Sol's 5gal Nano Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sol's 5gal Nano Journal

I am very excited to share my latest project with you all. I have had a wild 5gal tank for a while now. I've kept an assortment of fish in it from the local ditches and ponds. I've finally settled on a nano-stock and begun planting the tank.

The only plants right now are Ricca and the algae ball. I'm trying to get the ricca to carpet everything if possible. I'm also adding bacopa and possibly lace java fern since it stays so short.

I'm ferting with leaf zone and excel. I don't know yet if I want to add caps for the bacopa (thoughts?)

The lighting is led, so not much. All in all it's a simple little tank.

As of now the stock is going to be
trio of mosquito fish. I have 2 spotted males an a regular male. Females get too large. Males stay under 2" and stay at the top of the water column.

5-7 least killifish. These are the second smallest fish in the world. I'm keeping males and maybe 2 ladies. They stay under an inch, the males max out at a little over half an inch. they stay in the middle

2 wild flag fish. females. Wilds stay at the 2" mark and stick to the bottom. I may or may not stick with these guys depending on how they react.

Both the least killifish and mosquito fish prefer high density tanks with lots of their own kind which is why this stocking should work out. The flags may or may not tolerate this. I collect all of these guys from the same area but the flags have a significantly less density.

I'm also adding a few wild ghost shrimp which actually have nice color and are very durable.

Last edited by Solitarianknight; 07-07-2015 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Aliens made me do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wish riccia wouldn't be such a mess to keep! It gets everywhere! But it definitely looks good!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice project you have.

I think carpeting with Riccia in such low light would be troublesome. Why don't you use some type of moss. It is easier to manage and grows even in low light.

With the fish load you have I believe that Bacopa can grow without added ferts. It might benefit from them, though.

We want pics of the fish

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I wish riccia wouldn't be such a mess to keep! It gets everywhere! But it definitely looks good!
Every single time I touch the tank little ricca frags get everywhere its a total pain. I use my fingers to push it all back into the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Nice project you have.

I think carpeting with Riccia in such low light would be troublesome. Why don't you use some type of moss. It is easier to manage and grows even in low light.

With the fish load you have I believe that Bacopa can grow without added ferts. It might benefit from them, though.

We want pics of the fish
Probably be what I end up doing. I haven't had moss since my crayfish days.

Went out today and got the rest of the fish and a huge clump of bacopa.

I had to change the stock. Least killi are not in season right now. I manged to find 4 but i'm not sure if they will tolerate such a small group. For now it's a mosquito fish palace.

Atm I have a trio of Flag killi. Originally I wanted 2 females because wild females seem to acclimate way better than wild males. However, I found a fully grown male today, beautiful colors, and decided to try it. He's doing good right now and if he stays solid I'll move one of the ladies out. I have pics of them below

I also have the 4 least killi. Right now the are probably less than half an inch long. Not really able to take pics of them but I do have a few pics from my old group.

Then I have 4 mosquito fish. 2 spotted males, pics below, and 2 females. I'm only keeping one female and she's rather large (2") because female mosquito fish are one of the most aggressive fish i've kept.

Also added 15 ghost shrimp which are doing well. The mosquito's like to hunt them and I throw a few to the paradise fish.

PICS most of them are from the old tank.

Here's the boy i got today. He's doing fine I think. He's duking it out with the mosquito's for control of the pot.

Here's some pics of my female flags

Here's the spotted male mosquito fish. The morph shows up in about 1 out of every 300-500 males I'd say. It takes me a while to catch them. The are actually the origns of the Dalmatian genes.

Least killi. I find my wild Least Killi to be 100X more colorful than what you see commercially.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So I did this thing with the light and it turns out back lighting a tank is a good way to take shrimp pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode