ADA 30C: Blue Steel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
ADA 30C: Blue Steel

I made the unfortunate mistake of dropping in on AFA one day while walking along Fillmore in SF. A couple hundred bucks and countless hours of prune-y hands later, behold ... The Blue Steel (if you take this hobby too seriously you'll go crazy).
Substrate: Amazonia II base with a layer of Amazonia powder
CO2: the wildly overpriced ADA CO2 Advance System
Lighting: Archaea 27W 10000K.
Filtration: Eheim Ecco 2232
Hardscape: Chinese zebra rock. Haven't seen many tanks with this type of rock, and I think I know why. This stuff is an algae magnet. The white part of the stone is really porous and must take to algae spores really well.
Flora: a willy nilly collection of narrow fern, anubias barteri, HC, micro crypt, and rotala sp. pearl.
Fauna: 6 amanos (no names. too difficult to differentiate), 1 zebra nerite (Linas), and 1 mts (too itinerant to bother naming).
Ferts: the Estimative Index. "Estimative" being the operative word.

Couple shrimpies on view:

Alas, The Blue Steel is at about 4 months old and a few drastic alterations in (new filter, drastic rescape, reestablishing of bacteria for semi-embarrassing reasons), and while the algae is ...ahem... manageable right now, the tank requires a fair amount of vigilance. The amanos help, but I ask too much of them. It's getting better and I can only hope that I'm on the right track, but please tell me that this gets easier. I fear that I'm scrimping on the CO2 (those little ADA tanks, while attractive, are expensive. I keep it at about 1 bps), but I'm hopeful that The Blue Steel is simply finding it's center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
If you want to get a sloping effect, the Rotala is out of place unless youkeep it trimmed. Otherwise, the tank is amazing!

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love the slope to the sand!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That front-right rock looks really interesting. Actually they all look great, they make the sloping of the substrate seem like it should be there. I really like how you've captured the essence of moisture in this tank. As we all know, moisture is the essence of wetness...

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Reg is right. Moisture is the essence of wetness, and the essence of wetness is beuaty. And, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I can't wait to see ADA 30C: Magnum.
On a serious note, the tank looks great. One bps should be fine CO2-wise. You don't really have all that many light-loving, heavy breathers in that tank so if algae gets out of hand, just raise up the light fixture to reduce intensity and you should be fine. (HC carpets with much less light than many people think.)
The "roll" in the front of the substrate is fresh!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Very cool scape! All my thoughts have already been mentioned above, but I just thought I would add my compliments to the pool.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i really like your scape, different than many i see, i'm not an expert but have seen many nice tanks, one little thought, a nice little driftwood may look nice in the back right at the base of the left rock leaning towards right back and a branch or two extending over the front right rock

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
what a beautiful tank!

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words, all. Reg and UG, I'm flattered that you think I've managed to capture moisture with a bunch of water . Finfan, I think that you're responding to the gaping hole on the left side of the tank, but I kind of like the lack of symmetry. Regardless, I do agree that something's not quite right, but I'll let things mature a bit and then make some decisions. In the meantime, I just found some signs of staghorn in the tank. My first tank has proven to be a crash course in all the different kinds of algae. Will this ever end?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeha View Post
Thanks for the kind words, all. Reg and UG, I'm flattered that you think I've managed to capture moisture with a bunch of water . Finfan, I think that you're responding to the gaping hole on the left side of the tank, but I kind of like the lack of symmetry. Regardless, I do agree that something's not quite right, but I'll let things mature a bit and then make some decisions. In the meantime, I just found some signs of staghorn in the tank. My first tank has proven to be a crash course in all the different kinds of algae. Will this ever end?
The war with algae nevers ends sometimes it will usbside though.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
well try overdosing excel on occasion. it tends to help deal with algae.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update pics of The Blue Steel. Algae is still there, but seems to have settled and may in fact be abating. I've added some hydrocotyle verticillata and 4 endlers to help with some tiny worms that seem to have made a home for themselves in the substrate, and now The Blue Steel is home to 6 amano and 4 endlers. Am I maxing the bio load on this tank (7.2 gallons)? Anyhow, the tank is pretty stable and I'm finally reaping the gentle rewards of this hobby.

Amano doing his work in the fields.

Last edited by jaeha; 07-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jinsei888 Send a message via MSN to jinsei888 Send a message via Yahoo to jinsei888 Send a message via Skype™ to jinsei888
to keep with your ADA 30C theme of Blue Steel:

Terence K.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, Jinsei, one can only hope that my tank would be so perfect.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Omg...those Endler's looks awesome! Where'd you get them?

Have you checked out Ocean Aquarium on Cedar Street? It's hard to find, but it's an excellent fish store.

EDIT: I am seriously thinking of making the third picture my desktop background

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Tags
30c, ada, blue steel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode