Spec aquascape advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec aquascape advice

I had s. repens go insane on me and start creeping in on the HC carpet in the front (thus the large gap with nothing). When I pulled it all out the roots were huge. I will let the HC crawl and fill the foreground up again.

I have relegated the s. repens to behind the black rock. Hopefully this will block the roots.

I was thinking of putting something else in front of the bottom of the red plant to hide the inevitable poor looking bottom and giving the HC something grow up against. Any suggestions? I'm horrible at this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Crypt Petchii gets about 4" tall and has leaves more like a Wendtii than a Parva.
But it is fairly thin around the bottom till it's over a year old. Depends on your light also.
It would also be a third color in there.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Crypt Petchii gets about 4" tall and has leaves more like a Wendtii than a Parva.
But it is fairly thin around the bottom till it's over a year old. Depends on your light also.
It would also be a third color in there.
I was thinking more hardscape. Would another black rock look silly? Wood? S. Repens would be perfect but it is so aggressive that I would be in the same boat in two months.

My light is strong enough for a great HC carpet (don't judge by the picture, that is after a nuclear bomb level rescape) but not strong enough to have nice lower leaves on a rotala macrandra. The top half would look great and the bottom melt. So I am assuming the same will happen with this new plant I bought.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreyFan View Post
I was thinking more hardscape. Would another black rock look silly? Wood? S. Repens would be perfect but it is so aggressive that I would be in the same boat in two months.

My light is strong enough for a great HC carpet (don't judge by the picture, that is after a nuclear bomb level rescape) but not strong enough to have nice lower leaves on a rotala macrandra. The top half would look great and the bottom melt. So I am assuming the same will happen with this new plant I bought.
A couple smaller pieces of the same type rock? And maybe you can tilt the existing rock so it looks a little higher behind the ?alternanthera.
Or nudge the tip of it on the right a bit closer to the front? Maybe if the tip meets the start of your HC carpet on the right most edge it will look a little less bare.
Good luck with the tweaks!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
A couple smaller pieces of the same type rock? And maybe you can tilt the existing rock so it looks a little higher behind the ?alternanthera.
Or nudge the tip of it on the right a bit closer to the front? Maybe if the tip meets the start of your HC carpet on the right most edge it will look a little less bare.
Good luck with the tweaks!
The rock goes all the way to the bottom to try and prevent the s. repens from spreading it's roots all over the aquarium again.

The carpet will fill in fast enough for me, the next water change I will spread it out and replant most of it.

Looking to the future I see a full carpet that slowly fades to a bottom melted plant on the back left though. I would like a hard transition that also hides that.

Like I said though I am terrible at this and you can likely tell from my inability to even explain what I am looking for.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode