6.6 gallon rcs planted nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
6.6 gallon rcs planted nano tank

i got around to getting my 6.6gallon out this weekend and attempted to start my first ever planted nano tank, just so everyone knows, the dimensions of the tank are 23.75" long, 7.5" deep, and 9" high (so the footprint is almost like a 20 gallon and definitely larger than a regular 10 gallon)

i got 10 RCS from a local fishboxer and i could not resist getting 3 celestial pearl danios and 3 pygmy cories, i had the filter for this tank running on another tank for the last year, so i just moved the filter with the media... walla instantly cycled tank (at least i hope so, readings are good)

i made the mistake again of not getting all material beforehand and just scrambled through my storage aquarium supplies and got some driftwood and rock and some sand, it is a start, i will rescape in a few months

the shrimps have colored up quite a bit in the last 24 hours, but my camera is no good on these little bittie shrimps, they are very active and acting like they have been here for a while, the rcs are surprisingly not too shy and come out of the back quite often, the cories are the most social and go around the tank as a group, i could not get good pictures, also for unknown reason the water is cloudy!

here are some pix:

3 cpds

few more shots of cpds

please make comments and suggestions, i'm new to this nano thing - so don't crush me

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love it so far! CPD rock. How about some taller plants for the background? Also putting a layer of black paint on the back of the tank will go a long way for making it 'pop'.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, as for 'instant cycle' It's not really instant. It just makes it all go faster, but with such a small bioload you should be able to get away with it. You'll find readings are the worst 3-4 days after getting a tank going.

The water is cloudy due to New Tank Syndrome, that's bacteria floating in the water. The shrimp may not take well to that.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love those tanks, i really wanna get one but I'll have to wait. Your tank look good but like phoenix said taller plants would really help the scape.
Nice start

-Crim
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Algae Grower

Hi.
If I were you I would add 3 more cpds and 2 more corydoras because they really like to live in groups of 5 and more...In nature they school by hundreds. I really like your rock and wood. I would also advise taller plants and/or epiphytes.
You're on a great start!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks guys, i also agree on adding stem plants, i made a big mistake of not adding much substrate (about 1/2 inch to an inch thickness), so i think eventually i will have to redo the entire tank, but i will wait till it is settled in, any suggestions on how i'm going to capture all the shrimp, i'm afraid if i just dump more sand they will get berried, i will have to go look for some more cpd's and corys, but i will wait a little so that i don't have a sudden doubling of bioload, please advise on how to best add more substrate (catch the shrimp)

btw, the cloudiness has considerably gone down this morning

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
check out the 99 cent shrimp trap in the shrimp&invert section
and you could probably cut a large peice of PVC in 1/2 then put it on the side and poor the sand in, then spread it out then repeat untill you have depth
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

a quick update, i have not been able to find time to get some more sand for substrate and do a rescape, but i did put some trimmings from my 65 gallon a few days ago and they have alreredy grown a little, heres a full tank shot as of 10 minutes ago

here's from the other side

i do not intend to keep any plant in the front, i will put them all in the back when i do rescape, also, i really think i need to put a background, that filter looks awful in the back

the shrimp have all colored up, some more than others, here's a fat one, is she pregnant?

here's another one, sorry about poor pix quality, my camera is really not for shrimp pix

here's a shot of cpd, they have really colored up and they are not really as shy as i have read in most places, i went back to LFS for more but they have all sold out!

here's all three, i could not get a clear one, they move very fast

so far i don't think i have had any losses shrimp or fish

any advice is welcome

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good, I bet if you added sand slowly the shrimp would move out of the way.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes, i plan to use a tube of some sort, but i also want to move around the hardscape (wood/rock)

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The shrimp may be quick to investigate, but they seem to have an innate understanding of mortal peril. They will probably get out of the way when it starts really coming down.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank. Coming together very well!

I recently added a layer of black gravel over my flourite in my shrimp tank. If you don't just dump it all in at once the shrimp will have plenty of time to scoot away.

I can't tell from your pic if that female RCS is pregnant or not. If she is, she'll be carrying yellowish or greenish eggs under her tail and she'll "juggle" them with her swimmerets almost constantly.

Here's a pic of my currently "berried" girls:

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the advice, cool pic there strick

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

quick update, i have not been able to add more sand/substrate or change the scape, the plants have grown a little bit, the moss actually has some growth, although you can't see from pic, all inhabitants doing well, here's a FTS

i added a sparkling gourami couple of days ago, this little guy is really neat looking and got comfortable right away and already colored up a little bit...brilliant blue irridescent, i tried to take pix, but my bad camera is just not working for this tank, so it does not do the little thing justice

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Planted Member

Tank is looking great, I just started the same tank check it out and lemme know what you think i should do with it next. I want cherry shrimp but not sure what plants to get to make it "friendly" for them to breed and populate.

Also what do you use to clean the inside and outside of your tank? This plastic seems to scratch if you look at it funny.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode