5.5g...new to planted tank (Super green water, need help!!!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
5.5g...new to planted tank (Super green water, need help!!!)

I've got a green water emergency! Picture...

Hi!

I just started a 5.5g nano planted tank today. It is intended for my male CT Betta once it is established. I also got this little tank because I couldn't resist trying to grow a nice HC carpet!

It's very primitive at the moment. My current set up is...

5.5g glass tank
  • Filter: Tetra internal (temporary, I took it out of my Betta tank, hoping it can help introducing some "organic compound" to aid my plant before fish is introduced.)
  • Lighting: PC 2x18watt with one 10000k lamp and one pink lamp.
  • Substrate: One layer of Aquatic Planting Media (by PondCare), topping off with one layer of Tahitan Moon Sand/Aquatic Planting Media mixture.
  • Ferts: Jungle plant food tabs and Tetra FloraPride
  • CO2: Flourish Excel, thinking of adding DIY CO2

I am quite clueless as to what I am doing so far. I believe that my lighting is on the high side, which means Excel might not be sufficient as carbon source? Should I be dosing nitrate and phosphate, or can I just use fish food?

Here are a few pictures of the HC. I am going to add a background soon. I have not decided what other plants I want to have in this little tank...what do you guys think?

Everyone on this forum seems to have such remarkable planted tank!!

Thank you for your input in advance.

Last edited by angc84; 08-19-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Welcome to the world of planted Nano's! Cool tank too, I have a 5.5 at home that I'm growing HC emmersed in. I hope you'll find it as fun as I have.

Quick comment on the CO2. Pressurized is more expensive than DIY, but look into paintball cylinder systems. Red Sea makes a great starter kit. Only thing missing is the solenoid, which you can get at pretty much any of the online aquarium stores. A little 20 oz paintball cylinder will last you months on end of worry free and consistent CO2 delivery. At the light level you're at, you'll definitely need CO2 over Excel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I was thinking of growing the HC emmersed so I wouldn't have to worry about the CO2...yet. But my urge to fill up it up with water took me over! Sooo...a CO2 is a must. xD I learned of the paintball cylinder method from a LFS guy. I was going to give it a shot this coming weekend. In the mean while, I think I will use the good old sugar and yeast trick...I have no fish in it yet so I don't need to worry about pH swing.

Do you have any suggestion as to what other plants I should put in? I am excited to do a high light/CO2 setup!

Thank you again!

EDIT: Also, should I dose CO2 and Excel at the same time!?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

7/23/2009 Update

I've added:

Black background
Driftwood
DIY CO2

New plants:
Amazon Sword
Red Ludwigia
Rotala Indica
Banana plant (for fun!)
Small piece of bronze Wendtii (experimental)
Unknown plant

Here is an updated picture! My HC still hasn't carpeted but it's only been two days...

Also, will anybody please ID this plant for me? The one behind the wood? It is labeled as Crypt Lucena at the LFS...but I cannot find anything about it online.

Thank you!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks like water wisteria to me

they are easy to grow and will grow fast
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah..if that's what it is, then it might be too large for my nano. =(
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah definitely wisteria, very pretty plants super bright green. I love the shape of their leaves.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted about this tank...I've been struggling with it.

In the last month and a half, I've gone through a diatom period, a BBA period, a SERIOUS cyanobacteria period (from accidentally leaving the lighting timer on "on"...), and now green water!!!

My tank is in my office, so I never noticed that the light was on 24/7 for a week...the cyanobacteria were out of control! After I correct the timer issue, I decided to add DIY CO2 and went away for a weekend. I came back to work on Monday and found a tank full of bright green water!!

I dose ~5-10ppm of nitrate and ~.5-1ppm of phosphate everyday, and I'd come back the next day with nitrate/phosphate readings at zero. I suppose my plants were using nutrients very quickly. I thought green water was caused by too much nitrate? Why would I have this outbreak given that my nitrate is constantly sitting at zero? Is it because of the unstable levels of nutrients? Should I just wait it out?

I've also read conflicting advices on water change or not. Should I do any WC?

I only have a few RCSs and pond snails in the tank.

pH 7.4
Temp 74

Thank you for your input in advance. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode