5g bowfront: Finding a way to avoid melting HC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5g bowfront: Finding a way to avoid melting HC

This is my first try on a planted tank.
Any suggestions/comments are very welcome and appreciated.

Tank size: 5 gallons
Substrate: 2kg of GEX shrimp and plants
Filter: Started with a 3w HOB filter, but replaced it with a Resun Cyclone 20 canister filter. It is rated at 200l/hour
CO2: DIY with diffuser
Fertilizer: Mr. Aqua LiquidFertilizer+ Mineral Substances
Light: 3pcs 14w T5 bulbs

June 27

Put substrate and water in the tank. HOB filter.

Here is the substrate I use. People tell me this is great stuff.

This is what my lighting system looks like. It used to be from the 20 gallon tank I had, and it's a little too big for my tank.

Here is where it is placed, beside my PC. As you can see, the lights look terrible. I'm still waiting for my Mr. Aqua clip-on light to arrive (27 watts only, but will look better aesthetically).

June 29

I added Anubias Golden, some moss, 2 unknown floating plants which my LFS gave for free, and a few lava rocks.

There are no inhabitants in the tank. The little danio was from the bigger tank. Just placed him there for a photo op.

Last edited by jourdy; 07-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

July 1

Lots of changes and additions.
Replaced the HOB filter with Resun Cyclone 20 canister filter. It is rated at 200 liters / hour, do you guys think this is overboard?
Added DIY CO2 and diffuser.
Added Myriophyllum, Bacopa, HC, HM, Alternanthera
Added 5 cherry shrimps

This is the diffuser and the unknown floating plant

Overhead picture of the tank

Front view

Anubias pearling

The shrimp

July 4
Sold the Anubias to a friend since it is too big for my nano tank.
Removed the huge lava rock, added Didiplis, Wendelov, Christmas moss, and Limnophila Aromatica (i love how they look like cornstalks)

The new plants haven't straightened up yet in these pictures. Now the only ones left crooked are the Didiplis, but they are starting to expand their leaves.

I planned my tank to be very spacious and just have a few plants. Guess that won;t happen now. The floating plant I got for free grows at a ridiculous rate. I started with 2 small ones. Now there are 3 huge ones and 2 small ones. The roots have grown long, so I had to cut a bit.

I lost a shrimp, now there are only 4 shrimps. no other inhabitants except for hitch hiker snails.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The "Shrimp Number 1 Sand" substrate looks like good stuff. Let us know how it works out for you.
You're off to a great start in that you seem to have a lot of light but no visible algae. Tank's still new so keep an eye out and cut down the lighting to two of those bulbs if it starts to be a problem.
Anyway, good start.
The hedgehog's cool, too.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Algae Grower

I saw that substrate on a website called aqua-charming.com. I emailed them to see if they would ship me some and a tank but never got a return. Do you happen to know of any places over there with websites that might ship to the U.S.? and nice tank.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, ugly genius.
I actually am starting to have some brown stuff grow on the leaves of the Bacopa and some HC. I tried using 1 bulb only and it looks bright still.

There are some gunk growing on the glass too.

The reason why I have so much light is because the LFS lady told me the HC needs a lot of light. These little plants are my fave of the bunch, and I want them to multiply. That reminds me, I've read that HC are supposed to grow horizontally. Mine is growing taller but not thicker. Am I doing something wrong? There are also no signs of multiplying that I can see.. it's been 4 days.

Regarding the substrate, it does look like good stuff. The stem plants are growing fast. It also seems like my shrimps prefer filtering the substrate than the moss. Out of the 4 shrimps I have, only 1 goes to the moss from time to time. The others are always on the substrate behind the plants.

I think I need some Otos quick. How many in a 5 gallon tank? 1 or 2?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deondrec View Post
I saw that substrate on a website called aqua-charming.com. I emailed them to see if they would ship me some and a tank but never got a return. Do you happen to know of any places over there with websites that might ship to the U.S.? and nice tank.
Thank you.
I live in the Philippines. The price of the substrate here is around $20 converted. Shipping is more than $100 so I don't recommend it.

That reminds me, I wanted to buy something from drsfosterandsmith, and they made me a quote. I saw the delivery using FedEx economy is around $110 and FedEx 2-3 business days is around $130+ if I remember correctly.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

crazy. i was just look at some pictures from i think its called aquarama. man! they had so many amazing products that ill never see for at least 5 years here in america. i think 2 otos would be fine.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

and the unknown plant is frogbit
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Algae Grower

man i use that substrate too!! which is very good!!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pretty! That tank is amazing!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, but I have a problem now.
It seems there are a few HC stems that are melting.. and they don't seem to be spreading.
Any ideas as to that?

The other plants are doing well, except for the HC and HM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quick update:

Today I went to another local hobbyist and got some stuff from him at a very very low price.

First are some local tanay shrimps. I guess these are the counterparts of the Amano shrimp.. which I haven't seen yet here. These are hardworking shrimps! Much more so than my Cherry Reds who are always hiding. These guys are active and they come in lots of colors. Although they are all transparent, some are greenish, some are yellowish, some bluish, and some blackish.

I also asked for some snails, and he gave me some. I like them because they help clean the glass. Here are two of them, are they mating?

I also saw 3 of these guys on my tank. Some type of Ramshorn snail? Anyhow, I removed them because I was told these are the worst kinds of snails in the tank.

One of the type of plants he gave me are these guys. As you can see, it is infested with a certain type of algae. Will otos eat these? What kind of algae is this?

Here's a tank shot.

This bacopa stem has almost doubled its height in the 5 days I've had him. Too bad his leaves are covered with diatoms
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Awesome tank! that doesn't look like a 5 gallon at all, keep up the good work
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Regarding your question about the HC and HM dying, it's too soon to tell if you're doing something wrong. It takes about a month for HC to start spreading in earnest. It's possible during this acclimation period that the HC does nothing or even appears to die. Just be cool, though. Eventually, it will root and spread.
As long as all your other plants are doing well, your HC will bounce back.
BTW, HC needs only moderate light to carpet. I find it to be less light-demanding than Glosso -- which only needs around twenty-five watts (medium-high) in a five gallon tank to carpet.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I am hoping this works out well, but it might be hard to find balance especially since this is my first time.

UG: Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated. Have been checking out your tanks and I admire the way you balance everything. As a result, I followed your suggestion in case of algae signs and turned off 1 bulb. Now the lights are at 28watts.

I have lots of diatoms on the leaves of my plants, and then as can be seen the pic above of the Micranthemum Umbrosum (not sure on this one). What type of algae is this? Would an oto eat this? I'm planning to get an oto or two before going to work before algae takes over my tank.

I'm also checking out CPDs or Microrasbora Zebras. Would 6 CPDs OR 6 Zebras fit in my 5 gallon tank with 1-2 otos?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode