5.5g Work in progress - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5g Work in progress

Hey guys, I've been a long time reader but an infrequent poster, I decided to start documenting my 5.5g. I've had super low tech tanks with plants in them before, but this is really my first "real" planted tank.

The stats:
Tank: 5.5g Aqueon standard

Lighting: 2x9w CF Coralife 6700k fixture, 13w 6700k CF desk lamp (31 watts total or 5.6 wpg) Lights stay on about 8-10 hours a day.

Filtration: Elite Mini underwater filter. Says its rated for 3 gallons, but when its fully cranked up its way too much flow for this tank.

Substrate: Regular old Lowes play sand, taken from my 55g.

Hardscape: 2 dark river rocks taken from a river about 400ft from the actual tank.

Flora: Wisteria, glosso, a small amazon sword (once its too big I'll hopefully have lighting upgrades on the bigger tanks), pygmy chain sword (narrow), and rotala indica.

Fauna: 4 corydoras pygmaeus, 2 otocinclus (1m,1f), 2 guppy fry, 3-4 RCS (2 berried).

Ferts Dosing Fe and K with water changes (15% every 3-4 days), Excel every other day. No plans for co2.

Tank was set up approximately 3-4 weeks ago as a fry tank, then I just started finding excuses to buy plants and supplies, and here I am. The tank's currently getting over a green water bloom that I suspect was due to fert OD, so I cut back and with water changes and turning the filter flow up, its slowly going away. The glosso I bought was in a low light tank at the lfs and was growing tall, so I just kinda snipped the roots and popped it all in, its still a little yellow and rough but I can definately see new green growth.

Please excuse the photos, I'm a pretty good photographer, but definately no expert on aquarium photography, and my cloudy water didn't help .

I'll be updating you guys as things progress and grow in . Any suggestions or critiques are more than welcome, I've still got plenty to learn about the planted side of the hobby.

Last edited by randomrambler; 07-25-2009 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Jeeze, forgot what kind of cory I had lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks good to me!

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome set-up! Is there just such thing as a dwarf amazon sword? If so, you could get that for this tank, so you don't have to get rid of the other one, well you still will have to get rid of the other one, but if you get a dwarf one(if they do in fact exist) you won't have to get rid of it haha

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! To my knowledge, I can't think of any "mini" amazon swords, but once it grows too large it'll probably be replaced by an anubias nana "petite" or a java fern.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, the tank cracked last night. I was replanting some glosso that came up and lost my balance and the side cracked all the way down, luckily I pushed the crack to a point that it held water long enough for me to pull out a 5g bucket, catch all the inhabitants and pull up plants, and stick it all in the bucket with the filter.

I'll be going out to replace it tonight, most likely with a 10 gallon (only 4x2" bigger footprint and I believe its actually cheaper than the 5.5). Since I'll be using all established sand and water from my other tanks, and the cycled filter is still in the original tank water, it should be an instant cycle. It's probably actually going to be a positive thing that happened, because now I have an excuse for a slightly larger tank that I can do more with, and the parameters aren't as hard to control as the 5.5g. However, this means my wpg will go from 5.6 wpg to 3.1 wpg, but that's still a pretty decent amount of light for a tank only a few inches longer each way than the original tank.

Wish me luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

goodluck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Sorry to hear it broke, good luck with the ten!

I have a red mellon sword in my 2.5, and it seems to be doing well.
If it gets too big you can always move it or trim it back!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode