Good plants for a low tech nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good plants for a low tech nano?

I just picked up an ADA Mini S for my office, and I'm looking to put together a low tech, low maintenance tank. I'm going with mineralized topsoil, no ferts, no co2. I'm looking for plants that will do well in this setup and that will grow slowly enough that I won't need to trim frequently. So far I have some marsilea minuta, so I've got foreground covered, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it.

Any recommended plants for midground/background? I was thinking maybe some driftwood with moss, but it would have to be something slow growing. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You might have trouble with that marsilea without ferts or CO2, but you'd probably have a hard time growing any foreground plant in a setup like that. One option could be making a mat of java moss and using that for ground cover.

Java ferns, anubias, wisteria - all would probably do well in a tank like that.

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
You might have trouble with that marsilea without ferts or CO2, but you'd probably have a hard time growing any foreground plant in a setup like that.
I picked marsilea because it was the only foreground plant that everyone seemed to think would do well without high light/co2. Do you know of people who have had a bad experience with marsilea in low light?

Quote:
Java ferns, anubias, wisteria - all would probably do well in a tank like that.
I'm not a huge fan of java fern, but I'll look into anubias and wisteria. Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Actually, when I was looking at some kind of ground cover to use in my low-light low-tech shrimp tank, marsilea was mentioned as the only foreground plant that I'd have a prayer with. That just didn't sound encouraging, so I didn't try it. Let me now if you do. I may get some myself.

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use microswords for the foreground in my low tech tank. I have somewhere around 2 wpg or less and minimal ferts. No C02. They don't take over but they haven't died or anything.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
could add C.wendtii, marimo ball, and water sprite to that list
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Actually, when I was looking at some kind of ground cover to use in my low-light low-tech shrimp tank, marsilea was mentioned as the only foreground plant that I'd have a prayer with. That just didn't sound encouraging, so I didn't try it. Let me now if you do. I may get some myself.
Well, I've got marsilea in a 10g that started out as DIY co2. I moved about a month to a month-and-a-half ago and haven't bothered to set the co2 back up. I've been dosing excel, along with other ferts, and the marsilea seems to be doing fine so far, though it's gotten a little leggy. Not really the fastest growing foreground, though, even when it did have co2. I'll let you know how it does in my nano.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anubias nana petite, Crypt wendtii and/or other Crypts, flame moss, Java moss, Taiwan moss, other mosses.

Windelov fern is an unusual-looking type of Java fern that would also work if you don't like regular Java. Or needle-leaf Java.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode