Getting started - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting started

Hi everyone, I am a new planted tank owner. 6 gallon tank that is 16wide 10.5high 8deep with a 25W incandescent light bulb. I am running an up to 20 gallon Aquaclear filter on low and have a heater set to 76f-80f. There is 1inch to 1.5inches of fluorite black sand with dwarf hairgrass and 1 flourish tab right in the middle of the aquarium under the substrate. I have a 2L bottle with 2cups sugar 1/2 teaspoon yeast and 6cups water for a DIY CO2 system. Plants are Java Fern, Cryptocoryne and Moss on the tree, I don't remember what kind it is though. 2 Amber Tetra 2 Glowlight Tetra.

Questions:
1) Should I invest in a CO2 system (if so what one)
2) Are my plants getting enough nutrients also will my dwarf grass carpet
3) Should I change my light (if so what kind)
4) How many fish should I max out at
5) Would love to get some shrimp any suggestions of the kind
6) Suggestions on cool looking fish to add
Any other feedback is appreciated too!
Thanks in advance
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150706_201415.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	494193
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

Since you are just starting with planted tank, you should go with low tech planted tank! Here are some example of what you can achieve at lower costs https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=880713

Going into co2 system will require also a balance of nutrients, can also be expensive. If you want something more high tech, with CO2 system, etc. You will need to do some homework and research =)

If you decide to go more low tech, i will be glad to help and following your progress!

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Honestly I don't think your dwarf grass will carpet under a 25w incandescent. Its tough to grow right as it will tend to grow up instead of carpet when it doesn't have enough light. Upgrading your light will require you to either get more plants if you want to run a medium light setup or run a better pressurized setup if you want to shoot for high light.

I've kept cherry shrimp with ember tetras before without an issue. I cant comment on any other fish. I'd say that if the fish is small with a very small mouth you'd be fine. As long as you don't pick a naturally aggressive fish.

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@Blesser13: I would love to go low tech, those tanks look amazing. Any advice and help would be much appreciated!

Bump: @Gplus I am thinking of getting rid of the dwarf hairgrass and replacing it with a moss that will carpet and later down the road maybe get some cherry shrimp how were they with cleaning the tank and how active where they?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cherry shrimp have their days. Some days they will dart around the tank and some days they'll pick a spot and hang out. Just be aware a 6g tank will need a lot of water changes if your shrimp population explodes. I was 17 when I first kept cherry shrimp. I used a 5g tank. I let the population explode from around 10 to well over 50 and almost overnight I had a massive die off because of water quality. A small tank is always more work, just be ready for it. That being said, they will "clean" the tank scavenging for leftover food but they are still a bio-load.

Shrimp love moss and it does well under low light! Give the hair grass a chance before you get rid of it. It may do what you want it to do if you trim it once it starts to try and grow upwards. You could also try removing the lid and buy a cheap "clamp on" shop light. That would allow you to run enough light to carpet the hair grass.

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode