Dosing for jars? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dosing for jars?

Okay, I have two jars. One is 1.5 gallons the other is 2.5 gallons. I've only had the 1.5 running for about a week. The lighting comes from a 60W CF that is held about a foot up off the water's surface. It has java moss, java fern, riccia, and pelia in it.

...and now it has more hair algae than you can shake a stick at!!

There are crystal red shrimp and betta fry living in there and I've killed shrimp with Excel before so I haven't been dosing and I'm a little afraid to.

Anyone out there with jars and if so how do you dose them or otherwise keep them algae free? I can't believe how quickly it grew!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
What are you using? I use all the seachem products and have successfully dosed jars and bowls the same size you are using. Someone gave me a spreadsheet that calculates the dosage based on the gallons you enter in. Let me know if you're using that line and I'll help you out if I can.

I had/have shrimp in containers that size and it didn't harm them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have Excel and Plant Gold. I know the dose for Plant Gold, it's the Excel I need help with.

Thanks!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:00 AM
NO3
Algae Grower

I go between 4 to 6 drops of Excel daily for my 1 gal cube using a medicine dropper a little smaller to one from an infant Tylenol bottle. I see no ill effect going up or down either way.

I would start with 4 drops first and see what happens.

4" cube,

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to il2fd
Work it out based on the calculations on the bottle.... x recommended excel divided by the stated tank volume on bottle x your tank volume. I cant remember what is on the bottle and Im at work but these numbers are a guess. eg 30litre tank....5ml (excel) / 70 (or whatever it says to use the recommended amount to) x 30 (Litres for the tank) = 2.14(ml).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Math? You want me to do math? Giggle. If I could do math I could have figured it out myself. giggle.

I'll try four drops to start. Thanks everyone!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you want to be exact, go to a local pharmacy and ask for a tuberculin syringe. (no, they won't think you are a junkie if you explain why you want one.) These syringes are 1 mL, with .1 graduations on the cylinder.

Your maintenance dose for daily excel according to seachem instructions is .1 ml per gallon... so .15 mL for the 1.5 gallon jar, and .25 for the 2.5 gallon jar. This is what I use to dose my small tank, (have a 1g vase) and it works great, allows much more control. also works well with micros/other ferts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Great idea. I can get a syringe from my local farm supply.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode