3 gallon betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Talking 3 gallon betta tank

This tank has been taken down, the betta is now in a ten gallon with some neon tetras and sherry shrimp.

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the forum and to planted tanks for that matter, lol. So I need all the advise I can get. I'm wanting to fully plant my Betta's tank so I can get the hang of things before I start on my 10 gallon. (I have some Red ludwig and an Amazon Sword in the 10 gallon now, I may move them to the betta's tank once I get a good light for it.)

Here's waht I've got now:
-3 Gallon Tetra Water Wonders tank
-2-10gallon Whisper Interanl Filter
-Led clip-on light
-Substrate=Tahitan Moon Sand with Laterite on bottom

Right now I'm using fake plants but, I've ordered a few plants from anther member, thanks BMXMAN37!
-Marsala Quadrifolia or Four Leaf Clover
-Some Dwarf Hairgrass
-Christmas Moss, enough to get started..
-and Some Java Fern

I'm aslo wanting to find a plant that will gro tall, suggestions anyone?

I'm also planning to order a HOB Azoo Palm Filter(to replace the internal filter) for tanks up to 5 gallons, one of the 7.5 watt mini heaters, and a small piece of driftwood. I need some help from you all on lighting? I'm hoping to get all this ordered by Wednesday 7/8/09.

Any advise, tips, thoughts, or help are greatly appriciated!!

Here's some pictures of the tank and our betta:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	070109 014.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	14254  

Name:	candice 010.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	14255  

Name:	candice 013.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	14256  

The best part of my day is unwinding in front of my tank..............
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by candice&jeff; 12-18-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

Questions!!
1. Can some one direct me to some good reading? Or good threads?
2. Lighting?? I'm clueless as to what I need here.....
3. Fertilizers?? Again clueless....
4. Please tell me what you all think about my plan!! Suggestions, advice,....

Thanks Everyone!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Er...I thought I posted. Anyway, what I had said was that I'd avoid dwarf hairgrass, I've never had anything but trouble with it.

I like the look of the tank itself.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
welcome to the forum,
here is some good things to read up on
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ad.php?t=49718
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17

I can't really speak for lighting or ferts.
Just start slow and work your way up, have a plan on how you want your tank to look and don't rush things...well thats my 2cents
good luck

-Crim
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip Phoenix-Cry, by the way I love your art!! I've already ordered the Dwarf HG, so I guess I'll try my luck.

CB57 thanks for the reading and advice!!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I'm with Phoenix-cry. You picked a good selection of low light plants, with the exception of the hairgrass, which prefers higher light. I have a 2.5 gallon tank myself (shrimp tank, not betta tank, but close enough), and I just use a desklamp over it. Easy, efficient, and cheap.

I'd go with the java fern, moss, and marsilea and maybe throw some floating plants on top to make the beta a little happier. For tall growing plants, you can go with some needle-leaf or narrow-leaf java fern, or just use some driftwood and tie moss to it for height. That will keep your 3 gallon very low maintenance. I wouldnt even dose the tank with any ferts as long as your lighting is reasonably low.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
I'm with Phoenix-cry. You picked a good selection of low light plants, with the exception of the hairgrass, which prefers higher light. I have a 2.5 gallon tank myself (shrimp tank, not betta tank, but close enough), and I just use a desklamp over it. Easy, efficient, and cheap.

I'd go with the java fern, moss, and marsilea and maybe throw some floating plants on top to make the beta a little happier. For tall growing plants, you can go with some needle-leaf or narrow-leaf java fern, or just use some driftwood and tie moss to it for height. That will keep your 3 gallon very low maintenance. I wouldnt even dose the tank with any ferts as long as your lighting is reasonably low.

What type of light bulb would you suggest for the desklamp? I'm so glad I did ok on getting low-light plants, and no ferts!! Even better lol!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question

Hello again everyone, I was hoping you all could give me a little more advise on lighting, I still fell unsure about what to get. Anyway, I found this led light http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=20413 and wanted to see if you all thought it would be ok it's 7watts witch would give me 2.34 watts per gallon.

I thought these (led lights) were only used for nocturnal lighting?? I currently have a led light on the tank (it's about half the size of the one I'm looking at) and it's not very bright, but I thought I would ask you all anyway, and see what your thoughts were.

Thanks again everyone!!

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
When you start getting into higher watts per gallon the light is no longer the limiting factor so to have high light by no extra CO2 will just produce algae. 7 watts would be good for a low light tank with no extra CO2. I've never used LED, but I know people around here have.

And even though you've ordered the hairgrass...I might just not bother with it, it makes a horriable mess when it dies.

Good luck!

Glad you like the art!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
By the way, Tiger Barbs, Plecos, and Pictus Catfish grow too big for a 10 gallon

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip Ph. Sky, I think I'll take you advice.

I know the fish in my 10 gallon will out grow it, the 10 gallon was my first tank ever. I've done a ton of research since then. I had no idea when I bought them. Right now they are all happy and healthy. We're planning to get a 29 gallon soon to move them to, we also plan to up the number of tiger barbs to at least 9.

I know the pleco is going to get to big for that also, so we plan to give him to a friend of ours with a 55 gallon. We might also give him the glo-fish danios if sticks to his plan for a school of them in his tank.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by candice&jeff; 07-07-2009 at 08:28 PM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just another update, I went out and bought a clamp on desk lamp today, I also bought a 9watt (40watt equiv.) 5500K compact floresent daylight bulb. So I figure 3 watts per gallon. Do you all think I will need to ferts with this lighting? If s owhat do you suggest? Florish? Sorry for all the questions I'm a noob. lol.

Last edited by candice&jeff; 07-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
hey, looks like your off to a good start. that plants i shipped you were grown with 2 23watt 6500k cfl's and clip on lamps from walmart and their $10 filter with a diy co2 drilled in, i never used any ferts,, just a little excel , and the tank grew insane.. also i threw in some ludwiga that stuff gets pretty tall... good background plant imop.. good luck!!!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm of the opinion that you should wait until your tank establishes before you start dosing Excel & ferts. Just keep an eye on your plants. They'll tell you. Typically for me, it's about 2 months in before I start dosing my nano-betta tanks (I have a 3gal, 2 2gals, and a 6.6gal Betta tanks). I use clip on lights on most of them with 14W CFL spirals. I know they aren't the best lights for plants, but I'm not after super high-growth. Just happiness.

Good luck and post pictures when you can!
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking

Thanks for the responses!! I should get the plants today I'll post pics once I get done scaping.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode