Disco's 2.5 Planted Pico Jungle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Disco's 2.5 Planted Pico Jungle

Hello, I'm Disco and I'm new to the board although not new to aquariums, planted or otherwise. I keep both freshwater and saltwater, and because I'll be going to school in the fall, and can't take my big tanks with me, I'm taking two picos: my planted one, which this thread will be about, and my mini coral reef one. Both will be packed out and moved on September 6th.

So for starters, I'm using a 2.5 AGA tank with the glass lid. On top of the lid I use an aqualight mini PC fixture, that's 9w actinic (not needed for plants I know) and 9w 10,000k daylight, for a heater I use a hydor mini mat heater. Works like a charm.
For filtration I have a Red Sea mini HOB filter, which I extended the intake pipe on to the base of the tank, and put a plastic cage on it. I run carbon and filter floss at the moment, although I will be adding peat media soon because my pH is a tad on the high side (7.7ish).
I have plain sand, don't remember completely what it is, but I believe it was just dry sand that you'd get at a fish store.

For fish, I've got one male betta, though I'm not sure what kind he is. When I bought him, he was marked as female. He had only a few scales on his body, so he looked white, and his fins were nearly completely gone. Since I got him, he has filled out completey to being a gorgeous teal blue with white tipped pectoral fins. I've also got a bumble bee goby, that was fully acclimated to freshwater when I got it. He is doing fairly well, I've had him for around a year. He's not a huge fan of the food I've been feeding so I'm going to try him on some frozen food, he's getting a bit skinny.
I've got two galaxy rasboras and a handful of wild feeder guppies, cone shaped snails and more round shaped snails , and an ammano shrimp.
This sounds crowded, but if you see it you'll notice it really is not. With the heavy number of plants and my maintenance on the tank, I'm not concerned for these fish.

For plants, I have java fern and java moss, rotala indica, red sword plant, anubias nana and maybe coffefolia (?), mondo grass and a pink dwarf lily bulb. I also have, in my 26 gallon planted tank, a number of random bulbs which I am trying to propogate then transplant to the 2.5.

I am not running C02 on this tank, for fear of making my fish sick. I don't have the cash at the moment to spring for a fancy system and my nutrafin C02 system is unstable at best. I dose blackwater extract and flourish excel semi regularly.

Temp stays around 78.

In these pictures, I had just been playing with the aquascape and had fed, so everyone is a little riled up.

Here's the full tank:
[img=http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8378/gedc1406.jpg]

This is the java moss cave where the shrimp lives:
[img=http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5458/gedc1421.jpg]

Here are some guppies and the galaxies:
[img=http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/7734/gedc1387.jpg]

And here is the bumble bee goby, he likes to roam around and perch on stuff:
[img=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1365/gedc1388.jpg]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 AM

Nice little tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Planted Member

Mondo Grass is not a true aquatic plant.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my..._japonica.html

Oscar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Male Guppies, Dwarf Shrimp, Ramshorn snails. (since Mar 07)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in storage (Oct 06 - Jul 09)

QT (since Jan 09)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to coralife205
i like that round piece of wood.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar17 View Post
Mondo Grass is not a true aquatic plant.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my..._japonica.html

That's what I thought! But I looked it up and it seemed like it was.
I'm taking it out. Thanks!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

So I took out the mondo grass, and moved it to my paludarium.

I also took a good look at my bumble bee goby, and he looks very, very skinny. I know they are said to eat only live foods, but he lived in my LFS's tank for a very long time before I got him.
I kept him in my 26 gallon planted tank (4 years old) and he was fine, but on the thin side.
My best guess is that there isn't enough live food in that tank for him to scrounge up, whereas in the 26 he did. He will eat flake food that floats by him, then spit it out cause it tastes bad.
I'm brewing up some frozen food for him and I'm going to try to entice him.
I know that one the snail and guppy baby population kicks off in that tank (and I plan on letting it) he will be fine because he will eat them. I would like to fatten him up before I take the tank to school.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Eugh...
I found ich in the tank today. Only two spots, and only on one, already sickly looking, female wild feeder guppy.
I medicated with maracide.
Hoping it will go away.

In other words, I got my bumble bee goby to nibble at some frozen mysis shrimps.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your tank/fish looks great!!

I have a 5.5 w/ "Feeder" Guppies [but they have forgotten that stage of their lives and are now demanding FOOD of their own. ] and now you've got me thinking a few Galaxy Rasboras never hurt anyone.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
Cute tank; I especially love the moss cave. I can see why the amano shrimp hangs out there!

The betta looks like he may be a delta tail. What a gorgeous boy.

Feeder guppies can make great nano inhabitants. My last nano, which sadly had to be taken apart for a cross-country move, had three male feeder guppies as residents (Chester, Lester, and Prester). They developed beautiful colors and were always very active. For 15 cents each, it was totally worth it.

Good luck with the ich! Since you caught it early, you may be in good shape.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, got some sad news. The betta didn't enjoy the maracide treatment and passed on. I found him still, should have isolated him sooner. I felt a certain attatchment to him, as I got him from PetCo and he was a nearly scaleless, horrible looking dude, labeled as female because that's just how bad his fins were rotted off. RIP.
The "ich guppy" was removed.

Right now, the bumble bee goby isn't looking too hot. Seems to be getting very skinny.
I'm going to do more frozen food for the tank, not any flakes, and do more frequent water changes on it, until he fattens up.

In better news, the remaining feeder guppies are perking up, eating well, and re-growing damaged fins.
My dwarf lily is sprouting and doing well.
I got Flourish Excel and dosed it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Took out the bumble bee goby tonight, he was in sad shape. I put him in my 26 gallon tank, where he was before, and we'll see how that turns out.

Now it's just feeder guppies and one or two yellow fancy guppy females, some ramshorn snails and conical snails and the plants.

My pink dwarf lily is doing very well, growing tons and tons.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode