I guess I'm gonna get back into it! =] Questions about a 2.5 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I guess I'm gonna get back into it! =] Questions about a 2.5 gallon

Well since my puffer died, I'm thinking that I'm going to turn his tank into a planted tank. It did have plastic plants, but upon rediscovering this forum I have caught the planted tank fever again! I had a planted ten gallon last year but was forced to take it down and give my fish to the LFS because I got so behind on it when school started. Then I got this 2.5 gallon and told myself just plastic plants and a puffer, but here I am. I can't stay away! Hopefully since its smaller it'll be easier to keep up with. Plus this time I know what I'm in for!

Okay so here are my questions, my memory is rusty since I've been out of the hobby for a long time, and its not like I was that knowledgeable when I was in it. =P

1)What kind of lighting would you recommend for a 2.5 gallon? I want to use a desk light, but I don't know what kind of CFL to use. What wattage and how many lumens does it need to put out?

2)Part of my downfall last time was what I think was hair algae. It attacked EVERYTHING. I took my beautiful tank and suffocated it. I'm terrified of algae outbreaks now. How do I ensure that this doesn't happen again? (I was neglecting the tank too, so I'm sure that played a key role in this outbreak) If it does, how do I get rid of it? (Are you beginning to see the immense depth of my knowledge? hahaha)

3)I'm a little confused on how to regulate home made CO2 and how to know how much to use. I know it has something to do with how much light you have but I'm just not clear on it. People told me to use a bottle of yeast, sugar, and an air stone, and I saw people doing that who had beautiful tanks so I know it must work well.

Thanks in advance for all your answers!! =] I'm going to petsmart and walmart tomorrow (So I hope someone responds in time) to get all my stuff, and I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome back.
If you go slow and start easy, you'll stay in the game longer and eventually get better than you ever would have had you rushed into it and got frustrated and quit.
So:
Do one DIY with thirteen watts. If it's a spiral-type, use eighteen watts. Try to find a regular thirteen watt CF, though. Much better spread and no wasted light. (If you can find an OttLite task lamp, get that. It's perfect for a two point fiver.)
CO2 does not need to be regulated when you're doing the sugar and yeast method. Just get a good diffuser -- glass, airstone, or even chopstick -- and you're good to go.
Get a good filter. The ZooMeds are great. If money's tight, the Red Sea Nano filter will fit the bill, too.

That's how I'd do it, at least.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright thanks!!
I'm off to the mall in an hour.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay I got my filter and my light. Now I need to get my plants, any suggestions?

I also got two cory cats. I just love those little fishies, so cute.

Anyways, I worked on my hardscape today. I don't think I like it very much. I don't know. What do you guys think? What could I do to make it better? Maybe it just looks funny to me because I haven't worked plants into the equation yet?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I think some anubias petite would look awesome in there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode