nano lighting question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
nano lighting question

Thinking about starting my own nano tank. The size of the tank is going to be dependent on which will work with my lighting. I have an old 18w light strip from my 20g high. Can I get by without a CO2 system/no ferts? I'm considering dosing flourish but I'm on a tight budget.

As for fish, I'm definitely going to go for otos. Possibly a betta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
From a 20G High, your light fixture will fit on a 15g. That would give you 1.2wpg but the spectrum on that bulb is going to be something like 3200k. You could likely get away with a decent low-tech tank, and I actually had success growing some other plants like Rotala's and such in that same setup. In that situation ferts won't be necessary, and neither will Co2 but the addition of either of them down the line won't really hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I can still use something lower than a 15G correct? I was thinking making a stand for the light to be a little farther away from my tank. So its not just hanging over the side.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I suppose you could, but the intensity of those strip lights is fairly low do raising it any above the tank is going to make your "low light" even lower. That being said, yes you can do it but it definitely limits the kinds of things you can grow well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I would suggest getting rid of the strip light, going to Home Depot and getting a Hampton Bay 27W desk lamp, putting it over something like a 5.5g tank and running DIY Co2 on it. That'll give you a good choice of plants to grow and with Oto's they should take care of the GSA you'd get.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode