Going to journal the progress of this lil' guy here. Started back in September last year. I've got lots of pictures from January on, but for now I've only gone thru and resized Sept. 14 - Jan. 15, so more pictures will come.
So, substrate is small lava rock base to form the mound, MTS, black sand cap. Simple rock hardscape. Started w/ 3 I think, add some more later.
Plants to start were cryptocoryne wendtii
"tropica", staurogyne repens
, eleocharis parvula
Lighting started as 2 cheap evil bay leds, changed after flood to finnex clamp w/ 10 w cfl.
DSM'd for a while. All pics in this post are from my phone. Sorry for fingers in reflection
2 weeks later
4 more weeks, October 23
Felt like the crypts were taking over, wasn't sure about using them in the first place. Before flood I cut em down and pulled a couple runners out, but they came back pretty quickly. You can see a little one peeking out.
Jan 2015 Week by week comparisons
End of week 4, Jan 28
Some other angles by week
The crypt. Constantly amazed by the colors in this one, hard to convey thru pictures.
Last one for now, Jan 24.
More to come, I have a few nicer ones from my DSLR, but the battery doesn't hold much of a charge any more so I've got much less than with past tanks.