How to tear down/sterilize Mini M and canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
How to tear down/sterilize Mini M and canister filter?

What is the best way to completely tear down a tank and canister filter?

I have a Mini M tank where I have lost the war against algae . No matter what I do (completely scrape the glass, dose Excel and CO2, etc) the algae always reappears on the glass after a few days.

I want to start over clean so this means completely sterilizing the tank and canister filter so I don't re-contaminate it. Can I put a bleach solution in the tank and run it through my filter? If so, what is the ratio of bleach to water? Will this damage the silicone or anything else in my tank? How long should I run it for? Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I feel ya. My large tank has a good section smothered in the Clado monster. I'm not sure a manual removal and light adjustment will work at this stage... I might need to resort to your desired approach :/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Can I ask how long has this been going on? A month or two? I have algea blooms last 2-3 months and it does go away. I'm thinking you just need to get the tank settled or balance. But then again I am only assuming. If you feel the need to tare it down and start over do so. As for bleach and such I don't think it is necessary. It you are going to start over. Start from scratch as you might just be carrying over the same problem to you began with that brought you to the point of taring it down.

The Pimp-em Club
Straight pimpin' since 2009
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
This has been going on for well over a year so it is not something temporary. I think the algae is deep down in my substrate or in the canister filter, so it will always keep coming back, which is why I'm asking the best methods of completely starting over and if it is safe to use bleach in the tank.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Algae will not/can not grow unless conditions are optimal .... it has to out-compete the plants for the available nutrients. You have an imbalance
in your tank.

But since you seem determined to restart the tank rather than correct your current issues....

You can indeed use bleach to clean/sterilize your tank, filter, ect... just rinse
thoroughly and use a dechlorinator (prime-stress coat-ect) before
returning the equipment to service.

HTH

Larry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode