourish comprehensive and use it when you notice a deficiency.

I wouldn't flood the tank until the E. Belem starts spreading a bit. It'll probably carpet faster for you if it's growing emersed. But that's just me, and I'm impatient.

I wouldn't worry about "nutrients going into the water column." Mineralizing your soil might help, but I've never bothered doing it, so I can't say anything from experience. If you start getting algae problems, just dose more glutaraldehyde and buy some otos. It'll go away eventually.

7.5 gallon-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jacob! Thanks for answering
So little substrate? Will that be enough for the eleocharis to root?
Yeah, Easy Carbo is pretty much like Flourish Excel, it just has a different name I already have the bottle but it will probably last me for ages. It's a 500ml bottle and I have to dose 0.5ml a day (I wrote it wrong on the intro)
I'm planning on giving the eleocharis about two weeks before flooding as I have to move with the aquarium on the 30th August and would rather not have to empty the whole thing I thing that by then it will have spread quite a bit as I'm also starting with a lot of plants (the shop had a sale so I bought about 4 pots).
Thanks a lot for all your advice

Tags
eleocharis belem, nano tank, new aquarium, planted aquarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode