Monark's first ADA MINI-M (New pics 08/04/10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Monark's first ADA MINI-M (New pics 08/04/10)

This is my first planted tank as I posted before in other thread I used to have a saltwater tank and a freshwater tank (only fish) but due to lag of information and care I didn't have any success with them so I decided to give one more try and I went with a planted tank but this time I'll try to get more help...

Set up:

Tank:
ADA MINI M tank

Substrate:
ADA Amazonia Aquasoil II

Lightning:
27 watt Hamptom Bay Desk lamp

Filtration:
Eheim 2213
DoAqua Mini Violet glass pipes

CO2:
GLA Smith regulator
5lb CO2 cylinder
DoAqua Music counter
DoAqua Music deffuser
ADA drop checker

Ferts:
Will get the Green Fertilizer Package: Micros & Macros from GLA soon!!!

Flora:
Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae)
HC (Hemianthus micranthemoides)
Riccia Fluitans

Fauna:

10 Neon Tetras
4 RCS (Plant to get 3 more)

Some pics:

A week ago:

Now (07/13/2009)

Last edited by MONARK; 08-05-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question????

The water is forming a white film on the surface is this normal???
Do I have to do something to get rid of it??
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
It's a normal thing. You should be able to lift your filter's outflow pipe just a tad more than what I see in the pictures to generate a slight surface agitation. Nothing that will break the surface, just enough to get the water on top moving. That took care of it for me.

But again, don't panic, it's normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll try that...

Thanks
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

More questions...

I've been looking at some of the set ups and I found that some people put their filter pipes in different positions and I would like to know if it makes a difference where you put them, also I am getting like a green algae on the glass tank behind and bellow the filter pipes and I think it might be lack of water movement (I think).... anyway, which of these would be the best place to set up the filter pipes???... Which of these places do you think you could get the better water movement?????:

MY CURRENT SET UP:

MIDDLE OF TANK SET UP:

BACK OF TANK SET UP:

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
It depends on how much plants you have and where most of the algae is building up. For your size tank you should be fine with a 2213 filter and it should be more than enough flow no matter where you place the pipes.

I don't think it's lack of water movement that your getting algae on the glass. Tank is probably not fully established/cycled or light my be causing it. Cut back on light and fert or just get some algae eating fish and shrimp that should take care of the algae. I normally just manual scrub them off at every water change.

tank is looking good.

Eheim 2217 #346

post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the answer but now that I'm looking at the tank, I see that the intake pipe is just right above where I planted the Dwarf Hairgrass, Don't you think the plant will get sucked up by the pipe went it grows more????, Will it obstruct the water inflow??? Should I move the pipes (inflow, outflow) to the middle of the tank right in front of the Hairgrass and above the HC????
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could pretty easily trim the hairgrass to keep it out of the intake if you like the position it's in now. It might also serve to hide the intake pretty nicely once it's grown in more. As long as the outflow is creating a nice current that reaches all the little hiddens spots of the tank, you should be good. The outflow is what's going to create your current.

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank looks good. Nice growth on the riccia...

Are you planning to put in some background plants? Some vals (corkscrew, maybe) would look nice and add some more vertical interest besides the rock.

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Tank looks good. Nice growth on the riccia...

Are you planning to put in some background plants? Some vals (corkscrew, maybe) would look nice and add some more vertical interest besides the rock.

Thanks, the Riccia has growth like about .75" in a week...

For the background I planted dwarf hair grass and I plan to let it grow tall so it can come out behind the rock.

Outlawboss

Do you know or does anyone know where can I find those 10k Archaea 27 watt lights?

I would like to change the Hampton Bay lights but I been looking for the Archaea light and I can't find them.
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
Archea lights are sold by aquaforest aquarium in San Francisco...

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...ge=afa_product

You have to call them to order.. it is not sold on their web-site... you can also e-mail them..

It is a re-branded light that they only sell..

Good luck..
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, spikeit is right. I happened to be lucky and found my light on the Swap & Shop here, but, I would have happily paid AFA to get one. They charge $60 + shipping for them BTW.

In fact, I will probably end up getting another for my 5.5 gallon. Highly recommend them.

post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONARK View Post
Thanks for the answer but now that I'm looking at the tank, I see that the intake pipe is just right above where I planted the Dwarf Hairgrass, Don't you think the plant will get sucked up by the pipe went it grows more????, Will it obstruct the water inflow??? Should I move the pipes (inflow, outflow) to the middle of the tank right in front of the Hairgrass and above the HC????

Do what you gotta do. Whatever works.

i lifted my inflow pipe all the way up to avoid sucking in new born shrimps it works.

Eheim 2217 #346

post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

JUMPERS!!!!

When I first got the fish I also added 4 RCS but one of them jumped out of the tank...
Last Friday I bought 4 ottos and 3 more RCS to help clean the algae on the tank; on Saturday morning I found a RCS on the floor, Sunday morning another RCS on the floor and today my wife found an Otto on the floor...

Is there any reason why they are jumping out of the tank?????
Should I wait 'til the plants grow more to add more shrimp???

Maybe the tank is too crowded or not too much food for all of 'em...
Need help.

Thanks
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They probably got shocked from water and jumped out. Did you put them in right? just dump out some water, leave like 1inch so they don't jump out. Wait like two or three weeks or until they're settled in then top off your tank.

I've lost 2 ottos, 2 CRS, 1 RCS and found a live amano shrimp crawling around next to my bed.

They also can crawl from the co2 tube, doubt from the glass pipes but that's rare.

Eheim 2217 #346

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode