2.5g Hillside - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5g Hillside

Going to journal the progress of this lil' guy here. Started back in September last year. I've got lots of pictures from January on, but for now I've only gone thru and resized Sept. 14 - Jan. 15, so more pictures will come.

So, substrate is small lava rock base to form the mound, MTS, black sand cap. Simple rock hardscape. Started w/ 3 I think, add some more later.

Plants to start were cryptocoryne wendtii "tropica", staurogyne repens, eleocharis parvula

Lighting started as 2 cheap evil bay leds, changed after flood to finnex clamp w/ 10 w cfl.

DSM'd for a while. All pics in this post are from my phone. Sorry for fingers in reflection

September 5

2 weeks later

4 more weeks, October 23

Felt like the crypts were taking over, wasn't sure about using them in the first place. Before flood I cut em down and pulled a couple runners out, but they came back pretty quickly. You can see a little one peeking out.

Jan 2015 Week by week comparisons

Wk 1

Wk 2

Wk 3

Wk 4

End of week 4, Jan 28

Some other angles by week

Next

Next

Next

The crypt. Constantly amazed by the colors in this one, hard to convey thru pictures.

Last one for now, Jan 24.

More to come, I have a few nicer ones from my DSLR, but the battery doesn't hold much of a charge any more so I've got much less than with past tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More photo vomit

February stuffs
Moundage from behindage

his friend in dsm

Feb. 8

Last days of Feb.

Bubbles still around 2 days after wc

lil' crypt comin along

big brother

March
Mar. 25 - 31

At this point, the dhg was starting to take over the staraugyne. Crypt also starting to take some light from it. Anyways, that's all I got for tonight!

EDIT:
Before Feb. is gone for good, here's the few dslr shots I have from then. HDR, colors a little more accurate.

Last edited by CannaBrain; 07-14-2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added... even more pictures
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

April - June

Work picks up, maintenance slows down.

Apr. 18

No photos from May. Very, very busy month for me!

Jun. 19

Remember those beer bottles w/ "lucky bamboo" that were flanking the tank above this one (see picture above)? Wellp, I was moving plugs, trying to get another tank on the same timer... and the chord from the one near one of the bottles knocked it over... Broken glass canopy! Still works, just in pieces

Staurogyne continues to diminish as crypt continues to take light and dhg invades. July is pretty.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really like dhg, I wish I could get a carpet going but mine always melts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smug vic View Post
I really like dhg, I wish I could get a carpet going but mine always melts.
Wellp, if you can be patient, I've always had success with they dry start method and dhg. The other important thing is nutrient-rich substrate. Lighting I honestly dont think is as important of a factor; I've got it growing in low light, med light, and high light. DHG is perfect for MTS or dirted tanks. Or highly priced "aqua soil" type substrates. Can take a while to batch up, but IMHO, mineralized top soil is the best substrate if you're not looking to spend almost any money at all. Or if you just want happy plants

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That stone is not lava rock. It will raise KH.

Tony

My

and my

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
That stone is not lava rock. It will raise KH.
You're right, the main stones used are not lava rock, and I never said they were if you were to read my OP. It's commonly referred to as "Zebra Rock," in the aquarium hobby, but zebra rock on google yields different results. It's not affecting my KH at all. I'm 10 months in. What I said was lava rock is the LAVA ROCK used to form the base of the substrate. See the 1st picture in the second post. Layered as so: lava rock on the bottom, mineralized top soil, then sand.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

Very inspirational that you are able to get a CO2 look....without CO2. Makes me want to (finally) give dirt a try.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Algae Grower

That is an absolutely gorgeous scape, I wish I could put something like that together.

Tank is love, tank is life

The Fraternity of Dirt

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

July

Supercracker, thank you for your kind words! A very simple and low-maintenance scape, I'm sure you could acheive a similar look.

Ziggy, give it a go!

Here's some quick shots from July.

from da phone

dslr

Got a new (used) dslr recently, hopefully I'll get back to nicer photos again soon. Happy planting all!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode